NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: JimCrandell

Not right in my opinion to take serious posts and turn them into what punk rock band is best or what the favorite Kinks song is or how you feel about your dog and on and on and on. Seems to be increasing in frequency. Not to say that I have not been guilty of this in the past as I have responded to pro-abortion or anti-Reagan or anti-Bush posts.

None of it has a place here--do it in private e-mails or visit another message board.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Josh Adams

Wrong thread.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I don't think there was any referendum on the Kinks; perhaps the Jam instead. Speaking of, Paul Weller is in NYC for three nights this week at Irving Plaza playing songs from the Jam, Style Council and his solo career.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jeff,

Bruce Dorskind posts on a serious issue--and it turns into a thread about the Kinks.

I post on a serious issue and it turns into a thread on punk rock bands.

Under this definition I can just interject on any and every thread and turn it into something other than it was intended to be.

I think it is wrong and should stop.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Colt McClelland

Maybe there is a hidden message in what is going on with the hijacking of those threads. Take a hint. Get a clue. Pull your head out. Use your imagination. Read between the lines.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Colt,

Whats the matter--no dealers to apologize for--ha ha ha.

Get a life.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Josh Adams

George is getting angry!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dan Bretta

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!11!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: joe brennan

Step off George.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dave

I think the fire your about to have thrown at you through this thread is really something you bring on yourself. I'm not too sure why you'd even start this up knowing what it is going to cause. If your wanting to just talk cards, nothing else..then do that...bringing this thread into existance is doing exactly what you say you can't stand, being off-topic. For the most part I think the majority of the threads are hobby-related...a few may stray here or there for more or less humorous reasons...I don't see anything wrong with that. Some people enjoy laughing now and then. If you want to stay on topic by all means do that, but why in the world would you start a thread being as forceful as you sounded with the "go to another message board" type statement? This is exactly the reason there are lurkers that have no desire to post here.

Dave

Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I believe that Jim enjoys the confrontation...there is no other explanation for his continued arrogance. Much the same way Bruce continues to refer to himself as "we" even though good friends have asked him not to do so. It's nothing more than trolling.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Steve f

Jim,

I see your point, but don't underestimate Bruce, he's highly knowledgeable and from my observations, he's got the thickest skin of us all. We, on the otherhand, are just a bunch of insecure, aging, *overweight and balding 'teenagers' hungup on baseball cards, bands from the 80's and defunct sitcoms. We often stray like kids off Ritalin, but overall quite harmless.

That thread will be back on track in no time.

*Okay, those that haven't called Jenny yet.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Dave,

The vast majority of the lurkers that I know of that do not post here do not post because of the harsh attitude of certain respondents and the fear that they will be attacked.

If people have nothing better to do(like Colt) to attack me for trying to keep a serious post on topic then I feel sorry for them.
\
Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Chad

I'm not overweight!

--Chad

Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Mike

I'm far from insecure. Quite the contrary.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Dan,

Not arrogant--its a baseball card board not a punk rock board.

I think Leon has a rule for OT threads that they are occasionally allowed-I don't have a problem with that but participants should not take serious threads and turn them into whatever they want to talk about.

If that is the new rule--Leon?--then I can think of a lot of threads I could start interjecting my opinions on music, politics etc. on.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: leon

Whilst we (my beagle and I) don't want to sound ignorant we think people bring on much of what they get. If you know what we mean? No, we will not let most threads be hijacked. That would be detrimental to the board. take care....

Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Rich Klein

A little harmless hijacking of a thread is not that bad. Talking about Music or Seinfeld is kind of a way to bring all of together. On the other hand, I don't think I ever want to arrange a dinner in New York

You notice there are never any name calling or real temper in those fun hijacks. And even Leon lets a little flexibility go, but trust me when I say I had not the perfect day yesterday and wanted to put a smile on my face when I went and formally hijacked the thread of Bruce's today -- it was not personal towards Bruce, but I never hear enough of the good Kinks songs on the Radio any more.

We now return to the standard threads --

Regards
Rich

Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: leon

How would you like to do lunch today? Tin Star has our name on it....lmk...Pick you up at 11?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I think that, at a minimun, the original intent of the hijack should be adhered to. Mr. Klein asked for your favorite Kinks song. Too many of you listed several songs. Next thing, hijacked threads will be hijacked. Oh the slippery slope!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Rich Klein

Let me come up to your office; it's on the way; assuming you are at the same place. Give me a shout at my work #

Rich

Old 02-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Rich,

Just start a separate thread on the Kinks--why not--anything goes--no need to hijack Bruce's serious post.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim, for the record, I doubt many pro-choice people are pro-abortion. Just like you wouldn't want to be called racist for being against Affirmative Action.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Ditto what Colt said.

Edited to add: I think pretty much everything on Lola vs. Powerman and the Money-Go-Round was very good--hard to pick a favorite.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jeff,

Disagree--pro-choice/pro-abortion same thing.

Todd,

Be nice if you could contribute to the board in a positive way.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim,
Just curious so far if you feel it has bettered the board by coming up with this thread?

Dave

Old 02-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Dave,

If it results in no more extraneous posts, no question about it--perhaps it will make people think twice before they hijack someones post.

Jim

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: ramram

I completely agree with Jim.

On another note...who do you guys think will win the big game this weekend?

Rob M.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I did, do and will do again.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Jason L

a thread about hijacked threads, which itself struggles to stay on topic!

these things are like wild animals: fun to watch and look at, approach at your own risk, and whenever one gets loose and out of hand, the same comment pops up: "It's a wild animal, not a suitable pet - you never know what it's going to do!"

Leon is like a lion tamer!
just beware if he starts talking with an accent and starts a show in Vegas...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Bob

Jim- I disagree. If a man is pro-choice because he believes a woman has a right to say what happens with her body and that that decision is between her and her God, that doesn't make the man pro-abortion. I personally don't believe in abortion but I don't presume to be judgmental about a woman's right to decide. I wish all the advocates of banning abortions would remember when only the rich and the privileged could get abortions and the alternative for the poor and non-privileged included back alleys, coat hangers and butchers. I also wish the advocates would get on the band wagon and help support legislation for the financial care and nurturing of babies who are born in to intolerable situations whether it be serious birth defects or horrible environments. It seems sometimes that many right to lifers can be very adamant about preventing the abortion of a fetus but once the child is born, not wish to contribute a plug nickel's worth of help for them.
Just my 2 cents.
Bob

Old 02-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jim, I would assume that you must be pro-abortion because how else could you claim to know what is in the minds of people that are pro-choice? Frankly, I'm shocked that someone like you could be so conservative and also be pro-choice. I guess you'll be voting for Rudy in the upcoming primaries.

If you're not pro-choice and you're just imagining what people believe that are pro-choice, I'll have to correct you: there are plenty of pro-choice people that are against abortion per se. They just ultimately feel that the decision on what a woman does with her body, no matter if thought to be repugnant, should be her choice and not the choice of a bunch of old white men wearing black robes.

As for Leon's mention of euthanasia, in your mind you would believe that anyone who is for such a thing is also pro-murder. Can you see the distinction?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: E, Daniel

Jim,

I'm thinking you need to do what you've often remarked to others that find a thread not to their liking....just skip to the next.
And though there maybe something you find interesting or important in the original post or some of the follow up, if the answers fall away or don't get to the points you want to hit on - start a new thread with those specifics in mind.
I understand what you're trying to say, but many on the board obviously have bonds and friendships and the side-notes to the discussions add alot to their enjoyment of the site and the hobby. Me too in fact, and if I could just get a little less strident about issues i feel are important (and there are sooo many of them) there might be a few more smiley faces thrown my way
You too, I get the feeling.
And it snowballs. When people like you more and respect you more (Bruce's major problem unfortunately), they tend to take what you have to say or ask more seriously - and respond with more of the specifics in an attempt to help out on the topic. It's kind of like second grade, you have to earn your stripes all over again. I wish I packed better lunches

Regards
Daniel

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Well done here Jim...
off topic from Seinfeld and the Kinks to politics and abortion...still think you did a swell job?

Dave

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Sid Lives

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 02-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: cmoking

Hijacking threads on a consistent basis, regardless of the original poster, is, IMO, a despicable act. I wish it would stop. After all...is this truly a vintage baseball card forum or a punk rock forum? If it is a punk rock forum, please let me know and I can stop visiting.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: barrysloate

I understand why some people object to hijacked threads, but please remember we've formed a kind of community on the board, and many of us, even though we may have never met, consider each other friends. And when friends get together, and they sit around and shoot the breeze, conversation tends to digress. Perhaps that is what is going on here- there are many card issues we could all be discussing but there are points in the day when we all just want to have a little light fun. It's easy to say why not just start a thread about the Kinks, but nobody would actually think of doing that.

There are also some people on the board that because of erratic posts have lost some respect, and perhaps those threads are just not taken as seriously as others. What comes around goes around.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

King, what are the rules when the creator of a thread on hijacked threads contributes to the hijacking himself?

Perhaps we could set up a committee to review and implement such rules.

Barry, this will be the first matter discussed at the NYC Dinner Thread Meeting of next week. I have nominated you as Recording Secretary so I would appreciate if you could make note of this Rule of Order.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jeff, I'm talking about threads that are purposelly hijacked for the sole purpose of muddling the waters and changing the subject of the thread, or flooding the thread with posts about other topics so that the original topic is no longer relevant. I'm not talking about friends that accidentally hijack a thread and have a tangential discussion about something else. I'm talking about it being a deliberate act to shut up the original poster.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: barrysloate

Can I be the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler?...or should I just bring my notepad?

And I've decided not to enter the abortion debate, other than to say it is not my place to tell other people what to do!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

King, I don't know that such a thing happens very often out here. In a way, there is natural selection at work here: if a topic is not embraced by a large number of posters it is usually ignored and dies a quick death. If the thread is started by someone who is not embraced by a large number of posters, occasionally hijacking occurs. I find this unfortunate when it comes to anything that Bruce posts because I find him to be incredibly knowledgeable. I also think that his recent thread about the dearth of high-end cards on ebay is a good one and he is correct: I am also frustrated at having to pay a 20% BP on high end cards at the private auctions because, for some reason, sellers would rather net 75% percent than 95% on ebay. As for purposely provocative and obnoxious threads, ultimately, as I noted above, natural selection takes over and the thread is fouled by others.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Steve f

Ethics, rules, commitees, jees... There may a cynical Seinfeld reference in Max's Birthday thread.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Jason L

you should bring your "Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler" notepad. I would assume you keep it in a separate desk drawer, as it shouldn't be soiled by being in storage with the more common notepads...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Jeff, natural selection is one thing, but proactive artificial semination is something else.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Barry, yes, I am unilaterally also granting you Grand Poobah status for the NYC Dinner Thread II Meeting. And as an arch-conservative (at least on 1 issue), I duly note the code words contained in your posting on the issue of abortion and will forward your personal contact info to the Central Scrutinizer so that he can take corrective measures. Perhaps one of the friendly counselors will go easy on you this time and give you a doughnut and tell you to stick closer to church-oriented social activities.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: bruce dorskind

It has long been our understanding that the raison d'etre
for the Board was to have a forum to discuss rare baseball
cards

We think the discussions should be limited to issues surrounding
baseball card collecting and not issues about politics, dead horses
or drug infested rock n roll groups.

Whilst, we pay little heed to the cadre of sarcastic and irrelevant
remarks from those who choose to focus on "off topic subjects" or
attack collectors because they use certain tenses or only limit their
collecting interests to quality items, we do have one observation.

The more frequent the off topic and stolen posts, the more insignificant
the Board will become.

You will note that the country's most distinguished collectors either
choose never to post, or if they do post, it is always on target with
a comment which provides valuable knowledge to the entire collecting
community.

For those with nothing better to do than attack and focus on the
drug infested rockers...enjoy the trip...no one who matters cares.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 02-01-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: john/z28jd

Did Leon and Rich just make a lunch date on here?

Hey i have off all day too,anyone wanna do lunch thats near the Jersey shore??? Wheres Scott Ingold when you need him....oh yeah,Tuckerton

Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Ok, anyone want to post their favorite Pat Boone songs?

Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Bob

Geez Bruce, who died and made you the arbiter of who are or who are not the most distinguished collectors in the world? Frankly there are many posters here who have tremendous collections of cards and immense knowledge of cards and the hobby. I know sometimes threads get off-track with comments about rock groups or politics but it is just collectors showing their human side. If you don't like the way a thread is going, go on to the next...

Old 02-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default Hijacked Threads

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Pat Boone? Please stay on-thread and keep it to "drug infested rockers."