NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default 1936 Yankees and Giants Pennants

Just wondering if anyone here got these. I made a play for the Yankees pennant, but did not get it. I have a couple of other 1936 dated Yankees pennants, but this is the most beautiful version I have seen and I don't believe I have seen this style before. I knew it would go for big money as this is an EXTREMELY rare and beautifully conditioned pennant. I also believe that these are original to that era and not modern. Others opinions may differ, but that is why I posted this. Other than the fact that there is not enough pennant talk on this forum.

What I want to get some opinions on is:

1. I have seen some of these before and there is belief that these styles of pennants were a premium done around 1936. I have seen others like this style, most obviously the 1919 Chicago Black Sox Champions pennant from the Halper collection. That is the only 1919 Sox version like this I have seen, but I have seen the 1920 Brooklyn Dodgers version on more than one occasion and in varying condition. I seem to recall other earlier to mid 1920's versions of this style of pennant (maybe Pirates?), but I do not recall seeing anything from then up to the mid 1930's. Does anyone have any others to show?

2. Does anyone have any additional info on the history or maker of these pennants? It is my belief that these were some kind of premium send in like the others white 1936 larger version of the mini 1936 Yankees Champions pennant. I do have this version in my collection and can post a photo if there is a need. There is just not enough of these seen to get a handle on where they come from.

Let the pennant talk begin, hopefully....Jason

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 07-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yep.... I got the Yankees. A very very pretty pennant, and I have no doubt that it is indeed of the time period. The design, materials and construction are all correct. There's no way that a modern reproducer or forger would bother with the metal grommets or be able to create that design.

With regard to the Yankee Pennant... I agree with you about the beauty. Something about those red graphics against the jet black felt really grabbed me. The Giants pennant was nice too, but its graphics had less contrast against the felt... a very common attribute from this particular series.

I thought the Yankees Pennant would go lots higher (was thinking $1,200 - $1,500) and was very pleased/surprised to get it for under $800. Sorry to top you on this one... if it's any consolation, there was still a bit of "play" in my snipe

Last edited by perezfan; 12-10-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:29 AM
James C
Dennis Choraz.yczewski

Perezfan- I think you actually overpaid for the pennant at $800.00. I purchased a blazing NMINT condition one a few years back for less than $500.00.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Wouldn't be the first time. Overpaying is my specialty

Last edited by perezfan; 12-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Mike

I don't feel like Mark overpaid at all on it. I think you just got a "steal" if you picked one up for 500.00 in the past. How many examples have ever been offered for sale? There must have been a very limited amount of these made for so few to show up for sale. These are the only others I have seen . Just a very interested series. At minimum they spanned 1920-1936. Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indians1920-2.jpg (38.3 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg dodgers1920-51.jpg (36.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg brown1930-1.jpg (50.8 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg pirates1920-51.jpg (22.1 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg wash1930-15.jpg (58.8 KB, 216 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Great post Mike...

Here's the '33 Senators Pennant from Legendary a while back. Actually went for a bit more than my '36 Yankees, and is in much rougher shape. Plus, I thought that a Pre-war Yankees World Champs Pennant like this should command a bit of an additional premium

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...ntoryid=151922
Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
Perezfan- I think you actually overpaid for the pennant at $800.00. I purchased a blazing NMINT condition one a few years back for less than $500.00.
Can you post a picture of it ?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Mike H.

I am VERY comfortable with Marks hammer price on this piece. It combines the critical elements of scarcity, aesthetics that are off the chart, an EPIC team with wealthy fans who collect memorabilia, condition, and a well executed unique design.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 PM
chris

+1
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I think you got a good deal too. I have been purchasing too much stuff lately to push it too hard. Either that or I need to refine my collection a little. As I said, I have two other 1936 versions (neither as good as this), but sometimes you just can't have them all. I really was thinking in that $1200 range too. Not sure where the other one came from for under $500 as I have seen just about every great pennant for sale either on Ebay or major auctions in the last 10-15 years and I never saw it. If you got it from a private party, congrats to you as I think you got a GREAT deal.

Thanks to Mike for posting those others. The Pirates and the Senators were the two others I was thinking of. No one has commented on thoughts about their origins. It seems too ironic that there are so few of these style pennants, but they span that much of a time period. Any thoughts on them being some kind of premium? I have never seen anything advertised for any of these though.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheykid54 View Post
Sayheykid -
When will you be posting your blazing NMINT 1936 Yankees pennant?
Looking forward to seeing it.

Jerry Sage
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Jerry, good to see you make a return for pennant talk. Merry Christmas
Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

I tend to think they are fully legit, i.e. made at the time of date on pennant. Of course I want to believe that, as I own a few like this. The only team pennants I have seen of this type *without* a championship noted are from the two St. Louis teams. Some are dated (I have '39 Browns and have seen '38, '39 Cardinals), others not dated. The older ones have the grommets that attach the tassels; the newer ones have one line of stitching at the wide end. None of them have that second strip of felt for holding a dowel.

If these pennants were all made at once, wouldn't they note a team's World Series championship instead of simply noting "champions" for both AL and NL teams (I own the '20 Dodgers and have seen the '20 Indians.) Also some pennant designs have lasted dozens of years. Consider that '55 WS pennant with the fancy feathering. That basic design lasted all the way to the early 80's.

As a side note I have never seen a super-old pennant from either the Cardinals or the Browns. Which makes me wonder if this is all a regional thing.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Good post, Greg...

I agree with all of it, except I have seen exactly one very early Cardinals Pennant (Oversized Teens) in 20+ years of collecting and obsessing over these.