NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2002, 02:41 AM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: David 

I hestitate on bringing this up, but think it's wisest that I do. A well known dealer is offering items of a photograhic nature that I am confident are altered. I am conficant for a variety of reasons, but mostly because some of the stamping/production marking combinations on the photographs are not possible.

I'm not going to name names for a variety of reasons, including most people on this board don't collect the type of photographs and that I have already written explicitly about these types markings and related issues. However, if anyone is in the market for an expensive 20th century photograph, they can contact me personally. Thanks

Old 09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

After thinking some more, it is my recomendation that, until he or his consignors mend their ways or are more accurate in their auction descriptions, people should think twice about bidding on Henry Yee's photographs. Naturally, this is only my humble opinion and no doubt the high winning prices will attest to the fact many will dismiss or ignore it .... Lastly, I will accept as insincere any surprised exclamation by Yee that he doesn't know what I'm talking about, and suggest that he should have bought a copy of 'News Service Photographs' before he started his auctions, not after.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Tom

all know Henry's engaged in some questionable consignment practices at best and out and out fraud at worst. Hopefully the former, not the latter.

Old 09-11-2002, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Tom

He's always answered questions up front and cancelled auctions on a couple of things..........guess just another situation like that.

Old 09-11-2002, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Paul

How about those oversized Illustrated Current News items that Henry Yee is selling? Are they legit? Here's an example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1857897177&rd=1

Old 09-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Old 09-12-2002, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Dave J

I brought several of these from Henry in the past Sports and non-sports. They are authentic and were in beautiful condition. I did had one problem, one of them was badly bent by the post office and he refunded my money and my postasge with no problems so I can vouch for his service.

I am an active colletor of these large broadsides. They were issued by several news agencies like Illustrated Current News, Picturegram and are hard to find nice. There was a find of these in CT and apparently Henry brought the colection. If anyone come across these or any that depict Boston Red Sox players, I appreciate if you can contact me.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Jay Miller

I have bid on a Willie Keeler photo that Henry has listed on ebay. The item number is 1858264878. I would appreciate your view as to whether the item is legitimate.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

In the the future, I would rather not address single photographs here-- but can be contacted at the above email. I gave an opinion earlier, but don't wish to be combing through an ongoing auction.

The Keeler is a vintage 1930s George Burke Photograph with an early (earlier) image of Keeler. In other words, the image is later generation, but it is still a fine photograph and should be worth a few bucks. Many of Burke's photos had the factory rounded edges as with this one. I have a good memory for these types of things, I know where this photograph originally came. The person who originally owned it is well known and works for a prominant auction house, and he misreprsented it when he first sold it (accidentally is my guess)-- the current description is probably more accurate.

For future reference, Burke photographs from this period are easy to identify as lefitimate. The paper will nearly always be round-edged with smooth semi-gloss surface, or sharp edged but the surface has a matte, almost light burlap texture. His typical sizes are 8X10 (either type of paper) or postcard sized (straight edged, matte paper). Also, he would almost always put his stamp (Geo. Burke with 807 Belmont, Chicago address) on the back and type name (player, team) and cataloging info on the top border.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

I also want to note that, while I give too-detailed answers if asked (in other words, don't ask), I'm not a nit-picker when it comes to others' photographs. I'm well aware that it's an esoteric area where judgement and vagueness is involved (I often could describe a photo more accurately than 'probably 1930s-40s'), and technical errors are often just technicalities no one will care about other than me. While it's different with high end photographs, with most inexpensive news service photographs technical and even minor dating errors will have little to no effect on the value (pehaps marking a $7 photo down to $6). Many collectors are just looking for a nice vintage or at least official photograph of their favorite person to hang on their wall, and I've often bought later generation images because I thought it looked nice and the price seemed right.

Old 09-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Julie Vognar

comes from the Baseball Hall of Fame, $25. He's standing a step down on the dugout steps, nest to half a Cicotte (another photo shows the whole Cicotte), looking shy, small, and smiling a little. They didn't have the negative ("Nobody ever asked us for a photo of lefty Williams before"), so they had to make a new negative; also, there was a scratch over one eye on the xerox they sent. the photo they sent me was SO great, and the scratch had been taken care of somehow. I have a Conlon photo, with two of his stamps on the back, that I don't like nearly as well.

Old 09-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Default Altered States

Posted By: Dan

I seem to see alot of bidders on Henry's stuff that I do not see ever on any other vintage baseball stuff. I have written a few of these bidders and rarely get a reply. I know Henry gets good prices for his stuff. I also seem to see the same stuff auctioned over and over again. I wrote Henry once about this and he very nicely replied that he had several non-paying bidders that time. My 2 cents.