NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Zach

Default I'm at a T206 crossroads and looking for ideas

For a couple of years now I've pretty much been away from collecting any new cards (first son was born in 2009 and just had son #2 about 3 months ago) and recently I've started selling off some of my collection.

I've given up hope of ever completing the T206 set but I feel like I need to complete "something". At first I was thinking of completing a HOF set but as I was going through my remaining cards I noticed how good all the portraits looked lined up together.

I'm sure many of you have done this and I was wondering if anyone had a readily available portrait only checklist?

I'm also open to other ideas for completing some sort of T206 set. Help! The monster is winning.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM

http://t206resource.com/Portraits%20Checklist.html

Consider the cards an investment for the children and keep getting them!
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
http://t206resource.com/Portraits%20Checklist.html

Consider the cards an investment for the children and keep getting them!
Thank you, sir. 177 sounds a lot better than 520!

As for the investment side, I even have my wife convinced that they're worth keeping around for a while. She doesn't care for my gun collection or the couple of military vehicles she's like me to get rid of but she doesn't mind the "old cards".
Old 09-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Maybe try a smaller less expensive subset, my first endeavour was the Factory 649 OP. 34 cards, a handful of HOF to keep things interesting and you have to search/requests backscans on every possible card.

Portraits (minus the big three), portraits by background colour, A-Z. Endless really. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Jason Stricker

Go for the southern leaguers, or only southern leaguers with one of the three possible backs?
Old 09-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Don

You could do one of the smaller back sets like Polar Bear, or a team set.

Or, just collect 150 cards with a 150 series back. That is possible with Piedmont, SC, and Sovereign, and since the 150 series contains more than 150 cards, you can skip the big 4 and still get to 150.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM

Thought I'd bring up an old thread, as this really relates to what I'm dealing with.
I am currently at 220 or so T206 cards, and I am at a crossroads. I feel kind of burned out and on one hand I feel like trading away some cards in order to "complete" something like a Tigers and Browns team set. Which with the HOF's and cards I have, I could do even making a run at trying to get the other 3 Cobb's.
And on the other hand, just keep chipping away. I really feel like getting into something else, which means I could keep what I have and just change focus. I don't want to face the regret of selling what I have.

Is there anybody that was at the 200 or 250 card point then just sold or traded most of them to get into something else, like just going for a T206 subset and using the cash to get into something else?

Maybe some people sold most of their T206 collection and started all over again???

I really do see how the T206 set is called "The Monster"
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Hey Jason.....I got up to around 160 a couple months ago after 2 and half years. The T206 Oakes was the first Pre-War card I ever bought. I consider "The Monster" as the "gateway drug" to Pre-War collecting. As the years went on, I started realizing that type collecting was more interesting to me than set building. So, a couple months ago, I sent a bunch of my T206's off to Sterling and sold a bunch here on the BST. For now, I'm going to keep my HOFers with "rarer" backs and all my Pirates. I'm also going to keep one of each back to attempt to but together a back run for my type collection.

I probably still have at least 50 left that I want to sell including common back HOFers and SLers. I kind of look at them as a savings account that I can tap into if I need to finance a purchase for my Type Collection. I still buy a T206 every now and then, for example, when I see a Tolstoi/EPDG/AB HOFer but I do not buy commons anymore.

I don't regret trying to build the set since it is what got me hooked on Pre-War and I don't regret selling most of them off since I was able to then buy cards that I currently find more interesting. Who knows what I'll be into two years from now. But the good thing about T206's is that there's plenty available if you want to start building "The Monster" again.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***
Old 11-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Don

I still like my idea from 2 years ago. Collect 150 cards with 150 series (all same brand) backs.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Hey Jason.....I got up to around 160 a couple months ago after 2 and half years. The T206 Oakes was the first Pre-War card I ever bought. I consider "The Monster" as the "gateway drug" to Pre-War collecting. As the years went on, I started realizing that type collecting was more interesting to me than set building. So, a couple months ago, I sent a bunch of my T206's off to Sterling and sold a bunch here on the BST. For now, I'm going to keep my HOFers with "rarer" backs and all my Pirates. I'm also going to keep one of each back to attempt to but together a back run for my type collection.

I probably still have at least 50 left that I want to sell including common back HOFers and SLers. I kind of look at them as a savings account that I can tap into if I need to finance a purchase for my Type Collection. I still buy a T206 every now and then, for example, when I see a Tolstoi/EPDG/AB HOFer but I do not buy commons anymore.

I don't regret trying to build the set since it is what got me hooked on Pre-War and I don't regret selling most of them off since I was able to then buy cards that I currently find more interesting. Who knows what I'll be into two years from now. But the good thing about T206's is that there's plenty available if you want to start building "The Monster" again.

Some excellent advice. Thanks for sharing

At this point I don't really know what I want to do. Another thought would be to keep 1 of each HOF and trade my commons away to get into something else. Also, a type collection sounds interesting that way I don't have to complete anything if I don't want to.

I was going to build a "Major League" Set, but that is a long road ahead cause of Multiples of Johnson, Young, Mathewson, Cobb etc.

I really do think I can complete a 1 pose of each Major Leaguer (of course, no, Plank, Wagner etc.) I am actually close to that.

Last edited by jasonc; 11-03-2015 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:50 AM
octavio ranzola

let them pile up thats what i do ,,,keep buying dont stop
Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM
pete ullman

hows about keeping the t206's you love...selling the rest...and buying other cards from other sets that you love!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:03 AM
D0NN1E B

I'm in the same boat and I would guess everyone goes through a burnout. It only took me a year and around 125 T206 in the collection. I then moved into a Lumley back run (that I just posted) to try and break things up. I would like to buy a few graded T206 a month but the discretionary income will not allow it so even if I can buy two a month, it will take me 17.5 years to complete the set.
With those number I should probably just come to the realization that it aint gonna happen and go ahead and start sharpening up my golf game for retirement.