NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Default What gives? Is this '22 Exhibit all that special?

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I was debating whether to put in a sure-fire, highly-doubt-anybody-else-would-pay-this-opening-bid-of-$115 for this Charlie Hollocher card:

http://tinyurl.com/yt26h8

It went for more than a better graded example of Walter Johnson from the same set. Is this card short-printed or something? Was I just whale watching?

Old 04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Wow, thats the craziest price Ive seen in a while. 10X too high.

Might have been a relative or someone that just had to have it at any cost. But there needs to be 2 bidders to reach that level. You got me?????

Eastern Exhibits are tougher overall than the other Exhibits from the early 20's, but not like that.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

I wonder if it's the same guy that recently paid over $100 for the common version of the Ewell Blackwell exhibit, which is a $5-$10 card, even in nice shape. The buyer is clearly someone with more money (and less sense) than time ...

Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Chris- as Frank pointed out - it would take 2 to get the price this high; my guess is that these are just PSA registry crazies and this is the first time that card has come up in a while.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

o***a( 710)

idontbelievewhatijustsaw( 710)

Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

he should change his ebay handle to idontbelievewhatijustpaid (710)

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cashews

must be two nutjobs needing to complete a set. that card is probably insanely rare in graded form due to the probable low value most collectors would attribute to it and thereby not having it graded. otherwise i can't explain it but next time i see one i'm buying it.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Well, he didn't win -- he was the underbidder. Poor winner must be sad about this one.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt Joy

idontbelievewhatijustsaw( 710) = Don Louchios

Spence has been buying then too.

They have been paying some crazy prices for many exhibits, I have been staying away from almost all graded exhibits till they finish their feeding (they buy both psa and sgc), I will stick to raw for a while. I have sold a couple ) If you have a highest graded now is the time to sell.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

We should know pretty soon whether this is a rare item. I'd expect a few to show up on ebay in the near future if there are many to be had.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

It's a shame Dan McKee doesn't collect exhibits.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I've bumped into that winning bidder (jbcofc) on a couple of auctions, mostly on the non-sports side. I learned, quickly, that he sets his snipes VERY high, so if he bumps into someone else who wants the same card... BINGO! (for the seller). I'm almost complete on a master set (three colors) of U.S. Caramel Presidents. One weekend a seller listed about 20 different cards, all closing within about an hour. I set ridiculous snipes on the three I needed and he almost maxed them all out. Not big money, but as much as 2x-3x what you'd expect the cards to go for. He won the other 17, easily beating by regular price snipes. Similar action on a couple of other auctions.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

i'm always confused over why people set such high max bids when they don't intend to pay that price or really want to pay that price.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Check the comments

http://imageevent.com/exhibitman/interestingexhibitcards

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 04-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

When I set a high snipe it is ALWAYS a price I am willing to pay, and not a penny more. I may not be happy about it, but if I really want a card, so be it.

I don't know of anyone who sets a snipe price and doesn't intend to pay. I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

i meant if someone wants to pay 400 for a card but bids 900 because they think if someone runs it up to 400 and sees a high bidder still they'll be scared away from over paying. but then if someone runs it all the way to 900 the person has to pay an outlandish amount just because someone had the same line of thinking and may end up regretting paying double what a card should have sold for.

i'm trying to be more clear, like if you intended to pay 400 but put 900 just to stay on top even though you don't intend to pay 900 but still end up doing so. maybe i still don't make sense?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Cashews,

You're still not making sense to me.

The first thing I determine is how much am I willing to pay for a card, max. If someone bids more than that, fine. They were willing to pay more. I never put in any bid that I don't intend to pay.

As far as your references to "staying on top" and "running up", they're never an issue. Use a snipe service. Decide what price you'll pay. Set that snipe. Nobody sees your bid until 10 seconds before the auction is over. I'm never "on top" until the close. Nobody can "run up" to my bid.

I don't know anyone else who does it differently. The other bidder I referenced does it exactly the same way. His bids come in 8-10 seconds before the close. If he's the highest, he wins. Sometimes two people want the same card and both set high snipes. That doesn't mean they aren't willing to pay that amount. (But I love it when I set a $1000 snipe and get the item for $600.)

Old 04-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator

i guess what im saying is what you're willing to pay for a card isn't always what you want to pay for a card. so if you're willing to pay 900 but would only want to pay say 400 but end up paying the full 9 you might not be too happy it went that high. thats all i'm saying. usually when i set up a bid its what i want to pay and not what i'm willing to theoretically pay.

maybe i shouldn't have said anything but i just get into a lot of conversations with people about cards where they ended up paying way too much just because at that particular moment they absolutely had to have it and then regret it when a week later the same card sells for what they wanted to pay, rather than what they were willing to pay that day.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When setting a snipe bid it's really what you are willing to pay not what you want to pay. I am pretty sure no one "wants" to pay their max bid. Like I said the other day I won a candy box for 3x of what I wanted to pay as that is what my snipe was. I was willing to pay it....but sort of nauseous at paying what I did....I really didn't think anyone was dumb enough (besides me) to go that high...but was wrong. regards

Old 04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

i think leon understands what im saying

Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

How come I come I stay you go?
Cause was going when came. Next time you going come, try call.
How I going call when I stay coming already?
Next time I no come, I going!
Course! I not going see you stay if you stay gone! But me if I stay coming and you stay gone then when I stay going and you stay coming, what?
Then no go come first place.
In the first place I going call and stay coming and if you going go, me I'm not going come, cause when I call for see you going go, you already stay.
Pardon me?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Is that The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" after it has been put through an English-Korean-back to English online language translator?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: DMcD

Good try, Jodi! It's my best attempt at recollecting a famous bit (in Hawaii, anyway) called "Local Argument" by comedian Rap Reiplinger. They speak a pidgin English here which takes a little effort to get used to. Some of the foregoing in this thread kind of reminded me of Rap's shtick.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

idontbelievewhatijustsaw( 710) = Don Louchios = Whale = Throw logic out the window.