NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Default Annoucement of a new Auction Company

Posted By: Rob D.

Will your company be auctioning any of the important "ultra high grade pre-War baseball cards"?

We hear there's good money in those.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

We will have essentially the same bidder base as any other auction. We have access to a very large bidder list for mass emailing of the auctions. Coupled with the various ads that will also be ran prior to the auction I doubt any serious collector will not be aware of the auctions. I imagine when the lots are all hammered in the first auction that the participants will be nearly identical to any other auction.

There will be no catalogue sent out. This is essentially an internet auction. There will be a printable catalogue available online. The main reason for this is cost. As noted in a thread a few weeks ago most collectors would rather have a lower buyers premium and no catalogue.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I would suggest not angling this as an ebay alternative - the fact that you are validating the items and the bidders means you are in the "major auction house" space; not to mention the 12.5-17.5% of fees is 2-3 times the ebay/Paypal fees.

Will there be any printed advertising? Will there be any way to post an absentee bid via fax/phone? I find it difficult to swallow that your bidder base will be the same as other major auction houses since I imagine there are a chunk of collector's who don't have internet comfort.

I don't mind if it's only 85% of the bidder base, but I'm not sure about the claim that it will be the same as companies who provide those things.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

Just received this email:

"Thank you. You have completed your registration at
Brockelman & Luckey Auctions.

Please note, even though your registration is complete,
you will not be able to bid until we approve your
registration. Notification of your credit approval
will be made by email in as timely a manner as possible.
Feel free to contact us if it takes longer than 72 hours."

What does credit approval mean?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

No catalogues being mailed out? So what you're saying is that my catalogue has been "lost" in the mail before I've even criticized your venture?

Will you promise not to use a spoon anywhere near the cards (except when eating ice cream)?

Will you promise that no animals have been harmed in this venture?

Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

That is a computer generated response. Essentially there is no "credit approval" it just allows us to review bidders and potentially avoid any problems.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Good luck with this guys. i am looking forward to your first auction.
JimB
P.S. My only advice would be to make an auction catalog. If it is only 50-100 lots, then it is probably not necessary, but when it gets big, searching online becomes a drag and things get missed.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Administrator

We see this as a very viable alternative to collector that would like to sell some cards but does not want to use ebay for any number of reasons. If you were to list and item on ebay, pay the final value fees and accept paypal you will have paid them nearly 10% of your sales price, and this does not include packing it and shipping it. SOme folks just don't want to sell on ebay and need another option.

By using our auction you pay no consigment fee if the item sells for over $500 and only 5% if it sells under $500. Granted there is a 12 1/2% buyer premium to be figured in, however I think you see that our venue and concept will make each item realize more than the buyers premium difference and the seller has done nothing but send the itme to us and we do the rest.

Scott

Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

UhOh, then I'm in trouble.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

All the best, guys!