NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much Tim. Coming from another great artist, it means a lot!

Andrew, I'm amazed you feel that way about the Winslow!! That is, amazed and really thrilled! I really hope that in the future, I can do more paintings of these 19th century guys and treat them similarly. I have a couple of great shots of Deacon White and Mike Kelly that have similar backdrops - they're BEGGING me to start them. But alas, not until I get myself caught up.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Graig
Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM
David McDonald

Quite the array. You make stunning look commonplace. Ever done a shitty painting? I didn't think so. Mark my words, Young Kreindler: Someday Cooperstown will have an artists' wing akin to the Ford Frick winners and you will be enshrined therein. Hope I am still alive so we can share a root beer on the veranda at the Otesaga.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Great job on the Winslow. Those maroon socks are slammin' and nicely balanced by the red H. I never heard of him and the glasses, 'stache, and Harvard shirt had me thinking it was Teddy Roosevelt.

I think the Thorpe is the best of the new group though. Another amazing job with the colors. This one is pretty close to the Matty as my favorite of your paintings.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Agree.... Thorpe is my favorite as well. Really love that Batting pose, and those subtle lavendar shades are just so enticing
Old 10-04-2014, 03:38 AM

Absolutely stunning, Graig!

Joe Jackson's stare absolutely pierces your soul.
The Jim Thorpe, as other poster's have intimated, is a clear winner and is drop dead gorgeous.

You perfectly captured Hammerin' Hank in all of his glory. He literally jumps right off the canvas.

Congrats to all of the lucky people that are adding these beauties to your collections! Awesome!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

It's been a busy couple of months since I posted last. I have a couple of larger pieces to get up on here, which I will do soon, but first I thought I'd start with all of these color studies:

Harry Wright, 1874

Christy Mathewson, 1900

Christy Mathewson, 1908

Ty Cobb, 1913

Honus Wagner, 1914

Babe Ruth, 1920

Babe Ruth, 1920

Lou Gehrig, 1927

Ted Williams, 1939

Jackie Robinson, 1948

Jackie Robinson, 1950

Mickey Mantle, 1956

Roberto Clemente, 1970

Derek Jeter, 2000

As I had mentioned before, all of the studies are 5" x 7" and act as preparatory work for the larger paintings. A couple of them had been commissions, and the rest were thrown up on eBay like the last batch. If any of you are interested in checking them out, here's my seller page.

I actually really like doing these little guys a lot, as it's a nice break from the larger stuff - it ends up being a different kind of thought process that goes into each one. What's also nice is the response I've been getting for them, as people seem to really dig the fact that they can add something they really like to their collection at a reasonable price. Or at least, that's what they've been saying.

Anywho, I hope you dig 'em.

Graig
Old 12-08-2014, 06:41 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

New studies look great Graig! Keep up the great work.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Er1cPr0chn0w

Great work as always. I really like the Matty 1900. The lace up jersey is really cool.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Belltown Vintage

Y'all bettuh not be eyein my Cobb now.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Just got these three back from the photographers today. The color-correction isn't quite there yet, but it's pretty darn close.

I'm not gonna lie, I had a BALL painting these three, all for different reasons.

Mike Kelly, 1887, 12" x 16"

Dutch Revelle, 1908, 12" x 16"

Willie Keeler, 1912, 20" x 16"

I've always wanted to try King Kelly, and the only thing standing between me and that was finding a quality scan of that image. Luckily the Hall of Fame came through. I only wish I could find a crap-ton of photos like these of the 19th century boys. I have a handful left that I'll be doing in the future, but always want to see more.

Dutch was also a treat. If nothing else, he was such a fun subject to tackle, especially being one of the more 'obscure' T206ers. I'm terribly fascinated by those guys, players who people today know so little about, but at that time, were beloved. Well, maybe it was a little different with Dutch, since he didn't make it to the bigs, but in the Southern league, I know he was quite the prospect. If I'm not mistaken, the Highlanders took a couple of looks at him over the years?

And, Keeler. What a face he had!! I'd been drawn to this image ever since I saw it, because of the wrinkles, the stands, and the jersey. Of course, that Dodger blue couldn't have hurt either.

Anywho, hope you enjoy 'em. Feel free to toss any critiques, questions or comments my way!

Thanks for reading,

Graig
Old 01-29-2015, 03:48 PM
Brian T.

Unbelievable, fantastic work again, Graig. You are truly a master.

When I first saw the letters on your Smoky Joe Wood painting, I was astounded. You did it again with Kelly. Your painting of Dutch makes me wonder what stories he could tell. He will make an incredible addition for somebody. So much character just leaps off the canvas.

I'm out of words. You da man!

ETA: the appearance of texture on Revelle's jersey blows my mind

Last edited by terjung; 01-29-2015 at 03:50 PM. Reason: found more words
Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 PM

The Dutch is so warm and lifelike, I can practically see his pulse. Love all three!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Joe

Being a lover of ancient flannel, I am amazed how the texture is captured in then uniforms. I feel like I can touch them. Amazing.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much for those kind words, guys. I'm thrilled you dig these.

I've definitely been digging doing these portraits a lot lately. What's nice about them is that they're pretty quick to do (well, quick my my standards), and they're such great ways to evoke the character of the game, whether it's because of facial hair, the vintage jerseys and hats, or even just the background of the painting. I'm hoping that I can continue to do a bunch of them throughout the years, especially more of the 19th century guys. It seems like the further back into history I go, the more excited I get!

Graig
Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 AM
Keith O'Leary

I'm out of adjectives...talent that very few have.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:18 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, Keith.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Pete Sycks

Never gets old looking at your amazing work.

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's
Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much, Pete!! I really appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

I thought I'd post a few of the other paintings I got back from my photographers recently, as they were also dropped off with Eric's painting for the raffle. I thought they were pretty cool for different reasons.

Christy Mathewson, 1900, 12" x 18"

Babe Ruth, 1920, 22" x 34"

Babe Ruth, September 28, 1932, 20" x 28"

The Matty was a lot of fun, especially since it's SUCH an early shot of him. He couldn't have been older than 19 or 20. And the weird insignia is from the Norfolk Phenoms of the Virginia League, who he played with before the Giants purchased his contract in July of 1900. Maaannn, those blue eyes!!

I've always wanted to do a painting of the Paul Thompson photograph, as I had already done a small study-like one of another from that same set. This one is my favorite of the three though, as Ruth looks so great as he's about to step into that pitch and shift his weight. I just felt like the movement and force of his gesture was too much to deny. Hopefully I did it justice on the canvas. And obviously, that motif of having the background in the shade with Babe being carved out with some of those light spots, that's the kind of stuff I LOVE.

The third Babe, well, if you haven't seen it and want to read more about the thought processes behind it, go here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=197463

And since this one's currently on the easel and I'm trying to finish it off, I figured it was worth showing. It's one of the older commissions I spoke of in the raffle thread - the client's been waiting for quite some time for it.

Babe Ruth, October 6, 1915, 40" x 34"

My goal is to get some of the other ones I've neglected over time done and outta here. It's been too long.

But in regards to the painting, it's amazing to think that only 774 people were at the Polo Grounds that day to see a doubleheader against the Yankees. Apparently Carrigan used a bunch of his starters for both contests, treating the two games like a dress rehearsal for the World Series, which would start two days later at the Baker Bowl.

Anywho, it's coming along. The stands still need some work, as does the dirt and grass, but they're all getting there. It's starting to feel like the chilly October day it's supposed to be.

I hope you dig them!! Any comments or questions are always welcome.

Thanks again,

Graig
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

More incredible stuff Graig!

Those all look great. I'm partial to the Ruth about to swing .
You nailed the weight transfer in the legs and the detail is just phenomenal!
The sunlight and shade area detail is awesome, down to the details in the dirt. Truly one of your best!

The other Ruth's and Matty look amazing too. That 1915 Ruth is gonna look great too when finished.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 03-10-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:49 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

You are amazeballs you are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.7 KB, 730 views)

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-11-2015, 02:54 PM
Graig Kreindler

Problems you have, Benny.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:50 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Not sure I can top Ben's post.
Stunning those are.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 03-11-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:15 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Mark! Ben always has a way with words.

Also, I dropped off one of those Babe Ruth paintings to the new owner, and this happened:

Color me flattered. Every now and again, I sign things for people, but this was the first time I'd ever done so on a ball. And I gotta say, doing so on that thing is HARD. People like Killebrew and Gehringer get my UTMOST respect for pulling off some amazing signatures on those spheres. Just wow.

Graig
Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Thanks a lot, Mark! Ben always has a way with words.

Also, I dropped off one of those Babe Ruth paintings to the new owner, and this happened:

Color me flattered. Every now and again, I sign things for people, but this was the first time I'd ever done so on a ball. And I gotta say, doing so on that thing is HARD. People like Killebrew and Gehringer get my UTMOST respect for pulling off some amazing signatures on those spheres. Just wow.

Graig
....Guilty.... Thanks Graig!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share a few more 5" x 7" color studies that came back from the photographers the other day.

Ty Cobb, 1910

Mickey Mantle, March, 1951

Mickey Mantle, April 14, 1951

Bryce Harper, September 23, 2014

These four are all spoken for, but I'm continuing to produce new ones (when time permits) and throw 'em on eBay. If any of y'all wanna keep an eye on what's available, you can either follow me as a seller (my name), or keep an eye on this page:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/graigkreindl...p2047675.l2562

Anywho, as per usual, any thoughts/comments/critiques are ALWAYS appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 04-27-2015 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Here's the most recent pick-up from the photographers:

Nolan Ryan, June 11, 1990, 40" x 32"

The scene is the last pitch thrown in Nolan Ryan's sixth no-hitter. Ya know, thrown when he was 43. No biggie. At that age, he became the oldest player to throw one, and the first to do so for three different teams.

It was a toughie to paint, as there are a lot of places the viewer's eyes need to go. I think it probably starts out on that scoreboard, being as bright and luminous as it is. From there though, I'm hoping it kinda goes down to Ryan on the mound, who is the sharpest figure on the field. I tried to keep Randolph, Russel and Denkinger pretty soft in their handling, as I didn't want them to pop out first, which is usually what can happen the focus is NOT on the batter.

Anywho, it was fun to paint, but definitely a challenge with what was mentioned above, as well as the mowing lines on the field and the filled crowd. There was just a LOT of visual information.

But yeah, I hope y'all enjoy it. If any of you have any questions, comments or critiques, as per usual, feel free to share!

Thanks for reading!

Graig

And PS: I've gotta give Scott Garner huge thanks and props for hooking me up with a nice scan of Denkinger's section of the original photo, as all of the versions of this particular image I found had both of his legs hidden by a horrendous stamp. Without him this finished product would not have been possible.

Last edited by GKreindler; 05-07-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:55 PM
Joe

That's a painting????...holy crap I thought it was the original photograph!! Amazing!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 06:18 PM

WOW!! C'mon Graig, that's flat out unreal!!
I couldn't believe that wasn't a photo at first.
You painted his 6th no-hitter perfectly, IMHO!

Nolan became the oldest to pitch a no-hitter in this game (at age 43) & also went the longest period of time between no-hitters pitched.
He bested his record the following year on May 1st, 1991 becoming the oldest pitcher to throw a no-hitter (# 7) at age 44, which is likely a record to never be broken
Old 05-07-2015, 07:12 PM
Bill Boyd

Graig,
That painting has so much going it is hard to believe it is a painting. That scoreboard is just unreal. Graig, how many perfect paintings is that for you???? Whomever requested that painting really has a conversation piece, that is for sure. That belongs in a museum.

Bill
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

I totally thought that was a reference photo of what you were painting next....

I had to look at it for a few min to realize that was the painting!

Whoa!

MIND-BLOWN.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:51 PM
Graig Kreindler

Wow, thanks so much for such kind words, everybody.

I think the painting appears pretty photographic as a result if the scoreboard, which I think shows evidence of the camera through that bright light. Granted, I would have probably painted it that way anyways, since it creates such a nice luminous effect. Personally, I think I was just super happy to be able to paint something that was so modern, as I feel like I'm lacking it in the portfolio (for the most part). If I can paint more fellas from the last 30 years, I think I'd be pretty rounded in that sense. The portfolio, not me. I'm already rounded.

Either way, I'll be delivering Nolan to the client personally on Wednesday, and hopefully she'll love it once it's in hand.

Graig
Old 05-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much for such kind words, everybody.

I think the painting appears pretty photographic as a result if the scoreboard, which I think shows evidence of the camera through that bright light. Granted, I would have probably painted it that way anyways, since it creates such a nice luminous effect. Personally, I think I was just super happy to be able to paint something that was so modern, as I feel like I'm lacking it in the portfolio (for the most part). If I can paint more fellas from the last 30 years, I think I'd be pretty rounded in that sense. The portfolio, not me. I'm already rounded.

Either way, I'll be delivering Nolan to the client personally on Wednesday, and hopefully she'll love it once it's in hand.

Graig

Hi Graig,
What are the dimensions of this painting, please?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Graig Kreindler

No, Scott!!

I mean, it's 40" x 32". Not a bad size indeed, though definitely a pain in the @$$ to carry on the subway!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 05-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
No, Scott!!

I mean, it's 40" x 32". Not a bad size indeed, though definitely a pain in the @$$ to carry on the subway!

Graig
Awesome!
Old 05-09-2015, 12:37 PM
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
That's a painting????...holy crap I thought it was the original photograph!! Amazing!!!

+1 Amazing Graig!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone.

Here's another scan I got back from the photographers:

Babe Ruth, October 6, 1915, 40" x 32"

It's one of the few commissions I've had from the board that I've been a bit lax on, so I'm trying to finish those up over the next few months, especially since some of you have been waiting rather long and patiently.

Anywho, the painting was a lot of fun, though also a big challenge. The photo it was created from has some really interesting features in it, many of which were actually physical defects in the negative (chemical stains, for the most part). Combine those with the areas that are pretty soft and out of focus anyways, and you have a recipe for some laaaattee nights. But in the end, I think that I was able to pull it off and make a nice painting. Ruth just REALLY pops from the background of the Polo Grounds, which was my main overall concern from the get-go. Well, that and a likeness, of course. And what also makes me happy is that the thing feels like a cold October afternoon. All of these things had much to do with a melange of grays that are in the image, be they from the facade of old ballpark, Babe's uniform, or even the sky - all of them had to be distinctly different and interesting.

It's an interesting thing to think about now, what-with the Sox being in town to play the rival Yankees on the last day of the season, and having the place so empty. In fact, only 774 people were at the Polo Grounds to see that doubleheader, one that was more of a World Series rehearsal than anything (Carrigan gave all of his big starters work in those two games). As a matter of fact, a LOT of the better-known images of Ruth from 1915 are from this actual game, whether they're of him warming up, standing with the other pitchers and posing for photographers (including Bain), or even standing in line with the entire team for a large panoramic photograph. Could you imagine seeing a sight like that now? I mean, Babe Ruth wasn't really Babe Ruth yet, but having Boston come to New York when they were scheduled to start the World Series less than 48 hours later and have less than a thousand people on hand? Obviously, that sort of thing was somewhat common in the game in those days, but man, it certainly has changed a LOT since then.

The painting's not completely color-corrected yet, but it's just about there. Hopefully y'all really dig, and hopefully my client feels the same way.

If you have any comments, critiques, or questions, I'd love to hear from ya!

As always, thanks for looking,

Graig
Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 PM
David McDonald

You keep outdoing yourself, kemosabe. Great image, gorgeous painting.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:38 PM
Graig Kreindler

Thank you so much, Kawika!!

Aloha nui loa.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default :)

Nice work half pint. Nice work.
I hope it fits over my fireplace

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 PM
Graig Kreindler

When I see you again, Ben, I'm gonna kick you in the nards.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all!

Hope everyone's starting to enjoy some nice weather. Thankfully, things in Brooklyn are starting to really come alive with the changing of the season.

While I've been working on catching up with some Net54 commissions, there have been some things I've been working on on the side. Here are a few that I got back from the photographers last week, most of which are 5" x 7" color studies.

George Wright, 1874

Fred Merkle, 1907

Mickey Mantle, 1950

Hank Aaron, 1956

Sandy Koufax, 1963

The majority of them were commissioned, but a few of them are still on my eBay page thingy.

And there's also this one:

Lou Gehrig, 1925, 9" x 12"

This is going to be pretty exciting, I think. The Gehrig is going to be included in an upcoming Love of the Game auction, and from what I understand will be on the catalog cover. Al will also have the painting on display at his booth in Chicago at the National, which will probably look pretty cool.

But yeah, I was really happy with how this one came out. I fell in love with the image when I did the color study for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, and since then have been jonesin' to make a full-sized one. That smile of his is just golden. And the dimples!!

Anywho, I hope you all dig these. And as per usual, if you have any questions, comments, problems, or anything of the like, feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks for reading.

Graig
Old 06-08-2015, 03:13 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

The new Gehrig is outstanding! Especially for being a smaller piece!
Old 06-09-2015, 08:16 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks so much, Erick!! I thought it came out pretty nice. Granted the photo is just an absolute winner, so the source material couldn't have been better. I hope it does well for Al's auction.

Graig
Old 06-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Chris Wassmuth

Damn, Graig. I've said it before but you get better with every one! That Gehrig is amazing! One of these days I WILL get a Campy from you. Looking forward to seeing it in Chicago.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 AM
Graig Kreindler

Thanks a lot, Chris!! Lord knows I'd love to tackle Campy one day.

In the meantime, here are two more I got back from my photographers today:

Rube Marquard, September 20, 1912, 24" x 20"

Mickey Mantle, May 4, 1951, 16" x 20"

I'd been meaning to get Rube photographed for a while, as I finished him last year. I had always really loved the image, as he just seemed super young and confident - a great subject for a painting if I ever saw one. It was really tough to get my hands on a nice quality version of the photograph, too. Being a Conlon, I'm pretty sure that the original negative still existed, but for whatever reason, John Rogers' company never made it available on their website. So I had to dig pretty deep. In the end, I'm pretty happy with how he came out.

The other image was also a lot of fun, but posed an interesting challenge. Once again, dealing with flash photography ain't terribly easy. In this case, the game (which was against the Browns in Mantle's first trip out west in '51) was a night affair, so the image itself was probably taken as the sun was starting to go down. The lights on the towers aren't even on, but with the flash bulb, the sky ends up appearing a lot darker than it actually is. Mantle himself pops pretty well, I think, but even that was tough, considering how washed out his face had to be. The majority of the color in there is cooler than it normally would be (as the flash itself is a cooler one), so I did my best to intermingle a lot of complementary hues to give it a shimmering quality. It doesn't really present itself that way in this particular photograph, but in real life, I think I got it. Maybe. Either way, his smile can't be denied.

Anywho, hope you guys dig it. If you have any questions, comments, or criticisms, please feel free to post away!

As per usual, thanks for reading.

Graig

PS: Now, onto the '27 Yankees!

Last edited by GKreindler; 06-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM

How is this even possible?
I stumbled into this section and into this thread by mistake.... these paintings are out of sight. I can't believe it.

I need to hire you to do a painting of a photo of my daughter! Do you do stuff like that?

Incredible work.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:59 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Josh,
Welcome to Kreindler's world. For too long the world has not known about the magic in his brushes. They are starting to get it. Welcome to those of us who stand in awe of his talent every time he posts something new. I hesitate sometimes to post when he puts up new stuff ad I think I've used every adjective in the book to describe how great his work is.

As usual buddy, just incredible.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Wow, it doesn't get much better than that!!

Quote:
Thanks a lot, Chris!! Lord knows I'd love to tackle Campy one day.

In the meantime, here are two more I got back from my photographers today:

Rube Marquard, September 20, 1912, 24" x 20"

Mickey Mantle, May 4, 1951, 16" x 20"

I'd been meaning to get Rube photographed for a while, as I finished him last year. I had always really loved the image, as he just seemed super young and confident - a great subject for a painting if I ever saw one. It was really tough to get my hands on a nice quality version of the photograph, too. Being a Conlon, I'm pretty sure that the original negative still existed, but for whatever reason, John Rogers' company never made it available on their website. So I had to dig pretty deep. In the end, I'm pretty happy with how he came out.

The other image was also a lot of fun, but posed an interesting challenge. Once again, dealing with flash photography ain't terribly easy. In this case, the game (which was against the Browns in Mantle's first trip out west in '51) was a night affair, so the image itself was probably taken as the sun was starting to go down. The lights on the towers aren't even on, but with the flash bulb, the sky ends up appearing a lot darker than it actually is. Mantle himself pops pretty well, I think, but even that was tough, considering how washed out his face had to be. The majority of the color in there is cooler than it normally would be (as the flash itself is a cooler one), so I did my best to intermingle a lot of complementary hues to give it a shimmering quality. It doesn't really present itself that way in this particular photograph, but in real life, I think I got it. Maybe. Either way, his smile can't be denied.

Anywho, hope you guys dig it. If you have any questions, comments, or criticisms, please feel free to post away!

As per usual, thanks for reading.

Graig

PS: Now, onto the '27 Yankees!

Last edited by Leon; 06-18-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey everyone,

I hope you're all well and recovering from the National this past week. I REALLY wish I could have made it in any capacity this year, but I had some other life business that needed to be attended to. All good stuff though, and perhaps the only thing that could have kept me from going. But that's neither here nor there.

I finally finished a large Ruth painting that's been sitting around for a while:

Babe Ruth, April 22, 1920, 46" x 46"

It was HELLA fun to work on, as the size really lent itself to me doing some fun stuff with the paint, creating textures and nuance that I can't usually get on smaller pieces. And, I think the pose is pretty iconic, too. Subject? Never heard of him. Dean was after me to finish it for his inventory, as it had been sitting in the studio at about 90% done for quite some time. And Dean continues to be on me about finishing commissions that are long overdue (especially for the Net54 folks), many of which I'm trying to catch up on.

My son got to see this one for the first time, and his only response was that I had my work cut out for me.

He's definitely right. But it's getting there. Or somewhere.

I also finished up these color studies, a couple of which made it to eBay and are still available:

Ty Cobb, 1910s

Babe Ruth, 1915

Joe Jackson, 1917

Lou Gehrig, 1924

Lou Gehrig, 1925

Joe DiMaggio, 1937

Enos Slaughter, 1938

Ted Williams, 1939

Harmon Killebrew, 1954

And finally, while in Chicago you may have seen it at Al's booth (Love of the Game) while checking out that incredible Gehrig gamer, but this guy is officially up for auction:

If you're interested, you can bid here:

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/_Th...G-LOT5747.aspx

Anywho, I hope y'all dig these badboys. Feel free to share any comments, concerns, questions, problems, or food.

As per usual, thanks so much for reading!!

Graig