NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default Need help with a CDV. Baseball Commissioner?

Posted By: Matt Hart

I just picked this up this morning and can't seem to find anything on him. Does anyone know if he was a League President or Comm?
Thanks for the help.
Matt
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Old 04-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

There were A, AA and other lower leagues around the US, each with a commissioner.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well he didn't sign that, I don't think. He wouldn't have written on there when he died...

I can't decipher the last name. What you need is a Spalding Guide from about 1902. Look at each of the minor leagues and see who the commissioner was. If the guy sat in New York, then I'd first look at the Eastern League, the International League, the New York State League, the Pony League....

FW

Old 04-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

The name does not come up in a search of the online Spalding guides.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

What name or names did you search?? I can't figure out if that last name starts with an S or an L or what... and I think there must be an I in there somewhere because of that dot, I think it's a tittle, but maybe it is just an errant dot.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I assumed the name on the card was Barry Linden. That makes it a difficult Google search.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help so far. I think the name is Barry Linden as well.
If anyone comes up with anything, please let me know
Thanks
Matt

Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I once knew a guy named Barry Linden who somehow bore a striking resemblance to Cy and Irv Young, but I know that doesn't help much here.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim

There is a baseball field/city park in NYC called Linden Park. I emailed NYC Parks and Rec to see if they have a history of how the park was named. When they respond, I'll let you know.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

An answer from the www.nycgovparks.org site although it is not much help...

"Linden Playground - Bounded by Linden Boulevard, Stanley Avenue, Vermont Street, and Wyona Avenue, this park takes its name from Linden Boulevard...Although it is unclear when the street assumed its present name, Linden Boulevard, the name itself comes from the American linden trees (Tilia americana) that line the boulevard."

Old 04-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Jim and Kevin,
Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.
Matt

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

I also scanned my copy of The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball and found no one by that name as either a league president or team manager.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator

The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, by Johnson and Wolff, starts its coverage with the 1902 season. We're looking for 1890 to about 1902 or 1903... my copy only lists league presidents, not Commissioners. We still need a Spalding Guide or Record for 1901, 1902...

Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

My guess is that this person was not actually a Baseball "Commissioner". I dont think there was such a thing as a Commissioner in any Baseball League until Landis. I think the person who wrote this identification did so years and years after the fact and was using a term that was in existance in regards to Baseball when the ID was written, but not actually a position which existed between 1890-1902. I could be wrong but I have never seen that term used before 1920 in Baseball, just League Presidents. He could also have been a big guy in a small league and that was just the Family's terms used to remember a relative from long ago. I have searched all my resources and can find nobody with that name so I am thinking the latter is the most likely scenario. More often than not people's opinions and facts about past family members are much exaggerated and usually wrong.

Rhys

Old 04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Rhys has kinda hammered the nail through the plank!!! I think he's right on all that he says. All that is left is to find a reference to this guy in the 1890s.

FW

Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Frank:

I don't know what version of The Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball you are using, but my second edition (copyright 1997) starts with the 1883 season.

Kevin

Old 04-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Administrator

1993. First edition, stated.

Seems Mr. Johnson and Mr. Wolff expanded their fine work in both chronological directions.

After Googling around a bit, I see there's a 3rd edition dated 2007. And it looks like they added info on the major leagues, attendance figures, and affiliation, expanding even beyond what the 2nd edition has. I may well need to get a 3rd edition...