NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Jeff P

Default Global set registry?

Hi all,

As a set collector, I think the set registry idea is pretty cool as it's fun to check out other people's cards and also see how your set stacks up against others out there. The problem is these registries only include cards that are graded by the grading company sponsoring the registry. For the most part, my sets are a combination of raw, PSA, SGC, sometimes BVG cards so unless I go through the trouble and expense of have a bunch of these cards graded or re-graded, these registry's aren't something I can use for my cards.

I was wondering whether anyone was aware of a global set registry that would allow you to enter your cards and rank your set against others irrespective of grading company or grade. There'd have to be some sort of simple scoring, just like is being done in the "Monster Number" thread in this forum, that would make it easy to track.

Would you put your cards in such a registry if it existed? Would you be more inclined to use it if it was used to maintain things like the Monster Number Top 30 list for forum participants?

jeff
Old 01-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Mi.ke Masi.nick

SGC does not have an online cert verification so there is really no way to correctly verify cards.

The PSA registry is great because they don't let two people hold the same cert number in their registry at once.

We've thought about it, but until SGC puts their cert verification online (which really should have been done years ago) we can't do much. People don't like entering all of that information manually.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:10 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Default Either does SGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardTarget View Post
The PSA registry is great because they don't let two people hold the same cert number in their registry at once.
SGC's registry doesn't allow this either. I just had an instance where I tried to add a card I purchased that was still listed in someone else's registry.

Last edited by t206hound; 01-20-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 AM
P.hil €lli$

I think such a registry would have to take into consideration the grade of the card. I think it is pretty easy to put the T206 set (520) together in a poor graded, raw set.

But, to put the set together in PSA6 or SGC70 or something like that is very difficult and very expensive.

So, the problem with such a registry that you are talking about is how to "grade" the raw cards. I might call a card NrMt, but it could really be trimmed. So "grading" the raw cards is where there would be trouble and where there's competition in such a registry would open some people up to over-grading their raw cards.

To simply have a registry where a beater, raw T206 gets the same amount of "credit" as a PSA7 card would not be of any benefit, in my opinion.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
Jeff P

My first inclination would be to treat *all* raw cards the same, regardless of grade and give a premium for graded cards by grade. If you want a higher score, get your nice raw cards graded and you'll get more credit for them.

No system would ever be perfect.

jeff
Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardTarget View Post
SGC does not have an online cert verification so there is really no way to correctly verify cards.

We've thought about it, but until SGC puts their cert verification online (which really should have been done years ago) we can't do much. People don't like entering all of that information manually.
I don't understand this. The owner of a PSA card types in the cert number and the PSA Registry identifies the card. The SGC Registry does the exact same thing. In both cases the same card can't be registered to two users. There's no difference.

Cheers,
Blair
Old 01-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Brian T.

A global registry would be a trainwreck waiting to happen - if it existed.

For every well-meaning person with legitimate cards graded by a mix of PSA and SGC (let's say), there will be someone who puts their "mint" set graded by PRO or the likes.

Then you get into the argument of who's graded cards get let in. Do you let BVG in? Do you let Global in? How about KSA or ISA? ... and why not raw? We would all have our own bars by which to judge, but for example, many would suggest that older GAI slabs rarely cross with an equal grade to PSA or BGS or SGC. So, how do you weight the grades? All 9s from GAI might equal all 8s from PSA, yet the registry wouldn't reflect that.

My point is this... registries inherantly mean ranking of who's set is nicer. A mixed bag registry would throw that way off - since there is no baseline. If there is no reasonable ranking, then registries just are glorified checklists and galleries. Image Gallery or Photobuck or any of a multitude of other sites are just fine for that.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think CardTarget is confused because SGC does not have a cert verification link like PSA where you can instantly check the authenticity and grade of that cert #. However, SGC has this also, but it's called their registry. Basically, if you want to check a cert, you need to create a set registry for that card, and then enter it. When the cert is entered into the registry, it will check if it's a valid cert or not. So, back to the point of this thread, SGC's registry works just like PSA's. Both of them work just fine. Beckett actually has a registry also, but for the last few months, they've posted the message:

"As part of the Beckett.com re-launch, please be aware that the Beckett Grading website and Registry are still in the renovation process. We advise collectors to hold off on attempting to register cards until those sites are live. Thank you for your patience, and we hope you will enjoy the new Registry and Grading site."

This re-launch has been going on for eons ...
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
A global registry would be a trainwreck waiting to happen - if it existed.

For every well-meaning person with legitimate cards graded by a mix of PSA and SGC (let's say), there will be someone who puts their "mint" set graded by PRO or the likes.

Then you get into the argument of who's graded cards get let in. Do you let BVG in? Do you let Global in? How about KSA or ISA? ... and why not raw? We would all have our own bars by which to judge, but for example, many would suggest that older GAI slabs rarely cross with an equal grade to PSA or BGS or SGC. So, how do you weight the grades? All 9s from GAI might equal all 8s from PSA, yet the registry wouldn't reflect that.

My point is this... registries inherantly mean ranking of who's set is nicer. A mixed bag registry would throw that way off - since there is no baseline. If there is no reasonable ranking, then registries just are glorified checklists and galleries. Image Gallery or Photobuck or any of a multitude of other sites are just fine for that.
+1...my exact thoughts on the whole idea.

Cheers,
Blair