NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Robert Williams

Default Taking a break from the hobby (and that is why I hate .99 cent auctions!)

Hello all. Due to some unforeseen circumstances on my part, I am going to be taking a little break from the hobby. I am putting up my personal collection on Ebay (the easy stuff that I am able to do myself) and then consigning the rest to some of the big boys. I wanted to thank all the great friends I made on here, and if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:51 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Sorry to hear that; good luck with the sales.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Chris Moore

Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Robert Williams

wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkwaxjunkie View Post
Hope your circumstances improve! What is your eBay ID? I'll check out the ones you post there.
Robert- I hope you get back soon...I'll check out your ebay items as soon as you post your ebay id.

Good Luck,
Raymond

OOPS! Everyone types faster than me.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 04-11-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Bill

Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:03 PM
Chris Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
wandw-auctions

Thank you so much.

I'm starting tonight on listing some stuff and will trying my best to get as much as I can during the next few month. I got quite a bit, so bear with me.
I just followed you - definitely keep an eye out. Best of luck to you.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Robert Williams

This is personal collection stuff/stuff I recently accumulated. I went to the safe and grabbed the stuff that I was working on. A lot of low grade collector cards that I collected. You can also see what I personally collected, that not too many people knew about because I didn't want the competition (lol).
Old 04-11-2016, 05:28 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default auctions

sorry..not seeing anything come up on ebay for that ?
Old 04-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Robert Williams

edited

Last edited by Leon; 04-24-2016 at 08:27 AM. Reason: rules violation
Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I did the same thing a year or so ago...sold my 50's sets to adopt another child...bought a classic car...ect...haha. Anyhow, I didn't know if I would get back in but the focus may have left...actually for over a year completely forgotten, but it didn't die. My wife bought me a 1960 Mantle for Christmas...and vualla...I am back in set collecting and loving it. I guess I felt compelled to post here because I wanted you to know that leaving and coming back felt great and I'm having more fun than ever. Strange picking up cards I sold off...but I do find that I am WAY more picky this go around. I do love this hobby but have others as well...

Anyways...enjoy the break and hope to have you back...cycles of life and sometimes other demands just require more focus. Good luck to you...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 04-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Jimmy

Good Luck, we have all had to do that at one time or another

Jimmy
Old 04-11-2016, 05:53 PM
Robert Williams

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

]

we shall see.....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 04-11-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
]

we shall see.....
I don't have any bigger pieces. I do have some that I find hard to part with (Jim Brown rookie), but for the most part, everything will be out there.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:38 PM
J@son C@rter

Default Had some good times

Bobby, I wish this weren't the case. We kept it interesting for a while going in on some cards. That Namath rookie comes to mind, we sure rolled the dice on that one!
Old 04-12-2016, 02:49 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddux31 View Post
Bobby, I wish this weren't the case. We kept it interesting for a while going in on some cards. That Namath rookie comes to mind, we sure rolled the dice on that one!
lol...Hey Jason! I wish we still had that one. We might have let that one go a little prematurely, as the prices on that one sure has risen up since we sold ours. All Star Cards alone is paying $1250 for that card, no fees, and Ebay buyers would be salivating at the mouth to get that one!
Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
if anyone is interested in anything, please check out my auctions.
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Several of your listing the cards are SGC slabbed "A" "AUTH" but in your description of the card you say they are Near Mint or EX/MT. Why weren't these cards given a number grade?
Larry
Those were the kinds of cards I went after Larry. I liked nice looking cards that had some kind of "issue" with them. You got them at a nice discount compared to the look. They were actually pretty difficult to find, as a few of the dealers (everyone knows who they are) actually snapped them up and sold them as raw, and received substantially more money. I am worried that that is what is going to happen with these. Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:00 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

Quote:
Usually there was an issue that SGC wouldn't give a number grade. Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc. I have also had "A" cards measure up correctly turn around and get a number grade on a subsequent submission.
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 11:05 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Hi Bobby, sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, this will just be a short break and you'll be back in the hobby soon.

Thanks Gary. I knew I should have stayed out of the pool hall!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
Trimming, color touch, erased pencil mark, etc describe cards in Poor condition, not Near Mint.
Larry
I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM!

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
I was giving the eye appeal "appearance" of a card. You can have a trimmed card appear near mint. Hell, even the PSA card with the lowest cert appears NM!

Seriously though. I am describing what the cards eye appeal level appears to be. Not all trimmed cards are in "poor"" shape! I actively pursued these types of cards. I am sure others do too.
i have a hard time believing u will be able to stay away from this board!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Gotta say I bit confused . I've takin a break from the hobby myself . I just put my stuff in the closet and didn't buy and new stuff . Then a year or two later I jump back in . You could take a break and keep your stuff imo.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:

there is some wide use of the term NM etc....funny if all card were raw , there would be 10000x more returns on ebay about 'item not described'

however as it has been discussed on this board...it is not uncommon for graded 'A' cards to sell for far more than '1's or even '2'+s due to eye appeal....'poor' if deemed a purpose of a graded '1' for valuation would not be accurate on a nice 'A' that would sell for a higher price than a '1' etc
Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
there is some wide use of the term NM etc....funny if all card were raw , there would be 10000x more returns on ebay about 'item not described'

however as it has been discussed on this board...it is not uncommon for graded 'A' cards to sell for far more than '1's or even '2'+s due to eye appeal....'poor' if deemed a purpose of a graded '1' for valuation would not be accurate on a nice 'A' that would sell for a higher price than a '1' etc
Exactly...I rather have a nice looking "A" than a beat up "1" (Poor) card any day of the week, and twice on Sunday!! However, I am sure I am in the minority.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:

I see what both you and Larry are saying. In some cases it is more obvious that the card is trimmed, but others not so much (the '48 Bowman Feller?). And for the more 'obvious' cases of why it's authentic (and didn't receive a grade), I have no problem not explicitly being told. The large scans help a lot there!

What I (as a buyer) would prefer though would be something like:
"The card appears to be NM but was graded Authentic due to color retouching." Just my 2 cents. That said... I know it was graded A for SOME reason, so I bid accordingly if I can't tell what that reason might be.

Some very nice cards in any case. Good luck. As someone else posted, when you do get back in, you'll have a different outlook and will probably be surprised at the items that you sold which you don't miss.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I see what both you and Larry are saying. In some cases it is more obvious that the card is trimmed, but others not so much (the '48 Bowman Feller?). And for the more 'obvious' cases of why it's authentic (and didn't receive a grade), I have no problem not explicitly being told. The large scans help a lot there!

What I (as a buyer) would prefer though would be something like:
"The card appears to be NM but was graded Authentic due to color retouching." Just my 2 cents. That said... I know it was graded A for SOME reason, so I bid accordingly if I can't tell what that reason might be.

Some very nice cards in any case. Good luck. As someone else posted, when you do get back in, you'll have a different outlook and will probably be surprised at the items that you sold which you don't miss.
Point taken. Some are obvious (the Yaz is trimmed). Others not so much. I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm pretty good, but things like that, I'm not good at at all. I once cracked an 'A' card out because it measured up and another grader gave it a '5' (MC)!!! I just describe it the way I know how, and bidders can blow up the scans really big and see for themselves.

I hear you on "not missing" any cards!! Time will tell!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Browns View Post
Good luck with the sales Bobby. I'm glad to hear it's only a break. Look forward to your return. Take care till then!
Ditto--your posts were always among the very most knowledgeable and valuable. I'll miss them! Like you, I don't often like to reveal the object(s) of my hunts, because I don't want the competition either.

Best wishes,

Larry
Old 04-12-2016, 11:28 PM
Bill Gregory

Good luck to you, Bobby. I hope that eventually you'll be able to come back to the hobby.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:16 PM
Robert Williams

Uh-oh....Pending issue right out the gate!!

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-21-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Uh-oh....Pending issue right out the gate!!
Schleprock

Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Schleprock

LOL. I think he wants someone to take interest and ask what happened. I will take the bait.

Robert, what is the problem you have encountered?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

I'm taking a break from the board too.
Gonna go make myself a ham sandwich. See you guys back here in a few minutes...
Old 04-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
I'm taking a break from the board too.
Gonna go make myself a ham sandwich. See you guys back here in a few minutes...
LMAO, me too, I am leaving the board....
I am getting up to walk into the kitchen to get some more coffeee.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Robert Williams

I'm giving the board member time to complete the transaction. I have sold plenty of cards where the buyer wins them for a song and I have ALWAYS shipped them out. It's the first I've heard that a buyer is upset that his snipe got bid up too high and he doesn't wish to pay that high of a price for the card.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:37 PM
$cotty @.utin

I still can't see anything in your eBay store, active or sold.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 04-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Robert Williams

Cause you are international. My stuff only shows up stateside.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
I'm giving the board member time to complete the transaction. I have sold plenty of cards where the buyer wins them for a song and I have ALWAYS shipped them out. It's the first I've heard that a buyer is upset that his snipe got bid up too high and he doesn't wish to pay that high of a price for the card.
So a bidder set a snipe on your auction, won it, and now doesn't want to pay. And this bidder is a board member?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Why bring this up at all? If you want to give the bidder a chance to complete that's fine but then what was the point of posting this?
Old 04-23-2016, 06:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why bring this up at all? If you want to give the bidder a chance to complete that's fine but then what was the point of posting this?
Maybe so that the buyer will see this and it will motivate him to pay and the situation won't have to go any further.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:23 PM
$téve VV1lk

I am that bidder! Didnt see this until now, so I will try and clear the air with an unambiguous post.

I set a snipe on a few of Robert's cards but one particular one I accidentally added an extra digit to it, unknowingly (the 3 digit number is a common one that I have to use, so I'm guessing it was muscle memory). Either way, my 2 digit bid turned into a hefty 3 digit bid. Obviously I wasn't going to lose the auction with this bid (mathematically my bid would be at least 10x larger). I ended up winning the auction for about 65% more than VCP, while setting a new record for said card's grade. The card is stellar looking, so it may be worth... to someone... just not me.

I explained this to Robert and asked him if he minded maybe seeing if any of the underbidders would like to buy it as a Second Chance. He deflected and told me that I got a great deal because it's an awesome card (which again it is). I asked again for some understanding, even pulled the "net54 member" card. He told me that I had 7 days to pay and if I didnt that I would be given a Did Not Pay strike and banned from his auctions and "Do you really want to be blocked from our auctions when we are going to be giving all sorts of stuff away in the next few months??". I have since offered to compensate the difference if he could find an underbidder willing to buy it. I made a mistake, but if he could help fix or alleviate it, then I would gladly compensate him for his troubles. He obviously doesnt have to help me out at all, but maybe he will, so I asked, and it looks like his initial post was made just minutes after I did so, so I don't knwo if it was directed at me, or meant to be bait for someone else. Either way, here I am making a post to clear the air. (Which I really didnt think warranted this much attention)

I have 7 days to pay for the card. The "pending issue" was me asking for him to take some time and help me out. I never said that I wouldn't pay for the item. I definitely dont do this habitually and this is the first time that I can recall asking for some understanding from a seller. I would have simply paid for the item and took the "loss" but I figured that being a fellow board member that Robert would be understanding and take a few minutes to send out 2 or 3 Second Chance offers. And again, he's not obligated to do that at all.

That's the pending issue... which is still pending.

Last edited by wilkiebaby11; 04-23-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Life is too short to shove a card down someone's throat. Particularly a fellow board member. I think most people here would just accept Steve's explanation and move on.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-23-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Life is too short to shove a card down someone's throat. Particularly a fellow board member. I think most people here would just accept Steve's explanation and move on.
I have never heard of a single time when forcing a sale through eBay worked out for the seller. Heard a lot of bad stories how items get destroyed and then item not as described cases being opened against the seller though.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I have never heard of a single time when forcing a sale through eBay worked out for the seller. Heard a lot of bad stories how items get destroyed and then item not as described cases being opened against the seller though.
Irrespective of that it's just bad manners and bad karma. The man made a mistake, let it go, you still have the card and you will find another buyer. If you lose a few bucks in the process, so it goes.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:40 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Yep. And, I imagine getting one "Did Not Pay" strike probably doesn't affect an ebay buyer too harshly either.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:33 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
I am that bidder! Didnt see this until now, so I will try and clear the air with an unambiguous post.

I set a snipe on a few of Robert's cards but one particular one I accidentally added an extra digit to it, unknowingly (the 3 digit number is a common one that I have to use, so I'm guessing it was muscle memory). Either way, my 2 digit bid turned into a hefty 3 digit bid. Obviously I wasn't going to lose the auction with this bid (mathematically my bid would be at least 10x larger). I ended up winning the auction for about 65% more than VCP, while setting a new record for said card's grade. The card is stellar looking, so it may be worth... to someone... just not me.

I explained this to Robert and asked him if he minded maybe seeing if any of the underbidders would like to buy it as a Second Chance. He deflected and told me that I got a great deal because it's an awesome card (which again it is). I asked again for some understanding, even pulled the "net54 member" card. He told me that I had 7 days to pay and if I didnt that I would be given a Did Not Pay strike and banned from his auctions and "Do you really want to be blocked from our auctions when we are going to be giving all sorts of stuff away in the next few months??". I have since offered to compensate the difference if he could find an underbidder willing to buy it. I made a mistake, but if he could help fix or alleviate it, then I would gladly compensate him for his troubles. He obviously doesnt have to help me out at all, but maybe he will, so I asked, and it looks like his initial post was made just minutes after I did so, so I don't knwo if it was directed at me, or meant to be bait for someone else. Either way, here I am making a post to clear the air. (Which I really didnt think warranted this much attention)

I have 7 days to pay for the card. The "pending issue" was me asking for him to take some time and help me out. I never said that I wouldn't pay for the item. I definitely dont do this habitually and this is the first time that I can recall asking for some understanding from a seller. I would have simply paid for the item and took the "loss" but I figured that being a fellow board member that Robert would be understanding and take a few minutes to send out 2 or 3 Second Chance offers. And again, he's not obligated to do that at all.

That's the pending issue... which is still pending.
you sound like you stepping up but offering to pay the difference and also willing to just pay......i just want to add that if i ever received a 2nd chance offer from a seller i never buy it...i also really downgrade the seller in my eyes as he could be legit..or he could just be using a shill and 'won' the card by accident....if someone won one of my aucitons i wouldnt do a 2nd chance auction to the underbidder for those reasons..
Old 04-23-2016, 10:41 PM
$téve VV1lk

Quote:
you sound like you stepping up but offering to pay the difference and also willing to just pay......i just want to add that if i ever received a 2nd chance offer from a seller i never buy it...i also really downgrade the seller in my eyes as he could be legit..or he could just be using a shill and 'won' the card by accident....if someone won one of my aucitons i wouldnt do a 2nd chance auction to the underbidder for those reasons..
Those were the seller's concerns as well. I understand them.

I have bought through 2nd Chance offers before. In this case though, his/your concerns would probably match that of any underbidder. The card went for a record high, so it definitely would spook suspicion to anyone receiving said offer as to why the record breaker did want to buy it.

I feel as though we will come to some mutual agreement after our initial disagreement/issue.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:54 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiebaby11 View Post
Those were the seller's concerns as well. I understand them.

I feel as though we will come to some mutual agreement after our initial disagreement/issue.
No one has ever accused the op of taking the less winding road. I bet he got rock hard reading as you were explaining your situation.

Of course it wouldve been too simple just cancelling the transaction...but then if the board didnt know about it, was there any drama at all?