NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: john/z28jd

Recently I began reading up on players from my own birthplace,Kearny NJ. I already had a few cards of Dots Miller,but I also just recently added 2 more players who lived in Kearny,one of them being born there,Owen "Ownie" Carroll and the other one a graduate of the local high school,Sam Dente. Anyone else out there collect players from either their hometown and/or birthplace? I figured I'd include a scan of the Kearny Three.

Also a little footnote in Kearny High history. Ed Halicki who played 7 years in the majors in the 70's also attended Kearny High and its a little known fact,except in my house,that during his junior year he struck out my dad on 3 pitches during tryouts for the team.

[linked image]

Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Kenny

I mainly collect Zach Wheat due to his being born in my Hometown of Hamilton Missouri. [linked image]

Old 12-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Part of my collection is players from San Diego County in California. The two pre-WWIIers that immediately come to mind are Ted Williams, and Gavvy Cravath. I also include Chief Meyers, even though he grew up in Riverside County, just over the county line from San Diego.

Four major leaguers even came from my high school (Terry Forster, Joe Price, Jim Tatum and Hayden Penn).

Steve

Old 12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: raymond g.

Johannes Peter Wagner was born in Mansfield (now CARNEGIE) Penna. on Feb. 24, 1874. Carnegie being a suburb of Pittsburgh. Although I don't actual live in Carnegie, I consider Him a "Hometown Hero", also being from Pittsburgh. Located in Carnegie is a large portrait of Honus painted on one of the buildings. (I think its the t206 pose). I will take a photo and post it on the forum if there is interest. Its a magnificent painting! Here is my collected Hometown Hero:

[linked image]

Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: ticker1365

i collect covealeski stuff not only from my hometown but lived next door when i was a kid

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Brad Green

In addition to being cousins, Lefty Grove and I were both born and raised in the small town of Lonaconing, MD.

http://www.bandkgreen.net/lefty_grove

Bob Robertson, who played for the Pirates and Mariners, lived about 10 minutes away in Frostburg, MD.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=roberbo01

John Kruk, who played for the Padres and Phillies and is currently on ESPN, lived about 10 minutes away in Keyser, WV.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Several players from my Canadian town have made it to the major league level. The pre-war guys include:

Billy Mountjoy
Billy Reid
Steve Dunn
George "$10" Gibson
Frank Colman

I have had a lot of fun researching these fellows over the years. Very little is to be found on obscurities Reid and Dunn. I did discover the location of Dunn's old house, but it was torn down to make way for a department/hardware store prior to when I was born. sad.gif Was kind of hoping to discover a neglected attic full of trophy balls and signed documents!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Jon Canfield

I come from a tiny town in upstate, NY near Cooperstown. The town is called Fort Plain. We have three former players who came from/lived in Fort Plain... Bud Fowler (one of the first African Americans to play professional baseball in the 1880s), Myron "Moose" Grimshaw (from the T-206 set) and Bill Dahlen.

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 12-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Coe Biggers

When I was younger I lived in Russellville Ar, which is next to Lucas, Ar home to Dizzy and Jerome Dean. You used to be able to see there old homestead I have not been there in a very long time so I am not sure if it is still there. On another note my dads little league coach was George Kell of the Detroit Tigers.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Adam

My post is OT as it's not vintage, but nonetheless ---

I grew up with Brian Rose (in the town of Dartmouth, Massachusetts) and still come across him now and then when I am back home.

[linked image]

Old 12-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Anthony S.

I guess it helps when your home town is a city. Not my cards.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Rob D.

Not mine:

[linked image]

Old 12-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Brian Lindholme

"No one has ever come from my hometown"
Well of course, someone must have, including me...

Hometown: Rutland,Vermont.
Carlton Fisk is probably the closest name player, about 65 minutes, depends on what source you read.
Pat Putnam's (Tex Rangers) birthplace is a little closer in Bethel;

This is a great topic. I'd love to hear more. Any Net54ers in Woonsocket RI where Nap Lajoie was born ?, or Gettysburg for Eddie Plank?

Related to Brad's earlier post, I was putting away some 1969 topps into a binder and saw a duplicate of Bob Robertson's RC. Frostburg, MD native.
It's signed in green ink and could very well be a valid autograph. I am autograph-illiterate.
Brad, if you are interested, LMK and I will mail you the card. It'd be more appreciated near your turf I'm sure. Bob did smash 32 HR for Gastonia in 1965 and followed that up with 32 more for Asheville the next year.

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: jay wolt

" or Gettysburg for Eddie Plank? "

For the last 9 years I've lived within 10-15 miles of Gettysburg.

Was there when the PA historical society placed a plaque at Gettysburg

college where he pitched and where Connie Mack signed him.

Also in town there is a plaque by a building where he had his car dealership.

He is buried at Evergreen Cemetary in 1926 (which saw some fighting w/ Hancocks men)

across from the Soldiers cemetary.

Here is a recent pickup, the original art work made for the Helmar Brewery card series.

[linked image]

Old 12-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Thanks Jay...that's what I'm talking about!

I've always been interested in the history and the personal aspect of baseball. Baseball players don't have to be HOFers to be famous!!

This thread about Hometown Heroes covers both for me...

The back of Eddie Collins CJ card mentions him playing in Rutland Vermont 1906. Naturally, I had to have that card right away!

Thanks!

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Old 12-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: john/z28jd

Hey Brian,Don't know if you know this or not but James "Sun" Daly,who is in the Old Judge set,was actually born in Rutland Vt.

[linked image]

Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

And Harry Hulihan was born, died and interred in Rutland!

Old 12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Gulp !!
Yikes, I did not know that.
Okay ...so... that's okay,really, I'll take a breath, do a little WIKI search on Mr. Daly and post on BST as needing this card. I'll be alright, even if my wallet won't be.

Um, thanks John/z28jd!!

Brian L
familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Old 12-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Dave

As a native Vermonter that has been living in NYC for the last 15 years I agree with you there are very few players from VT.

One guy you could consider is Ray Fisher who grew up in Middlebury. The back of his CJ even attests to him being a die-hard Vermonter.

And of the last 30 years there was a pitcher by the name of Len Whitehouse out of Burlington. I have a signed '84 Topps by him.

And there have been a few great Minor Leaguers that came though there. Paul O'Neil and Chris Sabo played for the Vt Reds. I met a young Ken Griffey Jr when he played for the VT Mariners and got a mini-bat signed from him. So there are baseball roots in Vt!

Edited to add: Jean Dubuc was born in St Johnsbury and played for St. Michael's, He would be another Vt guy... and had quite the history..

Old 12-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

From 1945 - 1960, Phil Rizzuto was my nearby neighbor....only 2 blocks away in Hillside, NJ.
He was a fabulous guy to have as neighbor. He did a lot for us youngsters and was a great
role model....he was everyone's hero. Especially, when he won the AL MVP in 1950.

My biggest thrill with Phil was in April 1984 when he and I were on the same flight to Chicago.
We enjoyed 2 hours in 1st class....reminiscing about our old neighborhood and "talkin baseball".
Actually, he did most of the talking and I did most of the listening.

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Rich Klein

From Saddle Brook; NJ.

The Baseball player was Joe Cunningham who had a nice career in the 50's and 60's and the FB player is Ralph Giacomarro who had a bried NFL career as a punter in the 1980's

My birthplace is Hackensack; NJ and i never researched that as much -- but I remember Eric Karros was born there

Regards
Rich

Old 12-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Donavon Arabie

From my home town, only one pre-war guy....the rest are modern:

PRE-WAR:

Dave Davenport

MODERN:

Warren Morris
Greg Smith
Russ Springer

Now...these guys all came from a small driving distance:

Mel Ott
Bill Dickey
Zeke Bonura
Vida Blue
Ron Guidry
Albert Belle
Ben Sheets
Lee Smith
Vernon Wells

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 AM
Administrator

Default Hometown Heroes

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Sidd Farrar from Paris Hill, Maine

From adjoining towns: W.E. Mains, J.R. Mains and of course Bill Carrigan.

Rawn