NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-23-2015, 07:28 PM
James B. Jeff.ares

Default I you are considering consignment with Probstein123, read this first

Sorry I am not very active and don’t post very much on this forum but I feel this needs to be shared in hopes that others will not be taken advantage of as I have been. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and have given Rick Probstein multiple chances to fix the situation but to be honest with you he has pretty much ignored me. Here is the situation…

Over the last few months I have consigned over $3,000 worth of auctions with Probstein123. For the most part all my transactions have went smoothly. Last month one of my lots had finished and I received my payment a few weeks later. The spreadsheet below is what Probstein123 had sent to me.

Fast forward this month I had sent probstein123 another lot of cards. As usual everything finished up and I was sent a spreadsheet of the cards with he had auctioned off for me. The only difference is on this sheet it contains a card that I had previously sold. To my surprise this time it actually sold for $51.50 more dollars than it did previously (First auction here), Second auction here). The spreadsheet sent to me is below.

Now here is where I have a problem. The math does not add up. As you can see from my current lot after fee’s I net gain of $696.73. with the added $45.32 (after his fees) for the resale I should be receiving $742.05 combined total. But somehow I am only receiving $654.38. Rick Probstein resold my card for a higher profit, pocketed the difference then charged me an additional $42.35 for unknown reasons.

Once I noticed the error I emailed Rick Probstein (I may or may not be talking with him IDK, honestly that does not matter) pointing out the error and asking for an explanation. I received a reply (within about 2 hours) telling me yes it is my error “its in the accounting , yes”. So I went back and triple checked everything over again and I do not see it. Probstein123 has a huge “accounting” error in their favor. Again I emailed them to please re-look this over because the math does not add up. The only thing I received back was another spreadsheet charging me money than previously stated. Rick Probstein sold my cards for a $51.50 additional profit ($45.32 should have been my take) then charged me an additional $42.35 to re-sell my card shorting me $87.67 in total.

Given what I have presented to you and if I am in error please explain to me how I am wrong. If you see where I have been short changed and the lack of customer service I have received from Probstein123, please reconsider doing business with this them. There are other alternatives out there like PWCC and I am sure there are others on this board who probably can help you as well. If you have sold items through Probstein123 you may want to double check their “accounting” methods I am sure I might not be the only one who is being shorted.

**based on previous feeback on other forums I need you to understand that I had no idea this card was being re-listed or as to why. Before the shrilling accusations come in look at my invoice and tell me why I would let cards card at a lesser price than it cost to grade not to mention his fees. Also I have nothing against Rick Probstein.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Scott Ti3k

Not a Probstein fan myself, but in the interest of fairness I believe you were exposed as shilling your own listing over on the PSA board.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=944130

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited by cardsfan73; 05-23-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:44 AM
Chris

Per forum rules, you must post your full name if you are going to say stuff like this about another person or business.

Last edited by Bestdj777; 05-24-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:15 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan73 View Post
Not a Probstein fan myself, but in the interest of fairness I believe you were exposed as shilling your own listing over on the PSA board.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=944130

Thanks,
Scott
I thought being able to shill your consignments was why you went with Probstein. Well that or he could sell your baseball player Bill Russell auto as basketball HOFer Bill Russell. Heck he will even list your opened vintage pack of smokes as being never opened and containing a T206 card.

Sorry couldn't resist Probstein runs such a high quality operation.LOL
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 AM

Shilling or not the issue is this person claims that Probstein underpaid them.

Probstein was just fine.

175*.88=154-108.68=$45.32 (what you were paid).

You are wrong.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
Per forum rules, you must post your full name if you are going to say stuff like this about another person or business.
That is handled.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM
Al Richter

Default analogy

Is this an example of suicide by bulletin board ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 05-24-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Is this an example of suicide by bulletin board ?
No, just the appalling state of mathematics education in the USA today.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
No, just the appalling state of mathematics education in the USA today.
No, It depends on which State,and if the parents spend time with the their kids

State Rankings for Math and Science Education

RANK STATE SERI
Well Above Average 1 Massachusetts 4.82
2 Minnesota 4.06
3 New Jersey 4.04
4 New Hampshire 4.01
5 New York 3.94

Last edited by rgpete; 05-24-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Michael Br0wne

Wow. So someone takes the time to put a businessman on blast, and trash him in public....but doesn't take the time to:

1. Check math before mouthing off.
2. Delete the original post.

And also shilled his own card?

Hysterical. #comeuppance.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:55 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-24-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_b View Post
Sorry I am not very active and don’t post very much on this forum but I feel this needs to be shared in hopes that others will not be taken advantage of as I have been. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and have given Rick Probstein multiple chances to fix the situation but to be honest with you he has pretty much ignored me. Here is the situation…

Over the last few months I have consigned over $3,000 worth of auctions with Probstein123. For the most part all my transactions have went smoothly. Last month one of my lots had finished and I received my payment a few weeks later. The spreadsheet below is what Probstein123 had sent to me.

Fast forward this month I had sent probstein123 another lot of cards. As usual everything finished up and I was sent a spreadsheet of the cards with he had auctioned off for me. The only difference is on this sheet it contains a card that I had previously sold. To my surprise this time it actually sold for $51.50 more dollars than it did previously (First auction here), Second auction here). The spreadsheet sent to me is below.

Now here is where I have a problem. The math does not add up. As you can see from my current lot after fee’s I net gain of $696.73. with the added $45.32 (after his fees) for the resale I should be receiving $742.05 combined total. But somehow I am only receiving $654.38. Rick Probstein resold my card for a higher profit, pocketed the difference then charged me an additional $42.35 for unknown reasons.

Once I noticed the error I emailed Rick Probstein (I may or may not be talking with him IDK, honestly that does not matter) pointing out the error and asking for an explanation. I received a reply (within about 2 hours) telling me yes it is my error “its in the accounting , yes”. So I went back and triple checked everything over again and I do not see it. Probstein123 has a huge “accounting” error in their favor. Again I emailed them to please re-look this over because the math does not add up. The only thing I received back was another spreadsheet charging me money than previously stated. Rick Probstein sold my cards for a $51.50 additional profit ($45.32 should have been my take) then charged me an additional $42.35 to re-sell my card shorting me $87.67 in total.

Given what I have presented to you and if I am in error please explain to me how I am wrong. If you see where I have been short changed and the lack of customer service I have received from Probstein123, please reconsider doing business with this them. There are other alternatives out there like PWCC and I am sure there are others on this board who probably can help you as well. If you have sold items through Probstein123 you may want to double check their “accounting” methods I am sure I might not be the only one who is being shorted.

**based on previous feeback on other forums I need you to understand that I had no idea this card was being re-listed or as to why. Before the shrilling accusations come in look at my invoice and tell me why I would let cards card at a lesser price than it cost to grade not to mention his fees. Also I have nothing against Rick Probstein.

I wonder if I am in the minority in only reading the comments, and not all of this, and still getting to the same conclusion?

Last edited by Leon; 05-24-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Michael

Not to defend the OP, if in fact he did shill his own auction, but he has a point about the "invoice."

According to the 2nd spreadsheet, Probstein owed him $696.73 for the 11 items in the 2nd grouping. The relisted card sold for $51.50 more than it did the first time, resulting in a net to the OP of $45.32. This means Probstein owed the seller $696.73 + $45.32 = $742.05. Instead, Probstein shows a net final of $654.38 which means he did not add the $45.32 to the due amount, but instead subtracted $42.35 from the due amount. So essentially, the OP was short-changed $87.67.

For those of you who say Probstein was just fine, please explain why it is fine to not pay the OP the $45.32 he is due for the relisted card and in addition, subtract $42.35 from what he is owed from the 11 cards sold in the 2nd grouping.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Michael

In regards to the accusations of shilling, I have to confess ignorance. Here is the bid history of the winner of the first auction:

Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder: t***l ( 406Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Item description: 2001 Team Topps Legends 1958 RC Retro Jim Brown Browns BGS Authentic w/ 10 AUTO
Bids on this item: 2

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 22
Items bid on: 16
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

30-Day Bid History
Category No. of Bids Seller Help Last Bid Help

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 1 5d 23h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 2 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 3 2d 8h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 4 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 5 2d 6h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 6 2d 14h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 7 2d 21h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 8 6d 3h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 9 2d 11h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 10 5d 12h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 11 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 3 Seller 12 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 13 5d 22h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 14 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 15 1d 23h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 11 1d 1h

How does one determine the OP shilled this auction and actually ended up winning it from the information above?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMike View Post
In regards to the accusations of shilling, I have to confess ignorance. Here is the bid history of the winner of the first auction:

Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder: t***l ( 406Feedback score is 100 to 499)
Item description: 2001 Team Topps Legends 1958 RC Retro Jim Brown Browns BGS Authentic w/ 10 AUTO
Bids on this item: 2

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 22
Items bid on: 16
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 0% Help
Bid retractions: 0
Bid retractions (6 months): 0

30-Day Bid History
Category No. of Bids Seller Help Last Bid Help

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 1 5d 23h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 2 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 3 2d 8h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 4 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 5 2d 6h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 6 2d 14h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 7 2d 21h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 8 6d 3h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 9 2d 11h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 10 5d 12h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 11 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 3 Seller 12 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 13 5d 22h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 2 Seller 14 <1h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 15 1d 23h
Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Football 1 Seller 11 1d 1h

How does one determine the OP shilled this auction and actually ended up winning it from the information above?
i think you posted the 1st account used on the 1st sale...

this is the 2nd one:

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 99
Items bid on: 88
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 70%

personally i think this is great and they deserve each other. how does probstein not have knowledge of the shill process here? i, have personally stopped bidding on his auctions these days and have now noticed a lot of cards undergoing a new selling system:

1. card gets listed at outrageous buy it now price w/ best offer option. all @ $5K for $100-$300 cards. this under the guise of "saving time w/ listings".
2. the card then gets auctioned/shilled for just above what solid offers were made for said card in step 1 above.
3. card then pops up for buy it now at just below shilled price in step 2.

this happened to me on several cards from a 73 set break and a couple dock ellis cards...

my name is Bob Evans and have no problem telling this in face and in person to rick.

Last edited by begsu1013; 05-24-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:59 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
i think you posted the 1st account used on the 1st sale...
I think he meant to post the bid history from the 1st auction...that's the one accused of shilling. I agree with Mike, I don't see shilling either. If someone else does, please point it out. It appears that some CU member mentioned shilling and, as typical, other CU members piled on.

As far as the OP goes, sorry but there is enough information out there about Probstein that you should have known better. You play with snakes...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:27 PM
James B. Jeff.ares

I appreciate the feedback and have read all the replies.

For the record again, I did not bid on this item either time. I had no idea it was relisted until he sent me this months invoice. No matter what I say people will claim shilling, but thats simply not that case. If it happened, it happened on his end. Honestly at this point I wish he would had not put it on my invoice at all and just pocketed the money without me knowing versus taking the money and then chagrining me.

As far as the math goes Probstein123 should be adding the additional $45.32 to my sellers invoice not taking it out of my invoice.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Todd Schultz

Looks like some of our Jethroes here need some practice with their cipherin. Math isn't all gazintas

Also, no shilling seen here.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 05-24-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

rick or his employees using their own accounts to bid up prices could certainly be plausible...
Old 05-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Todd Schultz

Where is there evidence of shilling by anyone?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:08 PM
m!ke kn@z@v!c

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_b View Post
I appreciate the feedback and have read all the replies.

For the record again, I did not bid on this item either time. I had no idea it was relisted until he sent me this months invoice. No matter what I say people will claim shilling, but thats simply not that case. If it happened, it happened on his end. Honestly at this point I wish he would had not put it on my invoice at all and just pocketed the money without me knowing versus taking the money and then chagrining me.

As far as the math goes Probstein123 should be adding the additional $45.32 to my sellers invoice not taking it out of my invoice.
Looks like the OP is square on in his concerns. From the latest post, I can't see how that can be disputed.

MK
Old 05-24-2015, 11:26 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan View Post
Looks like the OP is square on in his concerns. From the latest post, I can't see how that can be disputed.

MK
At least you get a consignment check within 2 months or one at all..i still waiting for one from Mile High from a March auction