NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Al Richter

Default Topps Double Headers 1989/90

A discussion on these popped up in the Blackless thread. There may have been a prior thread awhile back on these

The 1990 set of 72 is the most common and easiest to assemble. It involves two mini cards ( paper versions) of each player in the set back to back in an upright plastic stand ( like mini PSA holders) . One image was from the player's Topps rookie card and the other a mini version of his 1990 card.

The 1989 set of 24 is ( or was) also easy to assemble, but tougher than the 90 set. Same format, rookie card and mini 1989 card.

But as pointed out in the Blackless thread there are two very tough sets of these to assemble. One is the 1989 Mets/Yankees issue of 24 ( 13 Yanks/11 Mets) issued only regionally.

All of these came in solid paper wrappers with related checklists on them

But the hardest issue to assemble is the 1989 Mets/Yankee Prototype or Proof set of 8. Unlike the regular Yankee/Mets issue they have the rookie card paired with the player's 88 card as opposed to his 89 card. Very tough set. Also, they came in different clear plastic wrappers with the checklist

Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
A discussion on these popped up in the Blackless thread. There may have been a prior thread awhile back on these

The 1990 set of 72 is the most common and easiest to assemble. It involves two mini cards ( paper versions) of each player in the set back to back in an upright plastic stand ( like mini PSA holders) . One image was from the player's Topps rookie card and the other a mini version of his 1990 card.

The 1989 set of 24 is ( or was) also easy to assemble, but tougher than the 90 set. Same format, rookie card and mini 1989 card.

But as pointed out in the Blackless thread there are two very tough sets of these to assemble. One is the 1989 Mets/Yankees issue of 24 ( 13 Yanks/11 Mets) issued only regionally.

All of these came in solid paper wrappers with related checklists on them

But the hardest issue to assemble is the 1989 Mets/Yankee Prototype or Proof set of 8. Unlike the regular Yankee/Mets issue they have the rookie card paired with the player's 88 card as opposed to his 89 card. Very tough set. Also, they came in different clear plastic wrappers with the checklist

Al, the 1989 Mets/Yankees set actually contains 13 Mets and 11 Yankees. The cool thing is an untouched box contains an entire set.

I know the Standard Catalog says the 1988's are proofs but they were actually sold in some stores so they are really a test, not proofs or prototypes.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:37 AM
Al Richter

The official definition of proofs, prototypes and test, like "variation" often eludes me, but since I have the full set in those clear 'packs" I agree they seem to have been marketed on a limited basis.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
Al, the 1989 Mets/Yankees set actually contains 13 Mets and 11 Yankees. The cool thing is an untouched box contains an entire set.

I know the Standard Catalog says the 1988's are proofs but they were actually sold in some stores so they are really a test, not proofs or prototypes.
The 89 All Stars are the same way, each box contains a complete set in the same order. The McGwire was is the front left side on the very bottom if I remember correctly, been a long time.

I still have a ton of the 89/90 All Stars, if anybody wants some or a bunch cheap PM me.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Just making sure I have this straight. Please correct me if I am wrong. I just found out about these yesterday!

1988: only 8 cards...all Mets and Yanks
1989: 24 cards, and they are made up of the previous year's all-stars, right?
1990: 72 cards

The 89s and 90s look pretty affordable. Am I missing anything?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Al Richter

Almost

The 72 item 1990 set, uses 90 card with rookie card
The 24 item All Star set 1989, uses 89 card with rookie card
The 24 item Mets/ Yanks regional set 1989,, uses 89 card with rookie card
The 8 item Mets/ Yankees Test ? Set 1988/ 89... Uses 88 card with rookie card

The checklists for all 4 are in my post above. The last two are tougher to find, particular the 8 item set, and more expensive

One more complication, the few Met and Yankee players in the 89 All Star set are identical to those in the expanded Yankee/ Met only 89 set

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-03-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Al Richter

Duplicate post

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:16 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Oh, so in 1989, there's a 24 card all star set AND a 24 card Met-Yankee set?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Oh, so in 1989, there's a 24 card all star set AND a 24 card Met-Yankee set?

Yes there are 2 different sets. The All Star set is WAY cheaper than the Mets/Yankees set.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yes there are 2 different sets. The All Star set is WAY cheaper than the Mets/Yankees set.
Thanks, Ben. That makes sense. I was understanding the relative expense of the Met and Yankee cards. Though I am a Cardinals fan, I love all the 80s stuff!!

Old 09-03-2019, 06:11 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

One more complication, the few Met and Yankee players in the 89 All Star set are identical to those in the expanded Yankee/ Met only 89 set
A lot of Ebay sellers don't understand this, they list the Mattingly and Strawberrys like they are rare, which they are not.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:55 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks, Ben. That makes sense. I was understanding the relative expense of the Met and Yankee cards. Though I am a Cardinals fan, I love all the 80s stuff!!

I am a Cardinals fan and a team set collector. If you are a team set collector this will affect you. The 1989 Mets and Yankees set has Keith Hernandez. His 1975 rookie card has him with the Cardinals. Therefore this card is in my team set. I've had it for several years but it seems like it was very difficult for me to find.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I've been loosely picking up the tougher Topps types of 80's and 90's and I may try to do a full run through 1992 at some point but I love these little oddball sets. And now to find out there is a 1988 variant? Fantastic!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:34 PM

Sorry to kick an old thread but as The Dude said new information has come to light...

Here's the 1988 Mets/Yankees Double Headers, save for the Mattingly. Check out the wrappers.

https://tinyurl.com/t3votfr

Guessing an advanced Mattingly collector picked up the set for the Mattingly and doesn't have a need for the others. Can't wait for these to arrive!