NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM
Marty

Default 1912 World Series Panorama - Red Sox and Giants – info/advice?

Hi gang! I appreciate this great forum and everyone’s willingness to share information. I am looking for some help on an item I recently picked up. I collect (amongst many other things!) items relating to Hugh Bedient, who was a pitcher for the Red Sox from 1912-1914, and with Buffalo of the Federal League in 1915. I recently picked up an interesting item, and I am looking for information and advice. The item is a panorama from the 1912 World Series. It features a game action picture from the October 8th opening game of the series at the Polo Grounds, as well as two team panoramas of the Giants and eventual World Champion Red Sox. The item is on a nice slightly glossy paper stock, and when unfolded measures roughly 41” x 15”. As you can see, it has some wear and tear on the edges, and a piece of lower right corner is missing, but nothing that impacts the images. The item states that it is a “Supplement to the Index, The Illustrated Weekly - October 12, 1912.” I haven’t had any luck tracking down that publication, but I am guessing that this was probably not the only baseball supplement they produced. The game photo and the Red Sox team photo are credited to Underwood and Underwood, while the Red Sox photo is credited to Carl T. Horner. Does anyone have any info on the origins of this? The person I got it from said it came from descendants of the Spink family, but I don’t see any tie from this item to the Sporting News.
I am also looking for advice on how to preserve and display the item. Clearly things like acid free backing and UV protection are required, but not really sure how to best go about it. I don’t believe the value would make professional restoration an option, but I would like to display it and make sure it lasts. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2982_full.jpg (86.5 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2985_red_sox_crop.jpg (89.1 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2986_giants_crop.jpg (91.4 KB, 365 views)
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 AM

The Index was published in Pittsburg beginning in 1895 and added the "Illustrated Weekly" subtitle a decade later when it began to include photos. Years later it merged with The Bulletin, and publication ceased in the late 1940s.

I've inserted below a copy of the Horner panorama of the Boston team (it may be helpful in restoration of your supplement):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1912 AL Boston p.jpg (94.7 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by RUKen; 01-18-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Judging by the size, rarity and desirability of the item...
I think professional restoration should be considered, dependent upon cost.
Once restored and beautifully framed - if that were a worthwhile venture to undertake - the piece would make for an especially attractive display.
The question isn't necessarily the item's current or restored market value... but ask yourself, what is it worth to you?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Doug Goodman

That thing is amazing and I would display it exactly as it is.

In fact, if you have a problem finding a place to display it, I have a den that is fairly dim, and would be happy to move a couple things so that it would fit quite nicely on my wall.

Doug
Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM
Marty

Thanks to you all for the input - very helpful! I was able to do some searching and find a couple of other supplements from the Index of Pittsburgh in some past auctions. They look pretty cool as well.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../a/717-82106.s

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=40518

The second one sounds like it has some of the same types of edge tears that mine exhibits. I do think if it was professionally mounted and framed it would "ameliorate" (learned a new word!) their effects. My concern would be that the matting at the very edges of the supplement might over time impact the edges if it were ever removed from the matting, but I am guessing that wouldn't really be my concern. If I go that route, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on how I should request this be matted and framed?

Last edited by laughlinfan; 01-18-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'd think you'd want to see what a good paper conservator would want to at least flatten and stabilize it.

Other than that, if it was mine what I would do would be to get it as flat as possible, I usually get it flat and place the area or item under some weight for a while. This doesn't always work, but on thin paper it usually helps. By a "while" I mean like a few months, checked maybe once a week. Some stuff flattens nicely in a day or two, some just doesn't.

Once it's as flat as it's going to get, I'd put it between a couple sheets of Mylar, and use a roller to squeeze the air out. This is NOT laminating, which melts the plastic together and onto the surface! Just using the smoothness of the mylar and air pressure to seal it in and hold it in place. Mylar is archival, so after that unless the paper is very acidic, you should be good for a couple hundred years The mylar will hold the item in place, and protect it.

Now the mylar with the item inside can be matted as you wish. I might leave some room around the sides, so the whole item was visible. Although it might display a bit better with the torn edges covered up.

Steve B
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Marty

Thanks for the advice, Steve - much appreciated!
Old 01-22-2018, 04:36 PM
Jimmy

I know this was a Pitt. paper and source, but the Boston Public Library has a great resource for anything Red Sox - not sure what they have online now, but if you go there in person you can look at specific items. 1912 was a WS year so there are lots of resources

Thanks for sharing your item with us!

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 01-22-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:14 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

exceptional poster! Nearly 30 years of collecting, never seen one before. I like it as is.

aL
Old 01-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Personally, I would have it restored. There are conservators that would professionally back it with linen and make it look like a million bucks while getting rid of the creases etc.

Just my 2 cents.