NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Default Sgc

Anyone else notice that SGC appears to be grading a lot tougher these days? I've sent about 10 cards to them this year (all mid to low grade pre-war) and just about everyone has come back with a lower grade than I anticipated. I even sent a few over to PSA and they received higher grades. A year or two ago it seemed the opposite was happening. I just sent them a really nice raw E95 Plank that looked like a 3/4 but they gave it a 2. Anyone else seeing this trend?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2015, 10:59 PM
Ken McMillan

no, not really. All the cards Ihave sent in came back exactly with the grade I expected. I think they are strict but fair and unbiased. All of my graded cards are SGC so I pretty well know what to expect.

Kmac
Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Lonnie Nagel

I think SGC is still as consistent as always.

I do know that my crossover rate from PSA to SGC is only running at around 25%
Old 08-06-2015, 06:48 AM
Ben North

I had SGC grade 12 cards a month ago and would say all 12 where spot on. I just had PSA grade 5 cards and 4 where 1 to 2 grades over graded and 1 was 1 grade under graded.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Spot on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
I think SGC is still as consistent as always.

I do know that my crossover rate from PSA to SGC is only running at around 25%
I also have always found them to be the most consistent from year to year. Uncanny really but I am thinking maybe they do not have as much turnover on their actual graders? Less graders probably also helps the consistency.

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-06-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM

Based on what I've seen over the past couple years in eBay auctions, yes, it does appear that SGC is a bit tougher across the board. Everyone's going to have their own perception or opinion, though, so unless a thorough, unbiased study is done (which is virtually impossible) we'll never truly know.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:06 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

It's an easy enough experiment to do. Just get a few hundred raw cards, randomly assign each of them to SGC or PSA, wait for them to come back, enter each of the individual grades, compare the SGC mean to the PSA mean (indepedent samples t-test), voila, you have your answer.

In practice it may reliably go in one direction for some issues and the other way for others, but I'd be interested in the main effect (i.e., who is more lenient on average).
Old 08-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
It's an easy enough experiment to do. Just get a few hundred raw cards, randomly assign each of them to SGC or PSA, wait for them to come back, enter each of the individual grades, compare the SGC mean to the PSA mean (indepedent samples t-test), voila, you have your answer.

In practice it may reliably go in one direction for some issues and the other way for others, but I'd be interested in the main effect (i.e., who is more lenient on average).
You should be able to get a federal grant to fund this experiment.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
You should be able to get a federal grant to fund this experiment.
Bah, I can't get federal grant money for my real research. Most of us probably already have hundreds of pre-war cards in our collections, but even if you were starting with no cards at all you could get enough together for adequate statistical power for a few thousand dollars. The average sale price of the last 25 raw pre-war cards on eBay was about $7.50.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Eric
Eric

Default funding

I think Frank should fund it
Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Dan Carson

Default Out-Sourcing??

I understand PSA and SGC are both out sourcing now!!!
Old 08-06-2015, 12:29 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:

And even better way would be to submit that same group to one, note the grades, crack out and send to the other. Assuming none were damaged in the process you would have a definitive answer.

Finding some one to pay for and take the time to do all of this would be the tough part.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
I think Frank should fund it

Not a problem. Send me the cards and I'll submit them with my return address.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:16 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
And even better way would be to submit that same group to one, note the grades, crack out and send to the other. Assuming none were damaged in the process you would have a definitive answer.

Finding some one to pay for and take the time to do all of this would be the tough part.
I was thinking it would be better to split them because they would necessarily be in worse (true) condition the 2nd time around, but the best thing would probably be to combine the two methods, so that half of the cards are graded first by PSA, half are graded first by SGC, then all are switched.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Derek Granger

Default SGC vs. PSA expiriment

make sure the submitter doesn't have any "friends" at either PSA or SGC, although I suspect this issue might be evident at only one of the TPG's listed. It would be cool to see this same experiment done first by the average joe and then secondly with a big dealer/AH submitting the cards to see if there is any validity to the argument that the big guys get preferential grades.

Also, crossovers aren't unbiased because the one TPG can already see what the other one thought about the card (good or bad).

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-06-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:33 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
I was thinking it would be better to split them because they would necessarily be in worse (true) condition the 2nd time around, but the best thing would probably be to combine the two methods, so that half of the cards are graded first by PSA, half are graded first by SGC, then all are switched.
Sounds like a plan. I'm sure we all have raw cards we could use for a group submission. Who feels like paying double grading fees for this experiment?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Ben North

In my opinion the best way would be buy the 10 cheapest PSA 10 cards and the cheapest 10 SGC 98 cards off eBay and crack them out and spend them back to the same company. That would show how consistent they really are.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-06-2015 at 02:26 PM.