NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2018, 03:33 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Peter-No question, the right thing is for Buckler to return Mike's money. Isn't he also legally obligated to return Mike's money?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Peter-No question, the right thing is for Buckler to return Mike's money. Isn't he also legally obligated to return Mike's money?
I think if Mike were to sue Chris, Mike would win. It's a bit metaphysical whether that means Chris has a legal obligation at this point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:53 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If Mike were to sue Buckler and win, would Buckler be responsible for Mike's attorney fees?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
If Mike were to sue Buckler and win, would Buckler be responsible for Mike's attorney fees?
No.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
No.
Depends on the state whose substantive law controls. In AZ, breach of warranty arises out of contract, and successful parties to contested actions arising out of contract can recover attorney's fees.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I assume Mike could sue in PA. Does anyone know PA law?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I assume Mike could sue in PA. Does anyone know PA law?
Why would you assume that? Isn't Chris in KY? And the sale took place in NJ right?

I am told the sale was not in NJ, my mistake, the purchase was made before the show where Zach saw his missing cards.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-13-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Depends on the state whose substantive law controls. In AZ, breach of warranty arises out of contract, and successful parties to contested actions arising out of contract can recover attorney's fees.
Well damn. That's an exception to the typical "American rule" still, no?

Old 01-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Well damn. That's an exception to the typical "American rule" still, no?
Yes, but AZ is by no means alone.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Again, I didn't read this whole thread because I was too busy living but this is all over $3700???

I spoke to Zach after this occurred and I can't imagine not just giving the guy his money or cards back. We've all had the occasional bad luck with a deal and sometimes you have to just suck it up and give back the money -- regardless of what some lawyer tells you to do. Some of us give the money back, and some of us here will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having to do the right thing if it means costing them a few bucks. I can't imagine this annoyance was worth $3700 to anyone. $3700, 15K or whatever the number is not worth it for people to think you're a hobby scumbag.

Mike and Zach have always been good guys in my book and their actions here confirm this.

Last edited by calvindog; 01-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Again, I didn't read this whole thread because I was too busy living but this is all over $3700???

I spoke to Zach after this occurred and I can't imagine not just giving the guy his money or cards back. We've all had the occasional bad luck with a deal and sometimes you have to just suck it up and give back the money -- regardless of what some lawyer tells you to do. Some of us give the money back, and some of us here will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid having to do the right thing if it means costing them a few bucks. I can't imagine this annoyance was worth $3700 to anyone. $3700, 15K or whatever the number is not worth it for people to think you're a hobby scumbag.

Mike and Zach have always been good guys in my book and their actions here confirm this.
Well said Jeff
Old 01-13-2018, 04:41 PM
Rhett Yeakley

C’mon guys let’s get this thing sorted out!

Mike Peich is one of the greatest men I have met in this hobby and his passion is second to none, just one of the most pleasant guys I have had the pleasure of dealing with! Obviously, at this point he is out everything and it shouldn’t be that way!

Zach is also one of my favorite people and the passion that he has had given his age is actually pretty inspiring and gives me great hope for the future! I can’t imagine the feeling of betrayal and surprise that Zach was faced with seeing his own prized collection in someone else’s display case. To me that would be heartbreaking, then to find out it was your own brother that did this is such a violation!

Chris Buckler and his wife I count as friends and I always look forward to my interactions with them every National, he is one of my favorite dealers to deal with and he has helped me out on several deals, often times selling me something I think he may have gotten more money for had he so desired but he was willing to sell to me because he is genuinely a nice guy.

I can honestly see the situation from all 3 perspectives and feel for each of the 3 parties involved!

All that being said... let’s get a solution to this problem. Unfortunately someone or a combination of somebodies will be taking a financial hit. But let’s figure it out, if there is any way that I can help in any way I would be more than happy to do so as this whole situation stinks and IMO there is no clear cut “bad guy” amongst those listed above.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-13-2018, 05:38 PM
James

Default The start of a solution -- one under our control

i made what i think was a good sale at the westchester show today. maybe karma had a part to play, maybe it didn't. in the chance it did, i'd like to repay or pay forward some portion of it in what i think is a worthy pursuit. mike, it sounds like you've had a shit time of it recently and it is undeserved given the positive interactions people have had with you.

in that context mike i'd like to send you $75 as a small fraction of the restitution you ultimately deserve of $3,700 plus the additional money you spent acquiring the cards to give back to zach. an honorable act deserves an honorable response...there's not enough instances of this happening and this time i can have some impact on the outcome. hopefully others will follow.

mike, please let me know what paypal address to send the money to and i will send it tonight. if you don't have paypal, please list your street address and i will send you a check. tim, if mike isn't like to read the remainder of this thread please pass along his contact info if you feel it appropriate.

regards, james

Last edited by griffon512; 01-13-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon512 View Post
i made what i think was a good sale at the westchester show today. maybe karma had a part to play, maybe it didn't. in the chance it did, i'd like to repay or pay forward some portion of it in what i think is a worthy pursuit. mike, it sounds like you've had a shit time of it recently and it is undeserved given the positive interactions people have had with you.

in that context mike i'd like to send you $75 as a small fraction of the restitution you ultimately deserve of $3,700 plus the additional money you spent acquiring the cards to give back to zach. an honorable act deserves an honorable response...there's not enough instances of this happening and this time i can have some impact on the outcome. hopefully others will follow.

mike, please let me know what paypal address to send the money to and i will send it tonight. if you don't have paypal, please list your street address and i will send you a check. tim, if mike isn't like to read the remainder of this thread please pass along his contact info if you feel it appropriate.

regards, james
Awesome gesture...very nice bud. I'm not sure Mike would take it, but its an awesome gesture James.