NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Default Terry Turner Photo Question

Posted By: Joe Jones

I BIN'ed this photo and the two cards of Terry Turner on ebay this summer. The seller claimed they came from his family. Is there a company or person who can authenticate the photo and possibly its history? The writing on the back says Terrence L. Turner at 8 months old. His name matches up with the L (Lamont) for his middle name. Also he was born in Sandy Lake PA. which is also on the front of the photo.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

My unscientific opinion is that it looks like him. Las Vegas has those security companies that use computer programs to match faces.

I saw a t.v. program where a lady who claimed her late-husband was D.B. Cooper brought a photo of him to Vegas and the security people matched it up with an eyewitness sketch.

edited to add- Her husband had told her that he was 'Dan Cooper' on his deathbed. She didn't know what he was talking about until after his passing and she was hoping to disprove that he was the culprit.. If Vegas confirms it, it's real. Regards

Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'd say that it's him....not for sure if you can find someone who will authenticate it though, but the facial features and ears along with the location matching up pretty much seal the deal.

Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The photo is a carte de visite, aka CDV, which was a smaller version of the cabinet card. The image looks like him and it was was shot in his home town. Sandy Lake PA is a small town (current pop: 743). I would assume the writing on back came from a close relative. Who but a close relative, like his mom or dad or grandmother, would know Terry is 8 monthes in the photo? All this is strong evidence that it's a genuine baby photo of baseballer Terry Turner. You lucked out that Sandy Lake is so small, where he may be the only Terry L. Turner in the city's history. If he was born in Cleveland or Baltimore, identification would be tougher.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the help guys! I wish I would have saved the auction info so I can ask the seller a few more questions. Is there a way to find an old auction that is six months old? It does not show up in my won items on my ebay page anymore. The seller said the cards were Turners himself.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Administrator

If you paid via PayPal, you can go back for more than 6 monthes.

A baby photo like this would be made for the baby's family. If it's Terry (and I've seen no reason to beleive it isn't), the photo would have belonged to Terry's family. And if it belonged to Terry's family (and it appears likely it did), it's plausable that it later belonged to Terry. Family photos are usually passed onto the kids.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

If the seller gave you feedback you may be able to track him/her down that way.

Old 12-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe brennan

His right ear didn't change much in 20 some years. I'd have to say it's almost a dead ringer.

In Rememberance of James W. Brennan Sr. 1924-1982. Dad, thanks for everything you did for me.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Administrator

I paid through paypal! I went and checked it this morning and found the auction. Thanks again! I will have to do more research now.

Old 12-23-2006, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: anthony

you might be able to get it authenticated by the correct amount of hair alone.

great find!

Old 12-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Just thought I would show the back of the CDV.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Joe, that appears to be old time writing and ink on back. I don't think you need much more
research on this. It appears you have Terry Turner's family baby photo. I've seen no reason
to beleive that it is anything but.

It's the only 1800s baby photo of a future Major Leaguer I recall seeing.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I've seen 1800's baby photos of Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Joe, if you get a Turner signed cut or 3x5 card, which shouldn't be too expensive,
you could make a one-of-a-kind T206 player framed/matted display piece.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Administrator

That is a great idea. I should do something nice to hang in my office! I just wrote the seller of the items, so I will post what they say about where they came from. At this point I am confident that they are legit. Thanks again for all of the helpful comments.