NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Default Barnes & Noble 2019 Black Friday Signed Books

The list is out...I don't know if it's complete. Only Jerry Rice and Barry Zito for sports. Also it appears they are doing this earlier than Black Friday this year. Saturday the 16th they start hitting stores.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/signed-editions-books

So far I think I'll be grabbing
-Hillary and Chelsea Clinton
-Flea
-Neil Gaiman
-Debbie Harry
-Joni Mitchell
-Demi Moore
-Michelle Obama
-Jerry Rice
-Carly Simon
-Paul Stanley
Old 11-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
The list is out...I don't know if it's complete. Only Jerry Rice and Barry Zito for sports. Also it appears they are doing this earlier than Black Friday this year. Saturday the 16th they start hitting stores.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/signed-editions-books

So far I think I'll be grabbing
-Hillary and Chelsea Clinton
-Flea
-Neil Gaiman
-Debbie Harry
-Joni Mitchell
-Demi Moore
-Michelle Obama
-Jerry Rice
-Carly Simon
-Paul Stanley

Stinks that the Obama and Mitchell are so much higher than the books normally are.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Stinks that the Obama and Mitchell are so much higher than the books normally are.
How are you seeing the prices? I only see graphics of the books, but no pricing info...
Old 11-12-2019, 07:28 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
How are you seeing the prices? I only see graphics of the books, but no pricing info...
Cause the Obama is already on preorder for $150. And I saw Mitchell was in the $150- $200 on another site(so possibly hers could be cheaper at Barnes. It would be great it they were cheaper on black Friday or the 16th. But I doubt they will drop them all the way down to the 20-35 range that the others normally are.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I saw ADM McRaven's book on there, and might pick up a copy. I chuckled at the title ("Sea Stories: A Life in Special Operations") because after the Bin Laden raid, when he was still head of SOCOM, he spoke at the Naval Academy and did a Q+A with the midshipmen afterwards. On of them asked him "Sir, can you tell us a sea story?" and he answered "No. Next question."
Old 11-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Dan Bretta

I got all the books on my list except for Joni Mitchell and Michelle Obama. Brock was right, the Obama book is $150 and you can't see the signature because the book is shrink wrapped. Neither of my local stores had the Joni Mitchell book. The gal who looked it up for me told me it was very limited and retails for $200.

They are very limited this year compared to last year, they only had the books on a rolling cart. Not sure why they released them two weeks early and without any fanfare. I was the only person at the door when they opened and the only person who even looked at the signed books in my 20 minutes in the store. As soon as word gets out they will be gone fast because they just didn't have very many copies of each book.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Default Barnes and Noble

I went to the store in Norman, Oklahoma this morning. I got there right as they opened and I was the only one looking at the signed books. I bought Michelle Obama, Tom Brokaw, Demi Moore, Neil Gaiman, Debbie Harry, Carly Simon, and Seth MacFarlane. They didn’t have the Joni Mitchell book but an employee checked and a store in Oklahoma City had 1 copy in stock so they held it for me and I drove there to buy that one. If you are a B&N member everything is 10 percent off. The Obama was $150 and Mitchell was $200. Al others were between $20 and $35. This was advertised very poorly and for some reason they are still calling it a Black Friday sale even though it’s already happening.

Jason
Old 11-16-2019, 07:00 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonxmay View Post
I went to the store in Norman, Oklahoma this morning. I got there right as they opened and I was the only one looking at the signed books. I bought Michelle Obama, Tom Brokaw, Demi Moore, Neil Gaiman, Debbie Harry, Carly Simon, and Seth MacFarlane. They didn’t have the Joni Mitchell book but an employee checked and a store in Oklahoma City had 1 copy in stock so they held it for me and I drove there to buy that one. If you are a B&N member everything is 10 percent off. The Obama was $150 and Mitchell was $200. Al others were between $20 and $35. This was advertised very poorly and for some reason they are still calling it a Black Friday sale even though it’s already happening.

Jason

Just a heads up the Obama and MacFarlane might be autopen. Several people in FB groups are saying the Obama's are autopen and Seth is a big into autopen/his dad signing autos.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

MacFarlane are autopens, as well as some others (Rachel Ray questioned). Here's the blowout thread:
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1332681
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:44 PM

Default Autopen

I just compared mine to some examples I found online. The MacFarlane is definitely autopen, and the Obama is definitely not. Thanks for the heads up.

Jason

Quote:
Just a heads up the Obama and MacFarlane might be autopen. Several people in FB groups are saying the Obama's are autopen and Seth is a big into autopen/his dad signing autos.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:22 PM
Dan Bretta

I didn’t even pick up the Family Guy book because I thought it was signed by the author and not McFarlane.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 AM
Brock

Quote:
I just compared mine to some examples I found online. The MacFarlane is definitely autopen, and the Obama is definitely not. Thanks for the heads up.

Jason
Can you post a photo? Have only seen acouple that people actually unopened.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:15 AM

Default Obama

This is mine. I found two for sale on eBay that showed photos of the signature and my paralegal bought one yesterday and the signature on her’s is also different.

Quote:
Can you post a photo? Have only seen acouple that people actually unopened.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D9B80D80-6992-4BFE-9C03-ABCB05CF0B5D.jpg (10.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Here is my Obama book...She has a consistent signature which may be fooling people into thinking it’s autopen but there are definite differences in mine and Jason’s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A11E2555-8506-4EE2-8A6D-3993074F3BFC.jpg (7.0 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 11-17-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:39 PM
Brock

Quote:
Here is my Obama book...She has a consistent signature which may be fooling people into thinking it’s autopen but there are definite differences in mine and Jason’s.
Ok, just passing along other info that I've read on other forums/sites. Someone did say Beckett said the one they bought was auto pen. But all that matters is if you guys are happy, so enjoy.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Default Obama

Here’s a comparison of 8 different signed books that I put together, including the one Steve Grad of Beckett claims is an autopen. As you can see, all 8 are clearly different. They are without a doubt not autopen.

Quote:
Ok, just passing along other info that I've read on other forums/sites. Someone did say Beckett said the one they bought was auto pen. But all that matters is if you guys are happy, so enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7DC4AFFA-3BA0-4EB6-857A-6B3B0592F676.jpg (8.1 KB, 207 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Grad claims they are autopen but all he did was retweet someone else claiming that and then immediately made his own tweet calling out Michelle Obama. Nobody has shown any proof that these are autopenned. Nobody has shown a single pair of identical signatures yet. I’m thinking that Grad let his political bias show without any proof whatsoever. Also let’s not forget that this is Steve Grad who learned autographs from convicted felon Bill Mastro and perjured himself when he claimed he graduated from Columbia College. Also the same Steve Grad that authenticated a forged 1927 Yankees ball.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:03 PM
Brock

Quote:
Here’s a comparison of 8 different signed books that I put together, including the one Steve Grad of Beckett claims is an autopen. As you can see, all 8 are clearly different. They are without a doubt not autopen.
Well there is such a thing has having more than one version of an autopen

Last edited by yanks12025; 11-17-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:13 PM
Dan Bretta

Well so far she has a different autopen for every example shown. Why didn’t Seth Macfarlane or Reese Witherspoon think of that?
Old 11-18-2019, 04:17 AM
Brock

Quote:
Well so far she has a different autopen for every example shown. Why didn’t Seth Macfarlane or Reese Witherspoon think of that?

You told me last year that the Witherspoons were all different and not autopen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 6.16.34 AM.jpg (16.3 KB, 172 views)
Old 11-18-2019, 07:13 AM
Dan Bretta

I was wrong about Witherspoon. And I’ll admit I’m wrong here if anyone can actually prove it. So far on Facebook there are 15 examples shown and every single one is unique. Not only that but the signatures look similar to how she signed many personalized copies of the book in person.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:18 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

She's a good signer. Here's two balls signed in person, one by herself:

And here's one with Barack. She didn't seem all that practiced in signing a ball (who can blame her, only one person was asking for a signed ball):

Old 11-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Dan Bretta

Her in person signature is jerky, just like the books. One guy on Facebook has gathered over 50 different sigs from the books with no identical signatures as of yet.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 11-19-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM
Brock

Quote:
Her in person signature is jerky, just like the books. One guy on Facebook has gathered over 50 different sigs from the books with no identical signatures as of yet.
What group is that? I'd like to see the 50 autographs from the Barnes and Nobles editions.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Dan Bretta

RACC Real Autograph Collectors Club. And the guy doesn’t show all of them but I’m guessing if you join the group you can ask him to show them. One guy has shown 15 different with all being unique.