NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-31-2023, 07:50 AM
Frank Wakefield

Default 2023 rule changes, unintended consequences

I don't really KNOW what I'm about to post about (not a first).

The new rules... a few unintended consequences have crossed my mind. First one I would like to hear thoughts on is the pitch clock.

From my prejudiced, incorrect Old Times were better perspective, Bob Gibson would have no trouble pitching with the clock change. Lots of pitchers in the 60s could work quickly. Sometimes, when listening to the radio, when the radio break was 60 seconds, I recall there were pitchers that would already be a pitch or two into the first batter before the commercial break was over. The announcer would say what the first two pitches were as the third pitch was happening. Those were the days of games occasionally being complete under 2 hours. NOT TRUE with many modern pictures. As a Cardinals fan, I've agonized as Giovanny Gallegos would tentatively stand on the mound between pitches.... Players on the field with Bob Gibson would have to be alert, because Gibson was pitching, constantly. Jim Kaat worked quickly later in his career.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1680270179

The Cardinal's hurler, who pitches a glacier-like frequency. 'cause a thread needs a card.

These modern pitchers have gotten accustomed to having their own amount of time to get ready between pitches. Thoughts: Might delivering a pitch with greater frequency reduce the possible velocity that could have been placed on the pitch? Will pitch count for a starter go down because he now can't take as long to catch his breath, relax his arm, then start his windup?

So, my first question:

Most 2023 pitchers have learned to pitch at their own pace, will the pitch clock rules result in some injured arms because a pitcher's pitch frequency and pattern has changed?
Attached Images
File Type: png 2023 Topps Giovanny Gallegos.png (158.2 KB, 749 views)

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 03-31-2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think pitchers will get used to the clock over time and it won't affect them too greatly. I pitched as a youngster and think I could adapt. Making the games be a bit shorter isn't a bad thing. That all said, it doesn't matter much to me as I don't watch MLB or keep up with it.
Old 03-31-2023, 08:40 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I think the pitch clock over time will be good for the game but when a strike is called on a player(Mets/Miami game) for a player getting back to first base to late then seems odd. Punishing a player for the actions of another player

And also striking out with a pitch thrown because of the batter not engaging in time seems odd (forgot which team that was)

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 03-31-2023, 08:51 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

I'm sure all will get used to it but the 15 seconds still seems too rushed to me. I wish they would have increased it to 20-30 even with the bases empty.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 03-31-2023, 08:58 AM
D.an Jackso.n

I went to the Cardinals and Blue Jays game yesterday and they still managed to exceed 3 1/2 hours for a 9 inning game. Admittedly, it wasn't a very pretty game. 10-9 with tons of pitching changes.

However, the game moved noticeably quicker when there was action going on in the field. Which I and everyone seemed to enjoy.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:03 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

The players are professionals and this is their job. They will adapt just like every person is forced to do when their jobs have rules. There will be a learning curve like Pete Alonso casually strolling back to first after a foul ball. The game will be better for it in the long run.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:05 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post
I went to the Cardinals and Blue Jays game yesterday and they still managed to exceed 3 1/2 hours for a 9 inning game. Admittedly, it wasn't a very pretty game. 10-9 with tons of pitching changes.

However, the game moved noticeably quicker when there was action going on in the field. Which I and everyone seemed to enjoy.
I am taking a wait and see on the clock, but honestly do like it to this point. As to the latter statement, that is where I would like a bit of a change.

To see less pitching changes would help my enjoyment. Something like a minimum batters faced requirement or a per game limit for changes.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 03-31-2023 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:10 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
I am taking a wait and see on the clock, but honestly do like it to this point. As to the latter statement, that is where I would like a bit of a change.

To see less pitching changes would help my enjoyment. Something like a minimum batters faced requirement or a per game limit for changes.
Pretty sure there is a minimum batters faced requirement already on the books...

IIRC, 3 batters is the minimum, unless the pitcher ends the inning, in which case a new pitcher can start the next inning.

But maybe 3 is too few for your taste? Maybe 5 or 10 would be better?

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-31-2023, 09:50 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Interesting thesis

There's actually an article in today's WSJ suggesting that the pitch clock will provide more rest for players. By shortening up games ~ 20-30 mins apiece, there's about 2.5-3 hours less of playing time each week. That's basically a whole game!

And then when you add in travel schedules and all that jazz, shortening up the game can make a difference on the wear and tear for players. In theory, they can play more games if the games are shorter.

Obviously the counterargument is that the games are shorter but more intense, so there's no real savings in terms of physical exertion.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 03-31-2023, 10:12 AM

I watched some spring training ball. I felt rushed just watching the game. If the pitch clock was even 5-10 seconds longer would be better. It is the enormous amount of pitcher changes these days that really lengthen the game and make it hard to stay attentive.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:29 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I think the pitch clock over time will be good for the game but when a strike is called on a player(Mets/Miami game) for a player getting back to first base to late then seems odd. Punishing a player for the actions of another player

And also striking out with a pitch thrown because of the batter not engaging in time seems odd (forgot which team that was)
It was Devers, I was there, and it was BS.....CANNOT have that happen because of 1-2 seconds. Both he and pitcher were engaged but clock went below 8 seconds and Devers needed to be looking at the pitcher. It's a crappy rule that needs to be tweaked.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:57 PM
Ken McMillan

The pitch clock definitely shortens the game and may lead to more DWI arrests as if you have to drink the same number of beers in a shorte time, then there will be more drunk drivers. Also the beer vendors will make less as fewer beers can be consumed in 2 hours. Bet MLB didn’t consider these facts.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:16 PM
Steve

I knew I would like the pitch clock, but I didn't realize I would love it as much as I do. Games were just becoming unwatchable with all of the stalling...

Now if they would only get rid of replay challenges or at least penalize unsuccessful challenges, that would be great.

My guess is that teams had pitchers doing a while lot more tabata with their workouts over the off-season to help reduce their recovery times between pitches. That, plus going max effort less frequently during the game. I wouldn't be surprised if pitcher injuries actually drop in a couple of years once they learn how to pitch instead of just throwing hard...
Old 03-31-2023, 07:58 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

When I first heard it was going to be a thing, I was against the pitch clock and didn't enjoy it watching Minor league ball that we have locally. Just didn't feel right, and I consider myself a traditionalist. But like others, I really loved the pace of the Ms/Guardians game last night and I'm glad the telecast didn't have the timer shown. It was out of sight, and the game moved at an amazing pace. Im a convert.

We did have a moment last night that was definitely an unintended consequence. A reliever came in the 8th and it was clear he wasn't comfortable. The sold out crowd got louder, and he got an infraction. Next pitch, the crowd loudly started counting down! He threw the next pitch over the catchers head! The crowd made a HUGE difference, didn't see that coming. He went from 0-2, to walking him...then he gave up a 3 run home run...Ms won 3-0. Sports radio today could not stop talking about how the large and loud crowd made a difference. This will be a game changer on many levels.

Guess I'm not as traditionalist as I thought. Still hate the extra inning ghost runner...hate it.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 03-31-2023, 09:05 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcardsfan View Post

To be fair, that game had 30+ hits and a strike zone the size of a grapefruit. I enjoyed it. 10/12 games clocked in under 3 hours and the late games were over at decent time. If the STL/TOR game would have been played last year it probably would have pushed 5 hours.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:34 PM
Mike

I like the games to be between 2 /1/2 and 3 hours, if less than that I feel like I'm being cheated for the price I pay. Fans will have to drink and eat faster at the games or the vending income etc will be affected.
Old 04-07-2023, 04:19 PM
Doug Goodman

I just got back from my first game of the season, which went 2 hours and 17 minutes.

I have to say, I did not hate the pitch clock as much I wanted to.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230407_175812708.MP.jpg (197.4 KB, 443 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 06:10 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
The pitch clock definitely shortens the game and may lead to more DWI arrests as if you have to drink the same number of beers in a shorte time, then there will be more drunk drivers.
I've read that a couple of teams are already either delaying last call by an inning, or eliminating it altogether.

Not good.

Last call is an issue of public safety. If someone gets killed by a drunken driver and it can be proven the driver was at a game where last call was delayed or removed, you can bet the team will be named as a defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:12 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
I've read that a couple of teams are already either delaying last call by an inning, or eliminating it altogether.

Not good.

Last call is an issue of public safety. If someone gets killed by a drunken driver and it can be proven the driver was at a game where last call was delayed or removed, you can bet the team will be named as a defendant in the wrongful death lawsuit.
Be interesting to see what happens. The games are going so fast and the teams are probably losing a lot of sales of beer in these shorter games
Hopefully they find a responsible balance

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-16-2023, 06:40 PM
Chris

Maybe it’s just me, but I think individuals can be personally accountable for their decisions to drink and drive…. I love the new pitch clock. A 7pm game that goes 3.5+ hours is brutal.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:44 PM
Pete Sycks

I'm usually a purist when it comes to baseball, but I love the pitch clock. It cuts out 25-30 minutes of dead time that needed to be cut out. Having a guy throw over to first 4-5x's per at bat just to delay the game was too much. I also don't think it'll impact the long term effect on a pitchers' arm if they speed up their delivery by 3-5 seconds.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 04-18-2023, 08:55 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Be interesting to see what happens. The games are going so fast and the teams are probably losing a lot of sales of beer in these shorter games
Hopefully they find a responsible balance
Do the teams run the concessions now? Back years ago, it was an outside company that ran the concessions under contract from the team. Harry M Stevens was the one here, and probably other places as well.

The teams and MLB may be taking some heat from whoever is running them, if the available selling time has been reduced for all concessions.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Mike

Maybe they could open up earlier ( 30 more minutes) so the fans could see batting and fielding practice and this would also increase some vending and merchandise sales.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:12 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Do the teams run the concessions now? Back years ago, it was an outside company that ran the concessions under contract from the team. Harry M Stevens was the one here, and probably other places as well.

The teams and MLB may be taking some heat from whoever is running them, if the available selling time has been reduced for all concessions.
There may be some variations on a theme out there. But for the most part, I think it's contracted out. Although I suspect the teams get a cut of the sales.

And I agree that anyone running concessions now might want to revisit their contract when it comes around to renewal time, particularly if the new pace of play has impacted sales.

Side note: My favorite vendor pitch has always been the guy walking down the aisle yelling at the top of his lungs: "Sack-a-nuts!!!!"

1963 Post complete panel
Old 04-18-2023, 10:22 AM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Much better to watch now, faster, same amount of play in shorter time, just much more entertaining.
I did not expect that to be the case.

However, how is this going to affect the teams revenue, not only with concessions and apparel , but what about TV advertisement ? I would think shorter games means less advertisers? Maybe someone could clear this up.
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 04-18-2023, 10:32 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
However, how is this going to affect the teams revenue, not only with concessions and apparel , but what about TV advertisement ? I would think shorter games means less advertisers? Maybe someone could clear this up.
It seems like TV ads mostly come in-between innings. And those shouldn’t be affected by the pitch clock.

They did shorten the between inning time a few years ago. But the speed of each half inning of play shouldn’t have an impact on ads, unless the broadcasters are sneaking in ads during play.

1963 Post complete panel
Old 04-18-2023, 01:25 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
It seems like TV ads mostly come in-between innings. And those shouldn’t be affected by the pitch clock.

They did shorten the between inning time a few years ago. But the speed of each half inning of play shouldn’t have an impact on ads, unless the broadcasters are sneaking in ads during play.
Yep. That makes sense!
Successful transactions: sycks22, charlietheextervminator, Scocs, Thromdog, trdcrdkid, mybuddyinc, troutbum97, Natedog, Kingcobb, usernamealreadytaken, t206fanatic, asoriano, rsdill2, hatchetman325, cobbcobb13, dbfirstman, Blunder19, Scott L. ,Eggoman, ncinin, vintagewhitesox, aloondilana, btcarfagno, ZiggerZagger, blametony, shammus, Kris19, brewing, rootsearcher60, Pat R , sportscardpete , Leon , OriolesHOF , Gobucsmagic74, Pilot172000, Chesbro41, scmavl,t206kid,3-2-count,GoldenAge50s
Old 04-18-2023, 02:45 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Much better to watch now, faster, same amount of play in shorter time, just much more entertaining.
I did not expect that to be the case.

They also have commercials during the game, I've seen quick 5 second ads and longer ads on a split screen.
Old 04-18-2023, 04:06 PM
Bob C.

FYI, possibly more upcoming rule changes in another couple years or so.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/spor...185213116.html
Old 04-18-2023, 04:56 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
FYI, possibly more upcoming rule changes in another couple years or so.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/spor...185213116.html
Ugh. That designated pinch runner idea is terrible IMO
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 04-19-2023, 08:44 AM
Steve Birmingham

As George Harrison said on The Simpsons
Eh, it's been done.

Finley was WAY ahead of his time.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:47 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

If the fans are thirsty, let them drink Coke.