NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 01-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Default Feedback Wanted on Hypothetical Auction Shipping Damage Scenario

I have a hypothetical situation involving an auction house purchase that I wanted to present, one that has probably been encountered in the past by others. I would like to see if I can get some constructive feedback on it.
Here it is:

A person wins an item through an auction house, pays for it in full including
the buyer’s premium. They receive the item and after opening the package find that it is damaged. They file a claim with the shipping company which is approved. Due to the nature of the filing process, the approved claim check has to pass through the auction house before getting to the customer who filed. The person is informed by the auction house that to receive the claim(money), the damaged item has to be returned to the auction house.
From a legal standpoint, does the customer have to return the item to the
auction house in order to receive the claim check? (Does the auction house have a legal right to withhold the claim check until the damaged item is
returned).The person has paid for it in full(including the handling, shipping & INSURANCE) and is the legal owner of it(and
has it in their possession). The auction house is not out of anything
financially. They have received full payment for the item from the customer(Which includes their buyer's premium fee) and any money being
returned to the customer is via the shipping company approved claim paid by the shipping company as a result of insurance paid for by the customer.

Any insight on this hypothetical situation would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Dave

Possibly, if the insurance company paid out the entire amount of the item, they may want the item in return, and the auction house has to forward to them.

Is it a full payoff, a partial payoff? Has the item been declared "totaled"?

or

Is this is not actually a "hypothetical"?

or

It is a hypothetical and somebody is wondering if they can receive a damaged item, get refunded fully for it, and then keep it.

Is there more to this story?
Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Possibly, if the insurance company paid out the entire amount of the item, they may want the item in return, and the auction house has to forward to them.

Is it a full payoff, a partial payoff? Has the item been declared "totaled"?

or

Is this is not actually a "hypothetical"?

or

It is a hypothetical and somebody is wondering if they can receive a damaged item, get refunded fully for it, and then keep it.

Is there more to this story?
Hi Dave...Good questions...I am looking forward to the response.

Jeff
Old 01-14-2017, 01:01 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I had an item get damaged in the US mail. It was insured. It was an ucut sheet of cards. It got creased because the flimsy tube was crushed. I picked it up at the post office so I saw it and immediately showed it to the counter person. I told them I wanted to file a claim but if they had to keep the sheet I would rather not. They said they only had to keep it until the postmaster inspected it. I got my insurance claim and got the sheet back. Maybe it was because I had a rapport at my local post office, I am not sure.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 01-14-2017, 01:19 PM

Let's say hypothetically only the hammer price..
Old 01-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybub View Post
Let's say hypothetically only the hammer price..
Then you would be hypothetically getting screwed out of the BP and shipping both ways with absolutely nothing to show for it. The AH would be making out like a bandit though.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I would expect to have to ship the item to the AH, and I would expect the AH to reimburse my entire payment. If I was told to eat the return postage, I wouldn't be thrilled, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I would expect to have to ship the item to the AH, and I would expect the AH to reimburse my entire payment. If I was told to eat the return postage, I wouldn't be thrilled, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.
+!