NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-30-2017, 02:36 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default 19th Century Baseball Currency

During the mid-1880 period, when sponsoring tobacco companies’ first inserted baseball cards into their products, trade cards were the most progressive means of consumer product advertising. One of the most effective types of trade cards was the eye-catching baseball currency. The dimensions and thinness are the same as the currency of the day.
Vendors would overprint their ad on the preprinted cards, generally that included a discount for their product. Clothing, shoes/boots and jewelry are products ads mostly found but many other products and services appear on these give-away cards. The earliest cards are dated 1887, latest 1893, all feature portraits of baseball players on the back. Beside baseball, there were other subjects produced on this type format, such as Indians, Boxers, Actors, etc.
Please let us see what you have.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
A.J. Johnson

Whoa these are really amazing! Had no idea they existed. Jerry thx for posting!
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 10-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Old 10-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Peter Calderon

Default Shamless Plug

These are facinating pieces and I am happy to say Heritage has four available in our current auction:

Lot #80030

Lot #80031

Lot #80032

Lot #80033

Bidding has begun.

Peter
Old 10-31-2017, 07:49 PM
Jeremy W.

Not quite 19th century or as visually appealing, but here's a recent pick-up of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1909 A.C. Anson currency A.jpg (80.0 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg 1909 Anson currency B.jpg (77.1 KB, 228 views)
Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Jay Cee

Nice pickup Jeremy. Love those Obsolete Notes! I'd love to see the Actress note Jerry mentions above. Have never seen that one. Back in the late 90s Bob Lemke did an article in the monthly SCD paper. I have missed place that over the years and would love to find it. It aspired me to start collecting them. Spoke to Bob a couple of years ago and he said SCD never kept back issues or archived them so it's basically lost. If anyone happens to have it I would love to get a copy of the article. The OldCardBoard article is nice to as it's a great reference for the different type of notes.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:27 AM
Jay Cee

Not sure if people saw the article Jerry did in the April 2018 Vintage Collector Beckett. I would still like to see the actress note which Ive never seen before. I think there will be another article coming out on these notes, in about a year from a different author. Vlack did a great job introducing them in his book "Early North American Advertising Notes".

Shown below is the Beckett article.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7356.jpg (76.9 KB, 167 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Ken Wirt

My only example. Serves as my "Albert Spalding" HOF card. This one has no advertising on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26. Al Spalding.jpg (78.3 KB, 144 views)
Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Hi JC - The reference I made in the 10-30-2017 19th c BBC post was for 'Actors' not 'the Actress note' you mention. I am not aware of an actress appearing on these notes. My reference was the note pictured below that features actor Duncan B. Harrison on the note with John L. Sullivan: