NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Default Newspaper article on Mastro auctions

Posted By: Alan

http://www.dailyherald.com/business/story.asp?id=303238

Old 04-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Zinn

"Our main customers are wealthy men who are willing to spend a lot of money,” Allen said."

WOW!!

------------------------

"Mastro Auctions uses a division of the California-based Collector’s Universe, called Professional Sports Authenticator, to grade its card conditions and authenticate autographs.

Professional Sports employees travel to Burr Ridge to provide a third-party opinion on the quality of items so that collectors have faith in their purchases."

REALLY?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

"Our main customers are wealthy men who are willing to spend a lot of money,” Allen said."

This is why I can longer collect pre-war cards! He runs a business and those are the people that you want buying your product. Good for him - bad for me.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The truth hurts on that one.....There is no doubt their best customers (biggest) are wealthy. So much for us armpits .....and I do know Doug very well and don't feel it was a slap to the rest of us...It was him being brutally honest. If I win "a" lot in their current auction I will be happy...anymore more than 1, depending on what it is, and momma won't be happy....

Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martindl

Hmmmm, Doug Allen uses the term 'wealthy' in a non-hobby newspaper article and people feel slighted?

I think some folks have lost perspective to what most people would consider wealthy. Only 17% of all U.S. housholds made $100,000 or more in 2005 - is that the 'wealthy' cut off point. 75% of all households made $77k or less.

Surely you can see that to most people anyone who purchases any item in a Mastro Auction that has a $100 minimum would likely be considered wealthy.

I'm in the 17% and don't consider myself wealthy, but I'm quite sure that most of America would.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

We are not surprised.

Like leon, we also would like to win one lot in Mastro.

we be po' folk.

(edited to correct grammar)

Old 04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

We po, so what. We will survive 'cuz Sloate Auctions is our Robin Hood!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

That's right, Barry's our main man.

Peter

Old 04-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Somehow I end up in every thread. Are you guys stalking me?

The best way for a collector on a budget to get something from the big auction houses is to form a group and try to win a lot with multiple cards, then divvy them up. You're not going to buy Lionel Carter's 1938 Goudey set but there are plenty of other things that are attainable. You have to do your homework, though.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

is to troll ebay while all those shiny catalog auctions are under way and buy all the great stuff there that is under the radars of all the "wealthy men" who are bashing each others' brains out in the auctions. Or not.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's another good way.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

pick 2 lots that realistically you can afford and have a roundabout figure in which they will end up at. Then GOOD LUCK gettin one !

Old 04-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry Hrechka

In addition to my card collecting, I also collect comic books. Just bought 2 Silver Age Sgt. Fury & His Howling Commandos books for dirt cheap. No. 16 for 99 cents & No. 48 for 89 cents. The books are in VG to FN condition. Bargains are out there if you are willing to be patient and not win 90 to 95% of the items you bid on.
I've had compareable buys on cards as well - HOW# 285 for $1.00 in G condition was my most recent card "Steal". All it takes is patience and diligence.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jerry,

I like your approach, patience is the key. Unfortunately, when I have money in my pocket, it is soon gone.

Peter