NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned

Default My whole collection gone

Most of you dont know me but ive been a member on here for awhile. This afternoon my house was robbed while i was away at the gym and almost all of my collection was stolen along with my watches, some clothes, tv and mini safe. I feel hopeless because ive spent countless hours building my collection to have it quickly taken away from me by some piece of sh*t thief. Most of the items were sentimental and my photos were my passion. I dont know how they knew my photos had any value but they didnt hesitate to take those either. I love this forum and have gotten so much help from you guys which is why im sharing this news. I dont know where to start now
Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Awful news. Any chance you may 'know' the thief? He knew you were gone during the day and grabbed a bunch of your collection. Maybe some recent work done at your house by contractors?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Banned

I didnt even think about that..yes weve had tons of people in and out working on the house. But no way of knowing
Old 05-14-2014, 04:45 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Only reason I thought of it is since it happened to my parents years ago. Cases the joint and pinpointed what to take. Obviously reach out to the police and let them know you've had contractors in. So sorry to hear this.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Only reason I thought of it is since it happened to my parents years ago. Cases the joint and pinpointed what to take. Obviously reach out to the police and let them know you've had contractors in. So sorry to hear this.
Thanks man..i appreciate it
Old 05-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Rich v@n He$$

Sorry about your loss. I wouldn't hesitate to visit all of the local pawn shops and card shops (if there are any) with information on your losses. Keep an eye on Craigslist or any cheap "For Sale" outlets.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:54 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

My sympathies to you, by any chance have you checked with your insurance company to see it you have any coverage. I know this can't replace what is gone but it might help you begin to rebuild your collection and aide the police if things are recovered.
If you have an inventory and photos I would provide them to the police , your insurance company , people on this site, local card and pawn shops, and maybe place an ad with reward in your newspaper. I have even seen people on the news discussing the theft of items to " get the word out ".
Good Luck
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know what I would do if this happened to me, I hope the police can catch the SOB that did this to you, and salvage what they can for you. The above poster is right, it was probably someone that knew what you had and knew what to go for. Did you show any of the contractors your collection, did any of them show an unusual interest in what your collection was valued at? If you think about who could have done it, you will probably realize who it was. Trust your instincts, and share your thoughts with the police. I know a lot of police officers, and they really don't like scum-bags stealing from honest citizens. God bless.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 05-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Please post any info you have on items or better yet pics so that if they show up quick folks will know they are stolen. Best advise for getting stuff back is to quickly take a list to every local pawn shop so they know not to buy and plead with a local cop to help you (they often know who local burglars are but cannot catch) good luck.
J
Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender07 View Post
Any chance you may 'know' the thief?
Most home burglaries are committed by someone the victim knows. My condo was burglarized about 12 years ago. I had a strong feeling it was the guy that lived three doors down. Sure enough, exactly 10 days later he was picked up on a DWI with one of my stolen guns in his possession. While he was in jail, I kicked in his door and got the rest of my stuff back.

Joey, sorry to hear about your loss. There is a very strong chance it was somebody you know or has been in the house recently. Good luck!

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 05-14-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

Geez Joey, my heart really goes out to you.
Good luck in hopefully getting your stuff back.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Banned

Thank you guys for the kind words..i have contacted the police and am hoping for thebbest but know its a long shot. We had alot of contractors in and out since our house were renting went to sh*t. i have some of my items out displayed on my shelf so im sure some of them have seen then them. The only things the thief didnt take was my kreindler 5x7 joe jackson painting which i might have to part with to raise some money, my paintings and a few photos.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Brock

Sorry to hear Joey.. Hopefully you'll get your stuff back soon.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:51 PM
Dan Bretta

Check with the local antique shops as well...I had a woman sell me some Barbie dolls last Summer that turned out to be stolen from her sister. I get a lot of shady looking characters coming in weekly to try and sell me stuff.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 05-14-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Really sorry to hear this. Best of luck in recovering your items and I hope they catch the crooks.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 05-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Clint

Terrible news. Sorry to hear about this. Hope they catch them quickly and you get your items back.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:07 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Good news is there are limited places you can get fair money for vintage Ruth and baseball photos, so I bet you'll see them sooner or later. Get the word out to local antique stores, pawn shops and shows, the next baseball card show, and watch the online auctions. Original Ruth photos of course have good value and they're common knowledge on this board, but they're esoteric and obscure items most everywhere else and only a small number of folks will pay fair rate for them.

You can sell gold coins and diamond rings anywhere, but not many people will pay more than a few dollars for a musty small photo of a baseball player, even it it would sell for $1,000 at major auction.

And very few people outside the hobby (and not many in the hobby) will have any idea how to tell if a Ruth photo is original or cheap reprint, only further limiting the number of buyers and selling avenues.

Last edited by drcy; 05-14-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:14 PM
Scott

I hope u do too soon. I lost a ton of stuff a few years back in a car break in. Stinks. Good luck and yes, watch Pawn shops and CL . Nail the SOB
Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Very sorry to here this. I can't even imagine how bad that would feel. My sympathies...

Hope you can catch them. Search ebay and craiglist and local shops and if any card shows coming to your area soon.... alert as many people as you can to keep a lookout.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 05-14-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Glad to hear you are starting to find some of the photos.
If I had the money, I'd take Joe off your hands as you can never have too many Kreindlers. Hopefully someone on the board can help you out.
Best,
Mark

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 05-17-2014, 12:26 PM

Joey,
Sounds like the thief may be kids...
Old 05-17-2014, 01:37 PM
Banned

No info

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 05-18-2014 at 12:16 AM. Reason: please delete
Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Joey-
Again, very sorry to hear this. Your Babe Ruth auto was not taken, correct?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:39 PM

The thief stole most of your photos, but dumped only the basketball photos? So they either purposely pitched or accidentally dropped the photos that are probably of lowest value? That is unbelievable...unbelievably fortunate for you that you were the one that found some of your own photos. What a stroke of great luck for you right after some very bad luck! Let's hope this good luck keeps going for you.

As others wrote, the thief knew your schedule. I am sure the thief knows you and knew of your collection as well. A basic Google search of your name, Joey Farino, would have shown them all they needed to know...unfortunately. Some believe that bad things will happen to people who do bad things to others. You know, karma. Maybe something bad will happen to the thief in the future.

Sorry for your loses. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf1981 View Post
i agree..if you know anyone interested in my painting please let me know..thanks
lololololololol
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
lololololololol
Whats funny about that? Im trying to raise as much money as i can and that means im gonna have to sacrifice some things to do that
Old 05-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Joey,
Sounds like the thief may be kids...
Im not sure about that but you never know. Like i said earlier weve had alot of work done on this house since we moved in. Weve had nothing but bad luck with this house but we signed a 2yr lease so were kind of stuck unless we pay a hefty pro-rated fee. I was talking to my friend who had his house broken into and the thief threw a huge rock through his back sliding glass door during the day and he lives in a quadrant home and still no one saw anything. People are getting more and more desperate these days and bold
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Clearly.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

While I cannot defend any non payment issues that may be present, I can comment on my own experience. I have had multiple deals with Joey that were completed without any issues. He paid and shipped items to me immediately.
I'm not trying to start an argument. Just stating my experience with him.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:49 PM

"Say it isn't So Joe?"
Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Joey-
That IS a ton of non payments-and the use of different ID's?
Old 05-20-2014, 05:30 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

So far I've found 9 different eBay IDs for Joey Farino with numerous of them having negative feedback for nonpayment -- all within the past year.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Sebastian

One could argue privately harassing somebody could be considered "bitch shit" so how about it Joey? We know you are there. So why dont you man up and tell it like it is?
Old 05-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Alex

I don't have a problem with Joey being a member as long as he is banned from the BST. His eBay issues don't have anything to do with the site.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
His eBay issues don't have anything to do with the site.
Agreed.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I don't have a problem with Joey being a member as long as he is banned from the BST. His eBay issues don't have anything to do with the site.
Except for the fact that many of us sell on ebay, and at least one of our members he stiffed. OCD or not, how does one make a best offer on a BIN and not pay for it once it's accepted? If you don't have the money to pay for an item then why are you even wasting someone's time with an offer?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
Except for the fact that many of us sell on ebay, and at least one of our members he stiffed. OCD or not, how does one make a best offer on a BIN and not pay for it once it's accepted? If you don't have the money to pay for an item then why are you even wasting someone's time with an offer?
Theres not a good enough answer that can justify that. I have every intention of paying but like i said when i see something i want more after the fact then i get reckless. It is a big issue for me and something that will stop.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I think what Alex meant (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Joey's eBay issues shouldn't play any part as to whether he's a member here or not. If Jeff of anybody else wants to continue posting his eBay behavior to warn other sellers, I don't have a problem with that, but it should not be used against him to determine his membership here (as long as it stays outside the forum).
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I think what Alex meant (and he can correct me if I'm wrong) is that Joey's eBay issues shouldn't play any part as to whether he's a member here or not. If Jeff of anybody else wants to continue posting his eBay behavior to warn other sellers, I don't have a problem with that, but it should not be used against him to determine his membership here (as long as it stays outside the forum).

David - Those are my sentiments.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Banned

if it means anything to you guys Im sorry. I found a hobby that Im real passionate about and have gone about things the wrong way for a long time. Theres so many cool things out there that I get reckless and go on these ebay rants. It is a problem and very wrong. There is nothing I can say to justify my behavior but hope that at least some of you realize that I really do want to be a part of this forum.

And jeff you couldve came to me personally and asked me about any of this before attacking me. I wouldve addressed any issue you had. I dont know you and have never personally done any business with you. But dont ever bring my personal life or family into any of this. Thats a d*ck move

if any of you want to talk more about this you can pm me but otherwise theres really nothing more to say about this

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 05-21-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

As I said before, I have bought and sold multiple photos to Joey in the past 6mos. In my dealings, he has been very fair in his pricing and quick in his payment and shipping. On the board, excluding the BST, I think his threads and posts have been positive contributions. I agree that he has some ebay issues to deal with, but it's interesting in that most of his problems with retractions, etc seem to involve items other than photos. In many of the ebay Ids that have been shown, he has a string of positive feedback results, with positive wording, from Henry Yee, who as we all know sells mostly photos anymore. Not sure what is up with that, but that appears to the pattern.
I have no problems with him being on the board as a contributor. Being that Leon has already banned him from the BST, I think it becomes up to each individual here to determine if they wish to do any business with him.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Joey, no one brought your personal life into this but you. When you claimed that your various family members were dying, when your fiancé kept getting pregnant, etc., that was all personal stuff that you brought up in order to further your fraud. All I did was point out that you were still committing fraud on eBay under multiple IDs when you claim you had been clean for two years. If that makes me a bad guy to you, I don't care. Do you actually think anyone here cares what you think of them? And "manning up" isn't manning up when you only apologize after getting caught -- again.

As for letting a guy stay on this forum who has lied so often to so many people, who has defrauded Net 54 members (even if Joey doesn't know what the word "fraud" means), who sends harassing PMs, who stiffed auction houses, who has been kicked off eBay more times than he can count, who evades his BST ban by privately contacting Net 54 members to buy his stuff, well, if this is the kind of guy we want here then you have exactly the kind of forum you deserve. I can't believe that I'm the only one who wants better.

Last edited by calvindog; 05-21-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Joey, no one brought your personal life into this but you. When you claimed that your various family members were dying, when your fiancé kept getting pregnant, etc., that was all personal stuff that you brought up in order to further your fraud. All I did was point out that you were still committing fraud on eBay under multiple IDs when you claim you had been clean for two years. If that makes me a bad guy to you, I don't care. Do you actually think anyone here cares what you think of them? And "manning up" isn't manning up when you only apologize after getting caught -- again.

As for letting a guy stay on this forum who has lied so often to so many people, who has defrauded Net 54 members (even if Joey doesn't know what the word "fraud" means), who sends harassing PMs, who stiffed auction houses, who has been kicked off eBay more times than he can count, who evades his BST ban by privately contacting Net 54 members to buy his stuff, well, if this is the kind of guy we want here then you have exactly the kind of forum you deserve. I can't believe that I'm the only one who wants better.

Harassing emails???? What have you been doing to me this whole time? And ask the people on here who ive sold things to. Ask them about their experience and see what they say. Jeff being a lawyer has really messed with your head. Everyone does dumb sh*t sometimes in their life, sometimes more than once if you can believe that. You obviously feel compelled to be the "hero" in all this like youre personally after me for nothing I did to you. Im a fairly new collector and I got somewhat obsessed and compulsive with it because its something I really enjoy. If someone admits they have a problem dont be a d*ckhead and keep kicking them while their down. Do you not believe drug addicts can recover? Damn dude you must not have any type of heart

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 05-21-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Ultimately, regardless of what we "want," it's up to Leon to decide who stays and who goes. I agree with all that it's a shame Joey has had these issues and it's a shame that people were hurt by those issues. I think this thread will certainly serve as a cautionary tale for all those who are deciding whether or not to do business with him. As far as harassing PMs, I think if Leon threw everyone off who ever sent an inappropriate email/message, we would have a very small board.

It's not that I don't want as good a board as possible, it's just that my personal experience with Joey has been very different than many others'.

Last edited by Lordstan; 05-21-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
...well, if this is the kind of guy we want here then you have exactly the kind of forum you deserve. I can't believe that I'm the only one who wants better.
Jeff, I applaud your Net54 (and other venues) battle against fraud. What I've seen is that any time you bring up fraud, you immediately get morons crawling out of the woodwork. Once a moron enters the conversation, more join, then you find them latching onto more intelligent forum members who simply want to take a bite out of your butt for other discussions that didn't end the way they wanted. It's formulaic.

It's a thankless, unwinnable effort, but still appreciated by many of us. Every time I hook horns with a moron I get plenty of email and P.M. support, as you've described, but most forum members are savvy enough to realize that you can't win such battles, so they stay out of it publicly. That's what you are up against, but the support is definitely there.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Perhaps Adrian could shed some light on that. He seemed to have similar issues.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-21-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Alex

Can we all get back to discussing our passions for baseball?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Hi Barry,
I have to say that is one of the most eloquent posts I have ever read on this forum. As I was reading it, I felt like you were channeling Thomas Jefferson when he was writing the Declaration of Independence.
" When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation"
It was a joy to read as most people don't write like that anymore.
Thanks,
Mark

BTW, as Memorial Day approaches, I think of these great heroes. If anyone here has not read the Declaration, I encourage you to do so. It is a spectacularly beautiful document that allows all to appreciate how incredible the English language can be in the hands of a master writer like Jefferson.

Last edited by Lordstan; 05-22-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:05 AM
David Seid.eman

Default So Sorry

That happened to me in Brooklyn 25 years ago. My entire childhood collection was stolen, plus some valuable cards I obtained as an adult. Later on I came across my collection at a show, but had no way to prove it.

Cherish the memories and try to resume collecting to heal the wounds.

David
Old 05-27-2014, 12:11 PM
David Seid.eman

Default Sweet Blog on Mother Throwing Out Your Cards

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsei...aseball-cards/