NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Default Show only your pre-war full unopened tobacco-cigarette packs

Only your pre-war full unopened tobacco-cigarette packs:

Old 06-07-2017, 07:31 PM
Jon Canfield

Here's a few.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MinoKotton.jpg (78.6 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg American Beauty (1) - Jon Canfield.jpg (33.8 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg Lone Jack (close) (Jon Canfield).jpg (79.5 KB, 556 views)
File Type: jpg Obak - 1909.jpg (70.1 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg PolarBear.jpg (56.0 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg Sovereign Copy of IMG_2119.jpg (73.5 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg eBay-May'09.jpg (28.0 KB, 557 views)
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Here's a full pack of 10 cigarettes. Note that each cigarette in it is labelled American Beauty.

Thanks Jon....I acquired this pack from you many years ago.

TED Z
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Hi Jon,

The Lone Jack and the Tolstoi are full unopened?

Are any of your Creole Cigarette packs unopened?

I'm not able to access your website.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 PM
Jon Canfield

Yes on both (full with contents). The Lone Jack has a flower card inside.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Thanks Jon - your packs are undoubtedly unique items. In viewing your website - I noticed the 1887 Buchner Gold Coin Tobacco tin you show may not be correct. The paper Gold Coin pack I showed in my article last year may be more likely.

I was attempting to make a population report of vintage unopened tobacco packs - even the issues without the card inserts. Hope to induce contributions here.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Bry@n

Wow Jon, I love the Kotton and Mino! I lived in New Orleans for a decade and the odds of those paper packs surviving humidity, hurricanes, and termites is minuscule. Are those one of a kind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjond View Post
Here's a few.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:53 PM
Brendan Mullen

Has anyone ever pulled a baseball card from a tobacco pack? The Obak above.....was that pulled from the pack? I'm just curious as to how these cards survived...
Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 PM

I think cards would have been in some kind of slide. I don't think the cards were loose in the pack.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Bry@n

Given the amount of tobacco on them it seems like Polar Bears might have been naked in the packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think cards would have been in some kind of slide. I don't think the cards were loose in the pack.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:16 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Has anyone ever pulled a baseball card from a tobacco pack? The Obak above.....was that pulled from the pack? I'm just curious as to how these cards survived...
The Obak was pulled from the pack. it was against the slide. Also, I've pulled (mistakenly!) a non-sports card from a Virginia Brights pack. That card was against the slide and wrapped in a coupon such that it was near mint.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I* think they came from my collection and I have never seen any others like them...I don't know if Jon has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Wow Jon, I love the Kotton and Mino! I lived in New Orleans for a decade and the odds of those paper packs surviving humidity, hurricanes, and termites is minuscule. Are those one of a kind?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Joe

img_3248 (1).jpg

img_3254 (1).jpg
Old 06-09-2017, 09:22 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I* think they came from my collection and I have never seen any others like them...I don't know if Jon has.
Yes - these were Leon's. I have never seen others that appear period. I have seen some late-192/30s cigarette boxes, but the style of pack are different.

The later ones can be seen here:

http://baseballandtobacco.com/t216.htm
Old 06-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
Thanks Jon - your packs are undoubtedly unique items. In viewing your website - I noticed the 1887 Buchner Gold Coin Tobacco tin you show may not be correct. The paper Gold Coin pack I showed in my article last year may be more likely.

I was attempting to make a population report of vintage unopened tobacco packs - even the issues without the card inserts. Hope to induce contributions here.
Jerry - I have never seen a paper wrapper or pack, but have seen them depicted on the advertisements. They almost appear to be more "box like". The BGC is the closest I've ever come. I know have 2 different (a black and purple version).
Old 06-09-2017, 09:28 AM
Jon Canfield

Here are 2 packs that had cards pulled from them, both mistakenly (and both turned out to be non-sports)!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4840.jpg (67.6 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4839.jpg (75.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Rich.ard Dwy.er

At the Long Beach coin expo (open today and tomorrw) David Hall has a collection of his T206 boxes on display. Impressive, but I have more.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:04 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

Jon,
The Lone Jack pack you show - a flower card N366?
The Lone Jack pack with the Napoleon medals has the LJ BB cards N370
Hassan pack - non-sports - T29?
Virginia Brights - bird - N#?
VB pack - no N28

Right - my Gold Coin pack was taken from an advertising sign.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Kimballs High Grade Cigarettes
I opened it.
contents:
10 cigarettes & tobacco dust
pamphlet with a printed list of 100 novels
an album certificate - (30 needed) for a free novel
one butterflies card with #39 thecia smilacis pictured wearing butterfly wings
on the back - a checklist of 50 (foreign) names - N183
Expected an N184.

1918 Durham smoking tobacco - I had a carton of those at one time.

My population report of vintage unopened tobacco packs is not materializing.

Last edited by jerrys; 06-10-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: correction
Old 06-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Jon Canfield

Correct Jerry. Here's the Lone Jack. This one didn't survive as well as some of the others. The card has pieces that have flaked off into the pack.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Jon Canfield

Here's my OM with wrapper as well.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Je.rry Spillm@n

The OM Tax Stamp: March, 1880?

The LJ N366 - Language of Flowers - are dated May, 1888 on the back.

I have a LJ letterhead:

Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 PM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Packs

image.jpg

Here's a full pirate pack I picked up a few years ago with card
Old 06-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Default Here are a few "full, unopened" packs..........

Enjoy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Egyptienne1.jpg (40.0 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Fatima.jpg (31.3 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Murad1.jpg (40.2 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg OldMill1.jpg (42.4 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg Pirate.jpg (30.7 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg SweetCap1.jpg (55.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 06-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Jerry, Jon, et al.

Here are two more 19th century packs but neither contain a card.

The SF Hess Gold Clip pre-dates the industry wide migration to slide & shell packs that occurred in 1886-1887. It has an 1883 tax stamp and the overprint is very light. A friend has a sister pack to mine and is able to read the overprint as June 1886. This was the most popular way to package cigarettes prior to slide and shell, 10 cigarettes rolled in a paper pack in an arrangement of three rows of 3, then 4, and another 3 giving a near round shape.

The second pack is one you are likely aware of, from Scott Hassel's 1995 warehouse find of a near full carton (18 of possible 20 packs). Each pack was mint and included all the original contents but no card. A coupon was inserted offering a book for 50 coupons (note the coupon states "Having decided to discontinue packing photographs with our cigarettes we will instead of these, extend to our patrons their choice of a good collection of well selected books.").

I also have a pack of SF Hess Creole with original cigarettes but the card and coupon are missing.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default too hard to get to individual examples

as they are displayed with opened and empty packs. Mono and Mino - WOW. Never seen another of either - imagine there MIGHT be another one somewhere if one has another lifetime to spend! The Gold Clip a favorite - bought mine from someone whose grandfather had a tobacco store - he had at least 3 but price was pretty steep. Think the Duke's packs with book coupons were 1890's - I still have the carton. One pack that has always eluded me is the Lone Jack. Great piece Jon. I have a nice unsealed Lone Jack sack but I'm still in search of a slide and shell. The poker story just adds more interest for me. I have an Old Gold pack I bought from an Alan Haeger auction with contents and NS card. I personally value a sealed pack over one that isn't - but understand the people that don't feel an excessive premium is warranted. They're not wax packs and unless it's something that might contain a rare and valuable card - it's more about the sizzle than the steak. I also collect sealed Lucky Strike and Camel packs and tins from the teens to the 1940's. No cards inside - just closest to their original state and an item rarely found in such condition - theoretically a little more "special" than someone else might have but few people really care. Off the top of my head I have a couple Murad and Helmar unopened packs as well as a Kimball and American Beauty, Omar, Zeubelda, Fatima, Cameo, Home Run, Oasis, along with some full packs but opened - including a VERY early Ginter paper pack, a couple of Kimball packs, Sweet Caporal, Zira, Tokio (contains original insert indian silk - Red Cloud!), Clix, Polo and more.
I know your post was very specific and I really didn't meet the criteria. If I can offer something just email me - sorry I won't see you at the national this year.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:59 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello Henry,

I didn't notice or remember that you had a Gold Clip paper pack as well, I remember the A&G. I didn't realize there were three of them in total, glad they survived. I also didn't realize you have the Cameo carton. You have too much
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post

The second pack is one you are likely aware of, from Scott Hassel's 1995 warehouse find of a near full carton (18 of possible 20 packs). Each pack was mint and included all the original contents but no card. A coupon was inserted offering a book for 50 coupons (note the coupon states "Having decided to discontinue packing photographs with our cigarettes we will instead of these, extend to our patrons their choice of a good collection of well selected books.").

Cool, Joe....now you have to start a corresponding book collection

Old 06-12-2017, 09:35 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default neat book angle

I guess I need one!