NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default HOF RC Collection Beginning - T206 question

Posted By: Brian T.

Hello all. I am new to vintage baseball card collecting as I have become disenchanted with all of the game used jersey/refractor/autograph/limited parallel chase cards in the past several years. I am now developing an affinity to vintage collecting and am embarking on a long-term project of collecting the rookie cards of the HOFers (not an original idea, I am certain). With that said, my knowledge base on pre-war cards is limited to what I have garnered in the past several weeks. I just discovered and registered with Net54 and figure that it is as good a place as any to ask this. From what I have read, SGC seems to be the leader in pre-war cards with PSA being second. So that I can "buy the card, not the holder" on T206 cards, where could I go to learn more about the T206 back variations, scarcity, and impact on value. I know that Piedmont and Sweet Caporal are by far the most common, but many speak of the factory numbers and other information about the backs even on the seemingly more common backs. Has anyone compiled some of this information somewhere so that rookies to T206 like me can get up to speed quicker? Thanks for your patience and your help.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

All collectors begin at the same starting point, reading Lew Lipset's books on tobacco and caramel cards. You should be able to pick up a soft bound copy on ebay fairly cheap. Full of great information although if you want price values, it is not for you. Lew lists the cards, discusses origins, pictures and commentary about the backs and variations, etc. An excellent starting point...

Here's an inexpensive volume of the caramel and gum sets:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Encyclopedia-of-Baseball-Cards-Lew-Lipset-1984_W0QQitemZ230277072426QQihZ013QQcategoryZ378QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

http://www.t206museum.com/page/ch_scbklt.html

Link for back scarcity.

Rawn

Old 08-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Dawson

Another great resource is Scot Reader's "Inside T206", published in 2006. Here's a link from the T206 Museum website:

http://www.t206museum.com/shop/InsideT2063d.pdf

Steve

Old 08-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian T.

Great resources! Exactly the kind of things I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

http://www.t-206.com/search

Invaluable price guide.

Rawn

Old 08-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

Another great site: http://www.t206.org/

Old 08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Derek Granger

Before going full force with all of the great posts above, note that there aren't too many HOF "rookie" cards in the T206 set. There are many cards that pre-date the T206 where you can find cards that most on this site would consider to be the "true" rookie cards of HOFers. There are a lot of HOFer Rookie Cards that are from 1887 (N172 Old Judges) and 1903 (E107) and 1906 (Fan Craze)...don't limit yourself to T206 if you want to explore many of the other issues of the time.

There are some collectors here that have the same lofty goal and have some amazing HOF Rookie collections that you can view online.

Just thought I'd share...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Thank you again. I am aware that many RC aren't from "the big three" - namely T206, 1933 Goudey, and 1952 Topps, but I figured that it would be worthwhile to get educated on all three prior to embarking since there are many that do fall in those sets - especially due to the uniqueness. Additionally, I have gone through and selected which cards from which sets I would like to obtain (and in which grades) - all with an eye toward what appeals to me visually and financially. In general, I am defaulting several cards to the big 3. For example, I may never get a Babe Ruth from the M101 set, but I can get the 1933 Goudey Ruths pretty reasonably. That one is pretty far away from a true RC since it was years later, but you get the point. I will eventually make a run for the M101, but probably not right away. I will default to T206 and the Goudey until some white whales become available. Honus is available prior to T206, but that doesn't stop me from having that lofty goal! Similarly, the 1951 Bowman Mantle and the 1952 Topps will hopefully both be a part of my collection. In general, I want to be knowledgeable about the set before buying from it so that I can be better able to judge authenticity (in hand) and to be able to know a good deal (or bad deal) when I find one.

Just a real quick plug. After only one day here, I am keenly aware of the marked difference between this site and other forums out there. The high knowledge level, interest, and general maturity is quite refreshing. I'm glad I found Net54!

One more question... I would like to ask a question of the group with regard to Sportkings Presidential Cuts (the new release this year), but am not sure where to do it. Is there a place on Net54 (non-sports perhaps?) for this or is anything post-1980 taboo?

Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Good luck, your going in the right direction going with vintage PreWar.

Here is a good page for the rookie card collector

http://members.aol.com/metsbwd/hofers.html

Old 08-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

here is a link to the place the questions for post war cards should go....it's an icon at the top of the front page too....thanks much

http://www.network54.com/Index/83587

Old 08-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Get a copy of Mr. Lipset's Encyclopedia, as mentioned above. Scot Reader's fine work will be good, too.

And consider buying ungraded cards. An ungraded card can't be slabbed incorrectly, can't be misjudged because of a label or number, and can't be damaged because it bounces around in a holder. Plus, if you buy ungraded cards you can spend the money you save on more cards... Or, you can collect plastic slabs.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

After thinking about it a bit, the only HOFer's that I'd consider T206 to be their rookie card might be Home Run Baker and Zach Wheat. Maybe some others but none come to mind without looking 'em up.

Craig

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Levy

I agree with Frank that the "spirit" of collecting is best captured in raw cards, however for someone unfamiliar with a series like T206, its very easy to be fooled by trimmed cards or even by fakes. While collecting for a few decades has made it very difficult to fool me on the counterfeits, I certainly have made those mistakes early on in my collecting....and still sometimes unintentionally end up with a trimmed card.

Regards,
Soctt

Old 08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

I would get Phil Garry's book: Baseball HOF Rookie Card Collection
He has sample photo's for just about every players "true" RC (or 1st baseball "card").

Another T206 RC, Tris Speaker.

Dan