NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Zach

Default Louisiana Type Cards Website

A while back I started taking more interest in cards issued in Louisiana (I live about 40 minutes from New Orleans). I started taking some notes and saving a bunch of files on my computer and eventually decided to start compiling everything on a website. The idea is to have a source for information regarding LA types. I've tried to include a brief description of each set, along with a checklist of known cards, and info regarding the company that distributed the cards.

I found a lot of good information in old threads on Net54. Ted Z's checklists helped out tremendously and Leon offered some assistance as well.

Here's where I'm at so far: www.louisianacards.com

If anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it. If you see any corrections that need to be made or have any relevant info that I could add please let me know.

Thanks,
Zach

Last edited by ZachS; 05-28-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

That's a great looking site, well done.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Seth

Awesome site, and that amazing picture of a Cafe du Monde order is the wrong thing for me to be looking at right after lunch! Could go for some beignets right now.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Zach

Thanks, guys.

Seth - I can't go anywhere near NOLA with my wife unless I want to stop at Cafe Du Monde. Beignets are like crack-cocaine to that woman.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM
Sean Costello

Zach, great site. Do you have any information on which T215 Red Cross cards were produced in the first set, the second set, or both sets?

I'm particularly interested in whether Merkle is in both sets or just the first.

Any info would help. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:37 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachS View Post
Thanks, guys.

Seth - I can't go anywhere near NOLA with my wife unless I want to stop at Cafe Du Monde. Beignets are like crack-cocaine to that woman.
Yesterday my wife and I saw the movie "Chef", and in it Jon Favreau went to the Cafe du Monde for beignets. Never heard of them before yesterday, and now I've heard of them twice. Pretty funny.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Zach

I thought 215-1 and 215-2 covered the same 96 card checklist? I could be wrong.

This sounds like a Ted Z. question.

Edit - the Standard Catalog lists Merkle in both type 1 and type 2.

Last edited by ZachS; 05-28-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Alex

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

The beignets are okay but the coffee will usually burn the roof of your mouth off.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great site Zach!!

Cafe De Monde? I had 3 (only I have seen) and sold 1...excuse the others, I am lazy.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:35 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Cafe De Monde? I had 3 (only I have seen) and sold 1...excuse the others, I am lazy.
I'm waiting for the day when you type "... and sold 2"
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Nice

Hi Zack, you have a wonderful website. It makes me wish I was on the balcony of the Cajun Cabin drinking a hurricane and eating a bowl of etouffee.

Great site!

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Zach-that is one well done website-kudos!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Curt

I'm from N. LA and currently live in New Orleans. I'm very interested in these cards as well. This is a great site. Nicely done!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:46 PM
pete ullman

very nice site! i started focusing on louisianan issues a bunch of yrs ago...and I have quite a few. I love them! You may also want to mention that t216's have been found with blank backs...Goodwin sold a whole lode of them a few years ago.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
very nice site! i started focusing on louisianan issues a bunch of yrs ago...and I have quite a few. I love them! You may also want to mention that t216's have been found with blank backs...Goodwin sold a whole lode of them a few years ago.
I'm going to look into the blank back T216's. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I'm looking for some more info on Coupon Cigarettes. I'm pretty sure they were manufactured by the American Tobacco Company but I have some questions.

ATC broke apart in 1911 forming several different companies with 4 major players: Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co., P. Lorillard Co., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., and a much reduced American Tobacco Co.

If T213's were distributed between 1910-1919, who would have had control of Coupon Cigarettes after the 1911 break-up? I'm pretty sure that the W.R. Irby branch of Ligget & Myers was the only one located in New Orleans so would they have been the ones producing Coupon Cigarettes?

I've tried searching the web for more info on Coupon but I just keep getting hits about cigarette coupons. I was just hoping someone here might have a definitive answer.

Last edited by ZachS; 05-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:

These are all from the Goodwin Auctions and the same find... I think it was someone close to their production that collected them..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt216x6miscutsfinal.jpg (77.5 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Ed Hans

Default Re: Louisiana Type Cards Website

Great looking site, Zach.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
These are all from the Goodwin Auctions and the same find... I think it was someone close to their production that collected them..
I found the auction where these were listed. They are listing these as T216's based on the paper stock... but you're also saying that these blank backed cards were from a find that also contained regular Kotton back T216's correct?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
I thought 215-1 and 215-2 covered the same 96 card checklist? I could be wrong.

This sounds like a Ted Z. question.

Edit - the Standard Catalog lists Merkle in both type 1 and type 2.
Zach, thank you.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:

Also, I'm looking for some more info on Coupon Cigarettes. I'm pretty sure they were manufactured by the American Tobacco Company but I have some questions.

ATC broke apart in 1911 forming several different companies with 4 major players: Ligget & Myers Tobacco Co., P. Lorillard Co., R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Co., and a much reduced American Tobacco Co.

If T213's were distributed between 1910-1919, who would have had control of Coupon Cigarettes after the 1911 break-up? I'm pretty sure that the W.R. Irby branch of Ligget & Myers was the only one located in New Orleans so would they have been the ones producing Coupon Cigarettes?

I've tried searching the web for more info on Coupon but I just keep getting hits about cigarette coupons. I was just hoping someone here might have a definitive answer.

T213's

As stated before, these White-Bordered cards (cousins to the T206's) were all produced in New York City at the AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC Co. Then shipped
to the COUPON cigarette Factory in New Orleans to be packaged with COUPON cigarettes.

It is my belief that the thin cardboard 1910 "COUPON" cards (T213-1) were never inserted in COUPON cigarette packs. Individual cards from this 68-card set
were included in Cigarette cartons containing 100's of cigarettes of this brand. The T213-2 and T213-3 cards were inserted into COUPON cigarette packs.

T215's

The T215 cards were produced in New York City at the AMERICAN LITHOGRAPHIC Co. Then shipped to the Lorillard plant (Factory #10) in Jersey City (NJ),
and inserted in the Red Cross tobacco products. A large find of Red Cross cards occurred some years back in the Louisiana area.

T216

These cards were produced by the printing firm in the Philadelphia area that produced the various Caramel sets. These cards were then shipped to the Factory
in New Orleans which produced the People's Tobacco Co. brands (KOTTON, MINO, VIRGINIA EXTRA). Then the T216 cards were packaged with their respective
Cigarette brand.

Hey guys

Please realize that Tobacco or Candy Factory's (circa 1908-1919) had machinery and low-paid employees to strictly produce Cigarettes, or Caramel confections.
These Factory's did NOT have the artists, technicians, machinery, or facilities to print Lithographic picture cards.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 05-30-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Zach

Ted - I knew you'd end up here sooner or later. Thanks for info in your post. I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm asking though. I'm asking about Coupon Cigarettes... not T213 cards. I'm trying to find out more information about who made the cigarettes and where.

I understand that all of the cards themselves were printed off-site in other states. I'm trying to tie the cards in with the products in which they were distributed from the LA area.

Last edited by ZachS; 05-29-2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Ted - I knew you'd end up here sooner or later. Thanks for info in your post. I think you might be misunderstanding what I'm asking though. I'm asking about Coupon Cigarettes... not T213 cards. I'm trying to find out more information about who made the cigarettes and where.

I understand that all of the cards themselves were printed off-site in other states. I'm trying to tie the cards in with the products in which they were distributed from the LA area.

Zach

I know that you know where these cards where printed. I posted that info for those who think that the cards were printed at the Tobacco Factory's.

Regarding your question......the COUPON tobacco brand was assigned to Liggett & Myers (L & M) after ATC's divestiture in 1911. And, I am quite sure
that there was an L & M plant in New Orleans.

TED Z
Old 05-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Regarding your question......the COUPON tobacco brand was assigned to Liggett & Myers (L & M) after ATC's divestiture in 1911. And, I am quite sure
that there was an L & M plant in New Orleans.

TED Z
That's what I was figuring but I wasn't 100%. Thanks!

W.R. Irby had a branch of Liggett & Myers in New Orleans on Magazine St. I just wasn't completely sure that they were the ones manufacturing Coupon cigarettes.

This building is actually still in use by a law firm: