NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Default 1962 Clemente Bobblehead

Posted By: Ejm1

Is this the real deal, and if so, what type of money should this go for at a small local auction?? I don't own it but may go to the auction. Thanks.
[linked image]

Old 03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Definately the real deal. If it isn't cracked (look around the head and neck closely) it's easily a $1,000-$1,800 piece. More in a great economy.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

They are both real.

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brock G.

Thats a beauty! One just sold in NM condition with the original box in the Hunt auction for $2,200.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Looks pristine... to Mike's point, look closely for hairlines or chips (especially where the head rim might make contact with the neck or shoulders. If its clean and unrestored, it should be worth over $2,000... but even a single hairline could drop the value by up to $500. This one is the king of Bobbing Heads, and the original box adds value as well.

Many of these Clementes have been "cleaned" or restored, but this one looks like it has never seen the light of day. The original box and neck protector are probably a great indicator, that this one has not undergone any restoration. Good Luck, and let us know how you do!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Make sure you keep a close eye on it right up to when it's auctioned. I went to a sale that had a nodder and before it could be auctioned it was cracked by some kids. Hopefully they'll do a better job protecting it. You might ask if they'll start with it. Sometimes the auctioneer will oblige.

Clint

Old 03-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Wouldn't happen to have a handheld blacklight? It shows any crack or repair... Be careful at auction--lots of handling, etc.. Looks good-good luck.. That would sell for next to nothing at my local auction house-wish it was here!!!!Great Find

Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

With all respect to Clint's suggestion, I would consider the other side of the coin and NOT ask the auctioneer to start off with any item, no matter how fragile. This only draws attention to the item, both from other auction goers and from the auction house itself. Your chances of getting a great item for a song rapidly diminish when you call attention to it (especially in a country auction/non-memorabilia auction setting). Not a good idea. Play it safe and discreet. Just keep your eye on the piece, and shoo any troublemakers away! happy.gif

Old 03-14-2009, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Well you may beable to get it cheap now because i emailed the auction and they said i could leave no bids, i have to be there.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Brock, You're just being funny, right or are you being serious?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

There never seem to be any major steals at this auction house. They routinely have sports memorabilia with subject material from time to time. The last time I was there I was after some 1960's topps baseball sets and they went for around book value and they were EX sets. They start mixing in the sports items around 5:30. If you are hoping to get it for a couple of hundred dollars don't waste your time. There are a couple of regular sports guys with deep pockets that go to all of there auctions.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: brock

Why would i be joking. I noticed the auction listing 3-4 days ago. But now what Josh said it sounds like the auction will do good with it.

And now knowing their prices go good is good for me because now i can save my money for another item thats up for auction that i have been looking for 3 years.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea as to approx. how many of the Clemente nodders exist? I remember reading in some older literature that I had that as few as 40 exist, although I believe the number is definitely higher than that.

Would anyone care to approximate the number of Clemente nodders that are out there? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Administrator

I'll take a stab at the number of Clementes out there... I have heard the "40" thing as well, but that number is waaaaaaay low. I think it is more like 350 - 400 that exist today. Of those, probably about half are all-original with no restoration.

The other number that is always understated is that of the Dallas Hartlands. Supposedly there were less than 30 Fellers, 35 Cobbs, and less than 200 hundred Deans, Gehrigs and Fords ever produced (due to a factory flood or fire, or other catastrophe). The Feller statue is indeed very scarce (and rarely surfaces), but there is almost always a Cobb or two on ebay and always multiples of the others.

If these were truly scarce, advanced collectors would have squirreled them away, and the price would have climbed sharply at some point. But they never dry up, and the prices have remained flat (or even declined) over the past few years. That's my somewhat informed take, anyway...

Old 03-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikePugeda

Mark,

I agree that the number is well over 40, but I was thinking maybe more in the ballpark of 200-300 Clementes are out there. For a few years I kept track of all Clementes that were auctioned on e-bay and auction houses. I kept digital pics and a lot of them had unique faults (chipping, decal wear, etc.) so it was somewhat easy to tell one from the other. When the condition was better, it was much more difficult to keep track and I'm not sure if some in the major auctions were auctioned previously (which I'm sure some were).

Anyway, I did ask a "prominent" nodder collector once, how many he would guess-timate existed. Unfortunately, he seemed a bit of a jack-a$$ and wouldn't give me his opinion.

Oh well...here's mine I purchased about 5 years ago...the name decal is complete, unfortunately the last part was folded over when applied. This was a "holy-grail" piece for me when I was younger.

[linked image]

Old 03-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Mike:

You could well be right... I was originally going to say about 200 - 300, but upped it a bit because of the ones still presumably hiding in the woodwork (and that have not made it into the hobby).

There was about a 10 year period when every Mastro, Lelands, SCP and REA type auction had the obligatory Clemente Nodder included in the Catalogue. I suppose nobody knows the actual number for sure (although Tim Hunter or John Brey might claim they do). Mine is just a semi-educated guess with no real basis in fact.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ejm1

It sold for $2,050.00. Anyone on here the buyer?