NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Zach

Default How long can it take???

I recently bought a gorgeous T205 collins open mouth from a member on here. And my dumbass forgot to update my paypal mailing address and I did not provide the man who sold me the card my proper address, so he sent it to what paypal showed. I just moved a little less than 3 months ago about 1 block away. It was sent insured mail with confirmation, I checked the tracking it said it was forwarded. I called the local post office they said they do not hold it there and it goes to some kind of sort facility so they can send it to the right place I guess. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Or know how long this process will take? I moved within the same town, and same zip, and I am just dying to have this card already and losing sleep worried the post office is just going to lose it

Last edited by zljones; 12-05-2011 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Jeff Britton

Default It depends

Zach,

It should not take that long. Did you file a form with the PO to have you mail forwarded to your new address? If not you may have to file one to let the PO know where to send your mail to. Without this form the PO may not know what to do with your mail. Because it has been a long time I would have the PO put a trace on the package to find out where it is. You will need the tracking number to do this That might help you get your card. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Zach

Yes I have mail forwarding I set it up before I moved and have had mail come forwarded before. I did everything right accept for updating my paypal account. The package was mailed on 11/29/11 and the last scan was on 12/1/11. I am just impatient because I moved 1 friggin block away, I was hoping it would be arriving at least by today but tracking shows no update.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
Yes I have mail forwarding I set it up before I moved and have had mail come forwarded before. I did everything right accept for updating my paypal account. The package was mailed on 11/29/11 and the last scan was on 12/1/11. I am just impatient because I moved 1 friggin block away, I was hoping it would be arriving at least by today but tracking shows no update.
The way things are going with the USPS I could see it easily taking 2-4 days for the USPS to get it handled. It it probably in the dreaded "problem pile."
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Zach

If it is 3-4 days I can live with that but I will be having a fit if it's 2-4 weeks or something for 1 block away, I moved .15 miles away lol. Once I get this card I will have completed my T205 HOF collection. I got Joss and everything once I get this in the mail I will have them all (except the Wallace no cap with 1 line of stats which I do not want).
Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Ralph Pr3y€r

Default Usps

I had this happen just a few months ago. I moved to a different part of Savannah. Had my mail forwarded. Seller mailed item, then it went from Savannah to Macon Ga got the yellow sticker applied there, then went to Jacksonville, Fl and then went back to Savannah and onto my house 6 miles away, from my old address. Item took over a 500+ mile trip to go 6 miles and took about a week, it sat for a day or two waiting for yellow sticker So depending on where your distrubution hub is it can take awhile. Now I can see why USPS is in the shape there in. Best of Luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default didn't read it all the way

Actually, I just re-read your initial statement. With it going back to another sort facility I will be surprised if it takes under a week. My guess would be longer than my initial statement. I will go with 1-2 weeks. With it being insured, and therefore most likely needing a signature, you should be relatively (notice all of my statements not saying anything definite) safe from it getting lost. Being a somewhat impatient collector myself, I feel your pain.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Actually, I just re-read your initial statement. With it going back to another sort facility ...
Here is what you do. If you have questions, PM me and I'll give you my phone number to discuss, but this happens to me many times:

Call your normal post office and tell them what has happened, and that you want to contact the sort facility to pick up the item. If you are persistent, they will give you a phone number. The drivers for the sort facility are generally fairly useless, but the people who work the office at mine are very pleasant - they will track down the item for you and either send it back to your post office quickly, or you can pick it up at the sort facility.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Zach

The one thing that irks me the most is when I call to inquire they do not want to answer any questions and have a very snotty tone, that sends shivers down my spine, I cannot stand being talked to in a condescending manner, and they can get away with it because they are a government unit, but just like Ralph said that is one of the reasons why they are in trouble. The worst part about it right now is, is that I did not even get an update that it went to the sorting facility yet. So it is probably sitting at the post office and they will not let me pick it up.

Last edited by zljones; 12-05-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
The one thing that irks me the most is when I call to inquire they do not want to answer any questions and have a very snotty tone, that sends shivers down my spine, I cannot stand being talked to in a condescending manner, and they can get away with it because they are a government unit, but just like Ralph said that is one of the reasons why they are in trouble. The worst part about it right now is, is that I did not even get an update that it went to the sorting facility yet. So it is probably sitting at the post office and they will not let me pick it up.
Instructions above - read and do, you'll get taken care of. When I call the post office, I ask them to re-check the back room. If they say 'no', then I tell them "okay, it must be at the sort facility - please give me their number so that I can pick it up or get it sent here." They always take care of me, even if it's sometimes grudgingly.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Instructions above - read and do, you'll get taken care of. When I call the post office, I ask them to re-check the back room. If they say 'no', then I tell them "okay, it must be at the sort facility - please give me their number so that I can pick it up or get it sent here." They always take care of me, even if it's sometimes grudgingly.
That sounds like an idea I have tried to call both facilities in the past and got nowhere especially living in Chicagoland it is harder, but since this is insured I may have better luck and I did all my forwarding correct a few months ago.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Whenever a buyer contacts me that thier package has not arrived, I will check the tracking # and get a status. It always says that the package left the dreaded Sorting Facility. Just recently, it took over 3 weeks to show up at the final destination after leaving the Sorting Facility.
Packages that never arrived in which I had to file insurance claims for, always had the same status "left the Sorting Facility"

If you remember the lyrics to "Hotel California". Just think of the Sorting Facility.

"You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!"

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 12-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Pete Sycks

I had something sent to my former home in MN once after I moved to NC. It took about a week for it to get forward to me and I'm now across the country. It shouldn't take over a week if USPS has your new address on file.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Zach

I called my local post office, he said I should have had it already so he said he needs to call back that was over 1 hour ago. I'm getting a little worried
Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM
jim quinlisk

Forwarded packages are handled the same way as forwarded letters. They go to a unit called "CFS" where the old address is keyed into the system and a yellow label with the new address is printed. The letter or parcel is then put back into the mail stream and goes on to it's original destination.

The CFS unit for the office I work at USED TO BE 6 miles away. With consolidation it's now 130 miles away. They have increased volume and decreased staff so it's taking a lot longer.

If you have the same zip code and only moved a block away, you might still have the same mail carrier. In my office we would just deliver that parcel instead of forwarding it, unless the sender included an endorsement asking for it to be returned. If you have the same carrier, remember the service you got when it comes to Christmas gifts.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Happened to me as well

When I moved within my town last April I dealt with the same situation. I received everything I ordered, insured or not but generally had to wait an extra 7-10 days for my packages to arrive. My mail still goes through the same post office just like yours but it doesn't seem to matter. This special handling takes them a while to work through.

Given my experience everything will arrive eventually. Key word is eventually.