NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBaseBallist View Post
Awesome. Any word on who the player might be?
No.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM

Default I wonder

The top 10 or so cards being mentioned as "most valuable" often has me wondering why they are so valuable - compared to other seemingly comparable cards.

I have a few cards that are vintage playing years of Wagner & Ruth, highest or near highest ever graded, population figures near zilch, solid mid/upper grade in themselves, from recognizable known sets, and are worth a small fraction of the biggies mentioned. But, alas, they are not on the prized most valuable list.

Why is a "X" Ruth worth $ 4.k and the other Ruth worth $300.k more than that ???
Old 12-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Pre-War cards aren't the only valuable cards in the hobby. Here are some figures from Dmitri Young's recent sale:

The only 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente PSA 10 — $432,690.
1954 Topps Hank Aaron PSA 10 — $357,594.
The only 1963 Topps Pete Rose PSA 10 — $157,365.
1954 Topps Ernie Banks PSA 10 — $142,836.
1948 Bowman Stan Musial PSA 10 — $129,850.
The only 1969 Topps Reggie Jackson PSA 10 — $115,242.

I think some of these cards would occupy your list.
One could argue that these belong in a "most valuable slab" thread. Crack these exact cards out and sell them, then what do they go for?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM

Some problems I have with the Dmitri Young cards being in this thread;

1) Since this is a pre-war forum (and I believe the thread originator is mainly a pre-war collector) I was assuming that only pre-war cards were too be considered.

2) Yes, those cards are high grade but have they been altered or overgraded? If so, then are they truly worth that much money?

3) If offered at different times (and not all together as they were) would they STILL bring as much money?

Put a T206 Wagner or a Baltimore News Ruth in an auction with a bunch of other good pre-war cards and the Wagner and Ruth are going to sell for big bucks just as they would if the auction had a T206 Wagner and 200 other lots of 1990 Fleer commons.

I don't think that would happen if only one of the DY collection were sold by itself and weren't surrounded by the hype (ESPECIALLY now that Mastro is supposedly going to testify about card altering and doctoring).

Finally, after 120 years, how many more Cap Anson in uniform or Four Base Hits King Kelly cards are likely going to appear? On the other hand, what is the likelihood that some unopened packs of cards from the 1950's and 1960's appear that basically haven't been touched since they were produced and that some really high grade cards come out of those?

My opinion is there aren't likely to be many more 80+ year old cards being found as compared to the likelihood of newer, high grade cards coming out of the woodwork. Thus, the newer cards are more likely to drop in price when more are found and if/when Mastro testifies and people reconsider the legitimacy of high grade cards.

David
Old 12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Eric, no need to say you're sorry at all IMO.
John,

Many thanks. I appreciate your kind words.

Apology was offered out of respect to everyone here...I was having a, "did I really just put my foot in my mouth" moment.

Best,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Sorry Eric - did not mean to pick on you...meant to pick on Pete!

I also learn something new from this crowd every day, and I expect that will continue for a long time.

Cheers,
Blair
Blair,

No problem, I wasn't feeling picked on...just making sure to let everyone know that I typically think my comments through a bit more thoroughly. I felt a bit like CNN...better to be correct than quick

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Blair...i think Eric meant that..."it should" be one of the most valuable!
Pete,

Thanks for the support. Candidly, when I saw the hammer price (after posting..again, I ordinarily put a bit more thought and effort into things) I was stunned. This card is unique, yes?

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM
pete ullman

Eric...to date the rc lowdy is unique. Honestly... I also was surprised at the hammer price... Seemed pretty low to me!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Default Totally Agree with Pete,

None of DY cards are even rare. This is a Vintage Pre War Forum. So when the question was asked about the High value list... DY's PSA 10's Never would of come to my mind...

* Not at all directed to Eric's answer... even though he started this mess

"Thanks Eric"

"Life is Soo Grand"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Just my opinion...but...in no way shape or form do those former dimitri young cards belong in this discussion!

Maybe in a thread titled "stupidest money ever paid for an otherwise common card."