NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: skydash55

Guys...I don't know any of you from Adam,but I really appreciate the help. We are discovering these things together. My Father-in-law mentioned this collection only a few times and I never thought much of it...So when I read all of your enthusiastic responses...it's just a hoot. I will post more when I find more....Skydash

Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: David Davis

If there was ever proof that there are great collections out there that fly under the radar, then this is it. Clearly, from the few labels that can be seen in the scans, and the fact that the cards are in sheets and toploaders, Sky's father-in-law knew what he was doing.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Jeff D.

Not knowing much about this set, and the rarity of the Thorpe, could someone explain why it looks so different from the others? The background, font and font color, detailing in the face (cheeks and lips for instance) all look much different in the Thorpe. Not to mention the others look like photos and the Thorpe looks like a (pardon, but rather crude) drawing.

Again, I know very little about this set and so I was just wondering about the apparent drastic differences to my untrained eye.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: John

Kind of cool that it came from my home state of SC, and not to far from where I found much of my collection. Good ol’ South Carolina. Congrats Sky.

Barry, I can only assume that your silence means the oil change coupon and t-shirt promo have expired…

Old 08-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Joann

dstubea or leon

Could you please resize the scan of the Thorpe tt so we don't have to scroll over to the right to read the thread?

Thx

J

Thanks d.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: barrysloate

Not silent John...I'm in awe just like everyone else.

The Thorpe looks different and appears to be either hand drawn or a retouched photo. Perhaps they were unable to secure a photograph of him. Just a guess.

And the condition is just superb. They look brand new.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Kyle

Catalog all the cards you have, take a day off and do it. Go buy a scanner and scan four cards at a time.

Take cards to bank, put in safety deposit box and leave them there.

Then....

Sell cards for lord knows how much.

Pay off the mortgage, send the kids to school. Take a year off. Retire even... who knows.

Congrats and good luck.

Edited to add: Be careful who you contact.

PS - Go with Barry or REA.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Skydash,

1- be VERY careful, gentle with the cards. If you sell, condition will be a significant factor in what they'll bring.

2- move these cards to a safe place, a safety deposit box. Tomorrow, if you haven't done it today.

3- with patience, and clean hands, figure out what you have. Tin Tops are different from other Colgans. Folks on here know the difference, someone will help identify scans if you email them to us.

4- you could sell all, none, some, some now some later... lots of possibilities. The auction folks look at it as if they own part of your cards. Some folks on here would like to get a bargain dealing with you. I'd suggest you communicate with 2 or 3 auction folks, and maybe 2 or 3 of the guys on here, and then put together your own plan of action. Patience... the quick dollar will be the small dollar. And then you'll be bitter about it.

5- I do wish you well, and congratulations. It might be neat to keep a few cards to pass on down, keeping them in the family.

FW

Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: boxingcardman

Just had to ask.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Skydash,

1- be VERY careful, gentle with the cards. If you sell, condition will be a significant factor in what they'll bring.

2- move these cards to a safe place, a safety deposit box. Tomorrow, if you haven't done it today.

3- with patience, and clean hands, figure out what you have. Tin Tops are different from other Colgans. Folks on here know the difference, someone will help identify scans if you email them to us.

4- you could sell all, none, some, some now some later... lots of possibilities. The auction folks look at it as if they own part of your cards. Some folks on here would like to get a bargain dealing with you. I'd suggest you communicate with 2 or 3 auction folks, and maybe 2 or 3 of the guys on here, and then put together your own plan of action. Patience... the quick dollar will be the small dollar. And then you'll be bitter about it.

5- I do wish you well, and congratulations. It might be neat to keep a few cards to pass on down, keeping them in the family.

That's the best advice I've gotten yet....Thank you.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Paul K.

Go with Rob Lifson (REA)... it's a no brainer

Old 08-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Eric

Just out of curiosity, what would a Thorpe in that condition bring at auction? Any thoughts?

How about the Jackson and Wagner?

If an SGC 20 Jackson (correct me if I'm wrong) brought 40K plus, what would one like this possibly bring?

Amazing collection you have. Congrats bro.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Jimmy

I think we can say this could be the best find this year if there is still more to come. This is why so many of us stay connected to the hobby, I enjoy it so much even if I cannot afford evrything. Selling and buying and collecting is one of the most rewarding and makes the hobby fun with this much interest WoW! This type of find makes me think about how much more I want to do in the hobby as a part-time dealer and collector.

Jimmy

Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: John S

So many emotions, happy, envy, utter shock...I just posted the Fritsch's scan yesterday thinking that it would be nice if someone could confirm the existence of Thorpe's card. I guess now we know for sure. Those cards are immaculate...Lionel Carter condition. Great find.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: David Davis

Since Skydash started a new thread for his find, I don't feel so bad trying to hijack this topic. Is anyone else surprised that not one person mentioned that he should contact Mastro? How about Goodwin, Mile High, Memory Lane (had to say it), Leland's, Lew Lipset, or any other well-known auction house?

Is it because of the quality/quantity of the cards, or some other reason? If all who chimed in felt that REA/Barry Sloate were the best choices, then who exactly would consign cards to the others?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: jay behrens

Given Mastro's questionable recent past and REA's impeccable reputation, there really is no reason to send a new comer to Mastro, especially given how they treated the family with the Ruth ball. I'm sure part of the reason Mastro gets business is because they have fostered good relationships with major collectors. I'm sure Leon will defend Mastro til his dying breath. They also offer more than one auction a year. That is REA's only drawback, but is also a strength. They only need to focus on one auction per year allowing them to take the best care possible of any and all clients.

Barry probably gets a lot mention because he is active here, is well liked and has a great reputation.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: leon

I can't say much but I do feel that Mastro and every one of the banner advertisers would be great choices. All the poster has to do is refresh the screen and click on the banners....every company is good.....Good luck with your cards....btw, Mastro recently got over $42,000 for a lesser looking Thorpe...

Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: jay behrens

When did mastro have a TT Thorpe, or did you mean Jackson?

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Bobby Binder

It was the Jackson not the Thorpe

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

I meant Jackson, in this last Mastro Live Auction.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Bill Stone

My friend, Bob Sacamano, just called and said he thinks he might have seen Mr. Mint at the breakfast bar at the Holiday Inn in Greenville, South Carolina this morning.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

RAT HAT? Very appropriate............

Or maybe he was eating broccoli at Kenny Roger's Roasters.......

Old 08-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

We never actually see Bob Sacamano, he exists only in our imagination.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

And it was a bad rat hat, even as rat hats go!

Old 08-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Steve f

This is incredible. Luckily, someone had the foresight to care of these over a few generations!

Congrats Skyguy.

*Didn't Jerry become good friends with Sacamano, while staying at Kramer's chicken soupernove?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: shane leonard

Skydash-
Here is what I would do knowing how much this could possibly be worth.
1. Call SGC and schedule an appointment to have the cards graded on site in one day.
2. Take off for that week, heck even the month if you want to.
3. Get a plane ticket to fly first class to SGC's hometown and have them all graded.
4. Place every card in a safety deposit box (graded).
5. Call the auction house of your choice.
a. Barry Sloath
b. Mastro
c. Lelands
d. Mile High
It really won't matter to the buyer as they will find them and bid. I would negotiate the sellers fee as 0% commission and 3% of the buyers premium. One of these guys will do this....believe me.
6. Keep some of the cards just for the memories.

What a great story!!!

Shane

Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

stock or something as they have prices on most, if not all, of them. Obviously, the prices at least on the Thorpe and Jackson are WOEFULLY incorrect. Neat stuff.......

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Thanks Shane, but it's spelled "Sloate."

I agree that Skydash should take his time and do this right, and that he should get the best commission rates possible. No problem there.

And Steve- yes, Jerry spoke to Sacamano when he called at 3:00 in the morning.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

You are the man! Skydash, I meant him not Barry Slothe the car dealer in Mississippi.

Ha

Old 08-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Jason L

and they are also all in penny-sleeve and top loader combinations...a far cry from rubber-banded and lying naked in a cigar box.

They look rather pristine, to be honest

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Mark F.

It may have been mentioned, but I find it interesting that Greenville, SC was also the hometown of the aforementioned Shoeless Joe.

On another note, wouldn't the location of the cards lead one to believe there should be more SL'ers than normal?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: JimB

Shane,
No auction house in the world will do it for 0% commission and a 3% buyers premium. Aside from the fact that they all have standard BPs at 15-20%, they would all take a loss at that rate. What about costs of advertising, printing catalogs, webstite maintainance, keeping the lights on, paying rent, etc?
JimB

Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: MVSNYC

Jim- i know for a fact several of the big auction houses will do 0% sellers commission on desirable items...and "negative commission" on VERY desirable pieces.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Zinn

I think he meant to negotiate 3% of what the buyer is paying as a premium. e.g. if the BP is 20% the consignor wants 3% leaving the house 17%.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: MVSNYC

exactly Zinn.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Jim,
I realize that it cost money to do the advertising, cost of shipping, overhead, and cost to make the catalogs. However, is there additional costs to list a 1976 Topps unopened box vs a T206 Wagner?
You are probably right that most auction houses would not do it. I bet one would though. Mastro would probably laugh at the thought of it, until they found out that someone offered it or there were others competing for the business.
I know of a situation where Mastro, REA and Lelands were all trying to get the collection of a friend of mine. The collection was pretty close to 2M. The offers became pretty creative by some of those guys.
I would much rather see our friend here with the huge collection know what his options are, than to be given a 10% consignor fee by some auction house.

SL

What value is it to the auction house to have a collection like this?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Zinn- This is exactly what I meant to say. I know of one that would do it right now because I just got off the phone with him.

SL

Old 08-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

I was contacted by one of our banner advertisers yesterday about having "Sky" contact them.....Since I need to remain impartial I would say call several/all and do the best you can. I can help with phone numbers and contact info to any of the banner advertisers if that will help. I am sure they all would love to have the collection to auction....I am sure all would be willing to give some cash advance and favorable fees too.....Hopefully this helps....

Old 08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

it has to cost more to list a T206 Wagner than a 1976 Topps box because of the promotion that you'd do with the Wagner versus the Topps box. The Topps box wouldn't be on page 1 like a Wagner would be. But......20% of the selling price of the Wagner would be MUCH more than the Topps box, so.....

I'm sure you could get 0% on the sell side and you might be able to get some on the buy side. Negotiate the best deal possible. It looks like tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars of cards given the condition and rarity of them...........

Old 08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Can you give us some details about the collection. They're obviously not from a cigar box find recently. From a former dealer's collection? Old stock put back and forgotten? It's in the details......

Thanks for jazzing us all up though.......

Old 08-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Bob

Mastro has been mentioned as a possible consignee. Considering Mastro just sold a Tin Top Jackson for almost $40,000 I feel Mastro would be a good source to sell those cards. I know for a fact
they will travel to view them and offer a cash advance if you need one. The guy to contact at Mastro is Pete Calderon. I know Peter Calderon of Mastro quite well (he was "petecld" on this board) and I'm sure he would like the chance to discuss the collection. He is well known for his honesty and straight forwardness. His email is pcalderon@mastroauctions.com or call him at 630-472-1200.
P.S. I have no ties to Mastro whatsoever, I just know Pete through the hobby as a buyer, seller, and also as someone who is reliable and honest.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Can you give us some details about the collection. They're obviously not from a cigar box find recently. From a former dealer's collection? Old stock put back and forgotten? It's in the details......

Thanks for jazzing us all up though.......

Check over on the "how to find an honest appraiser" thread...I can't believe what a stir I've caused with one little post.....

Old 08-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

somone rushing your 737 cockpit door if I could compare it for you..........

Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Steve f

Skydash,

Lots of good advice here.

Unless you're in dire straits... I wouldn't sell any rare stuff.

An example, I bought a tough card last year for $1000. My Everything wanted to strangle me. Recently recieved an offer for $7000. Now, she's glad I bought the thing.

True, small potatoes to what you have, but your $50K Joe Jax will do likewise.

My $.02, Stuff 'em in a safe deposit box. If you have to, rent a trailer, work at Walmart eat franks & beans, Kraft mac & cheese etc. In a few short years, you'll be living high. But, if you truly must sell, You know by now Whom to consign with.

Keep your eyes on the prize

Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Well I will have to say I have been working on the Colgan and Tin Top sets for longer than I am old as I am a theird generation collector and my Grandfather started this set many years before I was born. We have never been able to buy a Jackson or Thorpe and had only seen 1 Thorpe and 2 Jacksons before yours just arrived back into the hobby. This is not a small deal to our hobby. Finds like this is what makes this hobby still exciting. Remember you just found a item of a very impotant baseball player (Thorpe) that does not have many items he is on and there was only one other Tin Top known before yours to my knowleadge. Plus the Jackson is just so rare. Now what is getting everyone so excited is that you have 1200 other cards that could have anything in there. These kind of finds are so rare these days with the internet and TV programes like Antique Road Show, plus to show up here of all places. Just keep the scans coming they are fun to see. This board has many great contacts and some sharks so please be careful with what you do with these cards. From the other posts you have recived great advise this far. I would personally go with Mastro with these items as they already have a great track record with the Tin Top Jackson.

Good luck and thanks for bring them back into the hobby!
Trevor Hocking

Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Chris Nerat

I would like to do a story on this collection for Sports Collectors Digest.
Thank you... You have some great treasures.

Chris Nerat
Associate Editor
Sports Collectors Digest

chris.nerat@fwpubs.com

(800)726-9966 ext. 452

Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: David Smith

I am still having questions about the collection but THAT is not what this post is about.

All I want to say is, if you are NOT a collector then sell this group as fast as you can. You could have a fire, flood or someone could steal these things and then you would be left with nothing. Putting them in a safe deposit box would help but it is not a sure thing. Insuring them would involve cataloging each card and, at least for the more valuable ones, getting a good picture or scan of the front and back. This takes time and then there is the expense of insurance. Plus, how much would you insure a Thorpe or Jackson Tin Top for if there are so few in existence, especially if they are in REALLY good condition??

No, sell them and if they bring what most here say they will, then get a good tax advisor and financial planner. If you are not a collector and these are just "things", it is better to spread the cards (and risk of something happening to them) around the hobby than it is to hold onto them in hopes they will increase in value. To use a couple of cliches, "it is better to have a bird in hand than two in the bush" and "you never know what tomorrow will bring". I mean, all you have to do is read your OWN description of how you acquired them; they were THROWN AWAY and you went to the dump and retrieved them.

Just my two cents.

David

Old 08-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: Bill Stone

Sky --you indicated in an earlier post that you recently inherited these cards ---I am just curious --how did the Probate Court value the cards ? Was there an Estate or Inheritance tax issue ? Maybe the Judge or one of the attorneys could jump in here with an explanation of how an inheritance of this size could pass without some tax consequences or considerations. In any event get a good lawyer and good luck !!!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Posted By: James Feagin

I encourage you to evaluate all of your options on an auction house before committing to the popular choices stated here. Nevertheless, since you don't have an e-mail address handy, we encourage you to go to www.hugginsandscott.com, call us, and we would like to discuss your items for our upcoming October 17-18th auction. Since REA and Sloate (two very good auction houses, btw) have been mentioned so often here, we would like to offer a further option if you so choose.

James

Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default HOLY ****!!

Sky --you indicated in an earlier post that you recently inherited these cards ---I am just curious --how did the Probate Court value the cards ? Was there an Estate or Inheritance tax issue ? Maybe the Judge or one of the attorneys could jump in here with an explanation of how an inheritance of this size could pass without some tax consequences or considerations. In any event get a good lawyer and good luck !!!!!

I will neither confirm nor deny that I inherited these cards....