NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Default t206 older reprints

Posted By: steve

does anybody know just how many different years they made the t206 reprints. i know the 1988 and newer reprints all have reprint written on the backs of the cards but they must have made them earlier than that. before 1988, who made the reprint sets and what years were these sets made?. if anyone can answer this please reply.
thank you,
steve

Old 05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jamie

steve,
there were reprints like the dover issue which are clearly distinguishable from the originals, and then there were counterfeits which even have artificial aging. i believe a batch of these surfaced in the 70's and all have the same type of staining on the back.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

"i know the 1988 and newer reprints all have reprint written on the backs of the cards"

It is not true that all recent fake t206s all have "reprint" noted on them. Also the doctoring of fakes to include artificial aging has advanced to the point that the actual year of manufacture of the fake is not an issue. Certainly, the poorer examples of fraudulent cards are easily distinguishable, however, as the quality of the counterfeiting technique is improved, so must be the experience of the potential buyer; in order to recognize the offered card's illegitimacy.

For potential buyers who do not have the required experience to identify fakes with certainty, and who opt to purchase ungraded cards, the employment of good purchasing judgement can reduce the potential for buying a phoney t206. Guidelines for the exercise of this good judgement have been specified by drc. The employment of these techniques result in you passing on some good buying opportunities, but they increase the liklihood that you will not buy a fake quite substantially.

Similarly, once you have the card, the methodology specified by drc allows you to establish that it was indeed produced prior to WWII. And of course, the seller will guarantee this status, or you wouldn't have bought the card.

The above represents my opinion. Experienced t206 collectors can typically determine legitimate cards from scans alone - but not always.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM

Hi Steve,

Were you asking about T206 reprints in an effort to determine authenticity? Or were you just interested in who was manufacturing these according to a timeline?

If the latter, I have a good idea about many of the reprint issues, though I don't purport to be an expert on reprints. I've been collecting T206 cards since 1985, and at that time, I was 8 years old. My dad and I would go to card shows, and in the early years, we accumulated mostly beaters and reprints. I've seen all sorts of the latter.

In 1964, "The Sport Hobbyist" magazine put out a reproduction of the T206 Wagner card. I say "reproduction," because it wasn't an out-and-out reprint, per se. It featured the image of the T206 Wagner on thin paper, with the image being printed in B&W. The back was blank. I understand that "The Sport Hobbyist" printed this version up through 1967, giving it away to their subscribers. Apparently, they pressed it again in 1971, along with several others from T206 (the first 35 cards in the set, I believe).

The first real T206 reprints, where the actual fronts and backs were attempted to look like the originals, was the 1975 perforated cards released by Nostalgia Press. I had the Johnny Evers from this set forever, and much later found a whole uncut sheet (i.e. the cards were just not removed from their perforated neighbors on the sheet... big whoop). I don't know if these were released in some book as an insert, but Nostalgia Press was run by Woody Gelman, who create Bazooka Joe and Mars Attacks for Topps, and who was a credited editor in Jefferson Burdick's 1960 edition of the American Card Catalog.

Next up came the 1977 Dover reprints, of which the T206 Wagner and Plank were included in a book of perforated reprints from the history of baseball cards. Other reprints in the book included the 1933 Goudy Lajoie, a bunch of Allen & Ginter reprints from the 1888 set and some Ruths and DiMaggios and whatnot. The reproductions of the T206s were okay. They were slightly oversized when detached from their perforation. The backs were Sweet Caporal, Piedmont and maybe a few other backs, all with B&W print.

As far as I know, Renata Galasso released the next set of T206 reprints, both perforated and as a boxed set package called "The Monster," based on the moniker applied to the set by Bill Heitman in his book of the same name. I'm not sure if her perforated T206 reprints constituted a full set, but the Galasso T206 reprints that came in the box were not perforated. Reproduction was pretty decent, image-wise.

In 1983, a company called Capital released a full set of T206 reprints, which is awful. The images are blurry and/or blown out. The text along the bottom is either stretched vertically or horizontally. The whole thing looks bad. They did a few variations of this set with the backs featuring B&W text and ones with color text.

Then the Hygrade toy company released a starter kit for young card collectors. Sadly, I won't lie... I bought one back in 1987. It features reprints of the hobby's then-rarest known cards, which meant the T206 Wagner, Plank and "Magie' error, amongst others. The fronts of these were actually decent reproductions, image-wise. The backs just featured a mini-bio of why the card was rare, making no effort to reproduce a real T206 back.

In 1988, a company called C.C.C. released a full T206 reprint set, and this had both beautiful clarity on the fronts and back. A very well done set, IMHO.

In 1995, the Honus Wagner Estate released a reprint of just the Wagner card with a Piedmont back. The paper stock was nice and thick... the image on the front was well reproduced. My only gripe is the change of font for Wagner's name and team designation.

In 2000, Topps-Mastronet Fanfest released just the Honus Wagner card. Like the Wagner Estate release, Topps printed no other players in the T206 set... just Wagner. The reprint was supposedly based off of a reproduction of the Gretzky PSA 8 Wagner card, but it's not a good reproduction. Way too blurry. Also, the back simply has a history of the Gretzky Wagner, and how much it had sold for since changing hands four or five times, starting back in 1985. These were free everywhere for a while. People gave them away at card shows long after the Topps-Mastronet Fanfest.

Topps got in the game again in 2002 with their Topps 206 set. Not a reprint set in the strictest sense, because they didn't reprint every card in the original T206 set, just the rarest of the rare of the T206s, including the Wagner, Plank, "Magie" error, Doyle Nat'l, Demmitt NY and O'Hara NY, among others. This release also featured the current MLB players in a T206 setup, both mini and regular size. There were also actual T206 cards from 1909 placed inside Topps plastic holders, labeled as "buybacks." As to the Wagner, it got really weird, as Topps 206 featured the card with a red, blue and mustard background, in both a regular-sized card and a mini (six total). The mini was the size of the old 1909 cards. Confused yet? If you bought packs back then, you'd know exactly what I mean. For me, a totally disappointing set. The buybacks were mostly of the PSA 3 or below grade, and the reproductions of the Wagner, Plank, Magie and Doyle cards looked like crap. The images were so blurry. I mean, if anyone was going to have the scratch to produce the best T206 reprint possible, it should have been Topps. They also slapped a "206" logo within the front paint area of each portrait. Yuk.

In 2009, Topps had another 206 set, which is again not so hot. They also had an eTopps 206 set, with ten players (nine of which did not play in 1909-11). The Wagner from this set has the mustard background replaced with some rainbow green. If you are still reading up to this point, I implore you, ignore everything Topps has put out with regards to T206 reprints. They are the worst mutations.

Lastly, I believe Larry Fritsch put out a T206 set, which I've never bought. I see his HOF'er 15 card offer on his website, and actually, his Wagner looks to be the best reproduction, image-wise, yet. I know Mr. Fritsch is no longer with us, but his website continues to sell this product. Maybe someone else can tell you if this was something Fritsch had printed himself? Or if these cards being offered were just 15 HOF'ers pulled from one of the above reprint issues?

I have exhausted my knowledge of reprints, and hope that helped answer you initial question.

Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Default 206 reprints

About 20 years ago I bought a boxed set of 206 cards. I think, if I recall correctly. the box was entitled "The Monster". I believe I bought it from a big dealer in Florida who used to run a full page ad on the inside cover of the SCD. Larry Fritsch eventually bought out his inventory. I still have the set buried in an album. After reading this thread, I pulled out the album and checked the backs. Each card has printed on the bottom, on the reverse side, "capital reprint" I checked the wagner and it had a red old mill back.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:56 AM
John Michael

Default Bringing back this thread.....................................

to ask about two separate "The Monster" reprint sets. One is the collage of card photos, glossy boxed "The Monster," that is the Galasso version containing 523 cards. But, I am running across another version titled "The Monster" on a wood grain box that contains 524 cards inside. Who produced this version?