NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Default Remarkbale Find, only 38 years ago

One of the great pleasures about the hobby is to collect and read early hobby publications, Our publication collection dates back to the early 1930's.

One of my favorites was The Trader Speaks. The articles written by early hobby legends such as Frank Nagy, Wirt Gammon, Goody Goldwin and Bob Richardson remain as valuable today as they were at the time of publication

The lead story in the January 1975 issues of The Trader Speaks was authored by another legendary collector, Dr. Robert Weisberg

Weisberg puchased a set 17 H 801-7 Old Mill Cabinets. They cards were in outstanding condition. In the past 25 years, I can recall seeing only three H801-7 for sale.

Should anyone wish a copy of this invaluable piece of hobby history, please write to me directly bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Last edited by Yankeefan51; 06-22-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Barry Sloate

In thirty years in the hobby I had maybe two H801-7's. They are really rare indeed.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 View Post
One of the great pleasures about the hobby is to collect and read early hobby publications, Our publication collection dates back to the early 1930's.

One of my favorites was The Trader Speaks. The articles written by early hobby legends such as Frank Nagy, Wirt Gammon, Goody Goldwin and Bob Richardson remain as valuable today as they were at the time of publication

The lead story in the January 1975 issues of The Trader Speaks was authored by another legendary collector, Dr. Robert Weisberg

Weisberg puchased a set 17 H 801-7 Old Mill Cabinets. They cards were in outstanding condition. In the past 25 years, I can recall seeing only three H801-7 for sale.

Should anyone wish a copy of this invaluable piece of hobby history, please write to me directly bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
Very cool...would you be averse to posting it for all to see? Thanks...Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

They are indeed rare. Steve Verkman auctioned a grouping of 19 of them in late 2010. best regards

Old 06-22-2013, 07:44 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Steve Verkman auctioned a grouping of 19 of them in late 2010.
Verkman not breaking up that lot was one of the more dipshitty things that have gone down in this illustrious hobby of ours, as far as I'm concerned anyway. I would have loved a shot at one or two of the nineteen.

I have one.
I want more.

Kawika = David McDonald

Last edited by Kawika; 06-22-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Anonymity
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

There's another of looking at it - perhaps Verkman felt that the cards should stay together and that if someone wanted to break them up, it wasn't going to be him. I know a lot of rare cabinet sets have been sold as groups, for that reason.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
There's another of looking at it - perhaps Verkman felt that the cards should stay together and that if someone wanted to break them up, it wasn't going to be him. I know a lot of rare cabinet sets have been sold as groups, for that reason.
Didn't mean to lay the fault specifically at Verkman's feet. It might have been at the consignor's request. Either way it sucked for the little guy.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Tony N.

Default Old Mill Cabinet

Is it safe to assume that there is no known Joe Jackson Old Mill Cabinet?

It would be a very nice piece if it did exist.

Tony
Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Mark Macrae

Default A bit more info

Bruce...I'll take the liberty of expanding on one critical part of Robert Weisberg's article that has not been shared with the public in more than 38 years. How they were distributed. According to Weisberg's article, he acquired a large group from a man who grew up in Richmond , Virginia, and had collected them as a youth. According to the original collector, one large card was included in each shipping case of Old Mill cigarettes, he recalls 60 packs to the case. He surmised that most were probably thrown out by store owners when the cases were opened. In this specific collection, 17 cards were included, all of which were from the Virginia League. By the time Lew Lipset compiled research for his 20th Century Tobacco card Encyclopedia, less than a decade later, the checklist had expanded to 28 players and some of those being from other series (beyond Virginia League). A quick glance at a recent SCD checklist shows 37 currently documented. Another factor is that some of the subjects in the "Cabinet" checklist are not known as insert cards in the T-210 issue. Any speculation as to which players / series were included is just that ; speculation. The cards are quite difficult to find, but more than one collector has multiple examples in their collection.
Old 06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Bruce Babcock

Default One I used to own . . .

Old 06-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Jason Wells

I absolutely love these Cabinet Cards.I hope to acquire a Richmond Colt example one day.Great cards everyone especially the Wingo.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Rich Klein

Default And in rebuttal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Verkman not breaking up that lot was one of the more dipshitty things that have gone down in this illustrious hobby of ours, as far as I'm concerned anyway. I would have loved a shot at one or two of the nineteen.

I have one.
I want more.

Kawika = David McDonald

David:

On the other hand, I have been told by more than one person when Lew Lipset auctioned off those Chickering Cabinets ini one of his auctions, he left a lot of money on the table by breaking up the lot in the way you wanted.

Most auctioneers believe that the bigger the lot is the better off the consigner is. While I do not like that concept personally; perhaps in this case the "sum totatl version each one individually" option would have worked. But I happen to belive Verkman was on point on how he handled this lot.

Rich
Old 06-23-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Nice Wingo

Thanks for posting David. Nice to see that the Wingo went to a good home. I had never seen the companion T210 until you posted your Wingo T210. His pose and glove remind me of a crab.

Here is my catcher OMC. It's companion T210 was the first T210 I ever owned.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMC.jpg (76.9 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Old Mill Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post

I have one.
I want more.

Kawika = David McDonald

Wouldn't this have been done at request of seller?

Z Wheat