NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2019, 11:00 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default The Only 1969 Topps Ernie Banks Card In The World

Thanks to Leon and all the Net 54 attendees for letting me tell my story at the Friday night Net 54 National Convention party about, "The Only 1969 Topps Ernie Banks Card In The World." I'll be at booth 1119 Sunday with the card if you want to see it. If you can't make it, I'll post a scan for your enjoyment as soon as I can get logged in to my photo hosting site .

Peace,
Mark Arentsen
Old 08-04-2019, 06:44 AM
Scott Russell

For those of us who couldn't be there, what's the story? Title has me intrigued.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Like to hear the story.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Jimmy Knowle$

Like to hear it too.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Eric Bea.chley

It was a 1/1 that took him years to work out a trade using a Card of a HOFer as bait, if my memory is correct.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 PM
Mark Arentsen

Story and scans coming Monday night. Time for some well-deserved rest from a busy, but fun National.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
For those of us who couldn't be there, what's the story? Title has me intrigued.
It was a childhood story about a
trade for a 1969 Ernie Banks that
he still owns. Matty Alou #490
made it into the story somehow also.

Mark was one of the only dealer I
saw in the whole convention that
had a point-of-sale system to ring
up his customers. I was impressed.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:40 PM
Mark Arentsen

Default The Picture and The Story

I was ten years old in 1969 and years later I was given the duty to carry on and tell the story of, "The Only Ernie Banks Card In The World."

Out in Illinois farm country, about 1 1/2 hours southwest of Chicago, Craig O. had the only Ernie Banks card in the world (1969 Topps #20). At least that's how all of us kids thought. No one else had an Ernie Banks card and Ernie was KING in our little neck of Cubs country. Everyone tried to trade for it, but without success. I think Craig got great pleasure from being The Big Man On Campus, keeping the card with him at school and on the bus. He beat it up pretty bad too. It didn't matter.

Six years later, I was buying 1975 packs of cards, building a set, and Craig learned I was still collecting cards. He asked if we could do some trading as he wanted a Mike Schmidt card. We put together a trade and I got the 1969 Banks from him. I was thrilled! This was before I learned there was an organized hobby. All I knew of at the time was the Card Collector's Company.

It wasn't too much longer until I learned about the Chicagoland Sports Collector's Association shows and found a nicer copy of the 1969 Banks.

Brad B., a neighbor down the road, was just getting serious about cards and he wanted the beat-up Banks. So, we made a trade, but he didn't keep the card for long as he upgraded and then traded it to Mark S. The card stayed with him until the late 1990's.

Mark met Ernie Banks at a downtown Chicago appearance and had him autograph the card. Ernie was taken aback, "Do you really want me to sign this card?" Without going into the history of the card, Mark explained that it would mean a lot if he would. And so Ernie signed the card in black ball point pen.

Shortly thereafter, Mark gave the card to me to keep, saying it was only appropriate that I have it as I knew the history of the card going back to the spring of 1969. And so, I'm the keeper of the flame, so to speak. I treasure the card and think fondly of my collecting childhood and The Only Ernie Banks Card In The World.

image host image host

I finished my storytelling with how my 7 year old brother thought Matty Alou (1969 card #490) was Japanese. To a little kid, I could see how he might think that from Matty's expression on the card.

Later in 1975 while I was opening up packs, my brother was looking at each card and came upon Al Downing and then next Brian Downing. My brother explained, "Oh look, you got brothers." Ah, childhood innocence. Yes, brothers in a greater way.

image host

Finally, I recounted how I always was getting Phil Roof cards in the packs, but never a Hank Aaron.

Thanks again to everyone for allowing me to reminisce.

Mark Arentsen
Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman59 View Post
I was ten years old in 1969 and years later I was given the duty to carry on and tell the story of, "The Only Ernie Banks Card In The World."

Out in Illinois farm country, about 1 1/2 hours southwest of Chicago, Craig O. had the only Ernie Banks card in the world (1969 Topps #20). At least that's how all of us kids thought. No one else had an Ernie Banks card and Ernie was KING in our little neck of Cubs country. Everyone tried to trade for it, but without success. I think Craig got great pleasure from being The Big Man On Campus, keeping the card with him at school and on the bus. He beat it up pretty bad too. It didn't matter.

Six years later, I was buying 1975 packs of cards, building a set, and Craig learned I was still collecting cards. He asked if we could do some trading as he wanted a Mike Schmidt card. We put together a trade and I got the 1969 Banks from him. I was thrilled! This was before I learned there was an organized hobby. All I knew of at the time was the Card Collector's Company.

It wasn't too much longer until I learned about the Chicagoland Sports Collector's Association shows and found a nicer copy of the 1969 Banks.

Brad B., a neighbor down the road, was just getting serious about cards and he wanted the beat-up Banks. So, we made a trade, but he didn't keep the card for long as he upgraded and then traded it to Mark S. The card stayed with him until the late 1990's.

Mark met Ernie Banks at a downtown Chicago appearance and had him autograph the card. Ernie was taken aback, "Do you really want me to sign this card?" Without going into the history of the card, Mark explained that it would mean a lot if he would. And so Ernie signed the card in black ball point pen.

Shortly thereafter, Mark gave the card to me to keep, saying it was only appropriate that I have it as I knew the history of the card going back to the spring of 1969. And so, I'm the keeper of the flame, so to speak. I treasure the card and think fondly of my collecting childhood and The Only Ernie Banks Card In The World.

image host image host

I finished my storytelling with how my 7 year old brother thought Matty Alou (1969 card #490) was Japanese. To a little kid, I could see how he might think that from Matty's expression on the card.

Later in 1975 while I was opening up packs, my brother was looking at each card and came upon Al Downing and then next Brian Downing. My brother explained, "Oh look, you got brothers." Ah, childhood innocence. Yes, brothers in a greater way.

image host

Finally, I recounted how I always was getting Phil Roof cards in the packs, but never a Hank Aaron.

Thanks again to everyone for allowing me to reminisce.

Mark Arentsen

Great Story! Thanks for sharing!

I assume you never got a card of Phil Roof's brother, Babe?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-05-2019, 09:13 PM

Love the story. Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Scott Russell

If anyone ever finds a beat up 1981 George Brett with something written on the back in black crayon I would pay dearly for it. That card would be my equivalent.

Great story, thanks for sharing, again!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Finally, a nice card collecting story.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 08-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Great Story! Thanks for sharing!

I assume you never got a card of Phil Roof's brother, Babe?
Good one!

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-06-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:00 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingman59 View Post

This reminds me of when I sent a TTM request to Bobby Thomson when I was 10 or 11 and, in the request letter, I wrote how impressed I was with his son...Robby Thompson. Both named Robert and played with the Giants; 'p' be damned!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:08 AM
K@t Alex@nder

Thanks for sharing! Ernie Banks has always been one of my favorites. Greatly appreciated!
Old 08-07-2019, 02:20 AM
Rich Klein

There are, of course, a plethora of great collecting stories. The way Mark told this was wonderful and I'm sure I'm not the only one who asked him to bring the card with him going forward to keep the story alive.

Rich
Old 08-07-2019, 03:31 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

- certainly a breath of fresh air amidst all the other stuff we cannot seem to avoid...even here.

MUCH APPRECIATED!!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-07-2019, 06:35 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Wonderful story, and truly an historic card!

Thanks for sharing.