NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Larry

Default 1947 Bond Bread "Exhibits"

Does anyone have any information on these, which apparently feature the same images as used on the regular size '47 Bond Bread cards, but in a near postcard size? How tough are they really to come by? Pop reports are very low, but that's just one indicator.

Adam had a very nice description of them on one of his cites, stating that they were likely made by Chicago-based Aarco Playing Cards, which then licensed the images to the Bond Bread Co. for its use. He did not, however, venture any opinion on how they were sold.

Any further info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, guys,

Larry
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Larry
Are these the ones you are speaking of? I don't have any info but if this is them they don't seem too rare? (at least as a type)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...eball&_sacat=0

Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Larry

Those are indeed the ones, Leon. I agree they are not rare if you're only seeking a type card, but the asking prices, low pop count (PSA has only graded 61 total out of 44 players listed in the 2007 Standard Catalog, or less than one and one-half of each player, and it has been grading postcard-sized cards for quite a few years now), the fact they were not listed at all in the 1995 Standard Catalog or another rather reliable and comprehensive guide I have from 1995, and lastly, that I had never even heard of them until I went trolling on ebay for PSA-graded Stan Musial cards the other day really made me wonder how scarce any given individual HOFer might be (you know I like rare and significant--the player creates the significance, even if the set is obscure!). As I indicated, Adam had stated online that they were produced by the Chicago-based Aarco Playing Cards company, who licensed the same images to the Bond Bread Company for their 1947 regular-sized issue. I am wondering if they were a relatively recently discovered issue, since they were seemingly unknown back in 1995 (I only have the '95 and '07 Standard Catalogs), and if perhaps they were an arcade issue limited solely to the Chicago area.

It also appears from your link that someone had completed or nearly completed an autographed set. I seem to recall that Bob Lemke had briefly addressed the issue of their legitimacy in a post several years ago, perhaps in connection with the debate regarding the clipped versus square corner cards in the regular '47 Bond Bread issue, including those in the '80's Festberg find (the latter, incidently, display a regular, rather than random dot pattern under the loop, indicating they were made with the original plates, though perhaps many years later).

I liked the graded Musial in the Bond Bread "Exhibits," the fact that it was one of his earliest issues, and already pulled the trigger on it, buying it Friday off ebay, despite the fact that unlike most sets I am familiar with, I really don't think I have a good handle on its true scarcity or lack thereof. Would really appreciate any imput from any board member with additional info.

Thanks for your time and response,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-18-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Larry,

Check out this link to FKW:

http://www.centuryoldcards.com/1940/1947HomBond.html

There is a little more info here.

Regards,

Eric
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think we'll ever get a definite answer to this other that they are not Exhibit products. There were so many types of issues made with the same artwork; the source was obviously non-exclusive.

I have a couple dozen boxers in 8 x 10 glossies with the same font and sharing images with some sets. Here is the Cerdan that is in the Hom. Bond set [the 'deceased' notation is handwritten]:

Here's Stan Musial's 'exhibit' sized card:

Bob Feller from a multisport picture pack [printed, around 7 x 9]:

And the Feller bread card [yes, I know it is signed but go try finding something Feller didn't sign]:

Marciano, from a smaller picture pack or similar issue:

Some sort of small, glossy stamp of George Kell:

The perforated two-sider that the shoe co might have given out:

I think the originating studio might have been National in NY; it was a huge commercial outfit in the sports world and issued the publicity photos for fighters that I have seen signed:

The images in the Hom. Bond set might even have been pirated. Here is the Primo Carnera Hom. Bond card:

The picture pack version:

That thing that looks like a hash tag is actually the signature of Charles Heath, a photographer here in L.A. who was well known for handling boxing and wrestling stuff. Carnera was a pro wrestler in the late 1940s-1950s out of a city in L.A. [Glendale].

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-20-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM
Larry

Many thanks, Adam and Eric, for your time and input. I've always liked Exhibit/postcard sized cards, and may well go beyond the Musial that just came today (great looking PSA 4.5 VG-EX+) with these!

Best to all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.