NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default Opinion on vintage photos

Its awesome to see more people getting interested in vintage photo collecting. Ive noticed in the last year it seems to be really taking off as more people are appreciating sports photography. Do you think photo collecting will continue to rise over time or does it seem like whats hot at the moment? I for one cant get enough of vintage sports photos and what they represent. Just would like to get peoples opinions on this.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think it is a field with great potential. Very affordable way to collect prewar or anything else, and there are some real gems out there, especially if you collect stuff other than baseball. The liquidation of news archives is flooding the market with great stuff so prices are very reasonable now even for first rate images.

I am really starting to appreciate snapshots. The first mass market cameras were issued around the turn of the last century so there were millions of amateurs out there shooting away even in the deadball era.

I also like the artwork that some newspapers and magazines made with photos and have started buying that too.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 AM
Dan Bretta

I used to have a huge snapshot collection...I collected them when not a lot of people did and you could get lots on ebay for pretty cheap...haven't really searched them out for a few years, but I get the feeling that they are no longer an overlooked area of collecting. Professional photos are great, but there's just something about the amateur snapshots that's very appealing to me.

I kept the ones that fit my collection.

photo DSC01971.jpg

photo DSC01975.jpg

c1910 Lincoln minor league game
c1910 Lincoln at Antelope Park photo lincolnball1.jpg

Wahoo Sam Crawford
Sam Crawford c1907 - Matty McIntyre Photo Collection photo crawford1.jpg

Clarence Mitchell
Clarence Mitchell photo 00newo22.jpg

Dazzy Vance
Dazzy Vance photo 00newo21.jpg

photo photo1948-2.jpg
Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 AM

Joey,
Even though I have a modest collection of vintage baseball photographs compared to others on this board, I'm with you that I very much enjoy this aspect of collecting.

I have seen what images you have been adding to your own collection that you've posted here on net54.

Answering your question though, I believe that no matter what you collect, you can never lose by collecting quality. Without question, the images that you are choosing are first rate by any measure.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-22-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:51 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

And there's a vast and varied photography world beyond sports too. Art photography, modern, historical, etc etc. The good thing is if you have a basic knowledge of old baseball photos you have a similar knowledge of similar non-sport photos-- Presidents, movies, etc. Movie photos are similar to sports press photos, and a cabinet card of Abe Lincoln will be similar to a baseball player cabinet card.

Modern photography is very interesting too.

St. Peterburg cabinet card of the Romanov Family by the official Royal photographer. Notice the text is Russian.

Union Generals Custor and Pleasanton in 1863

Lucky Luciano and his dog relaxing at the piano in Italy. Standard news photo from after he was deported.

1850s tintype of young man and his dog in original case

Original large 1990s negative for Chanel fashion catalog by Karl Lagerfeld. Digitally switched to positive image for viewing purposes.

The Romanov and Civil War Generals photos sold for around the $9,000-$12,000 each, as they are both exceptional and rare examples of historical photos. The Luciano news photo would be cheap. The Chanel negative would probably go for $100-$200 due to the famous photographer and model (Helena Christensen), that fashion photography is popular and it's a stylish image. That's my hand holding the dog tintype, but I don't know what it sold for or if it sold. I examined it for an auction house, but it never showed up in the catalog. Maybe the owner decided to keep it. Tintypes of animals are not common, but you see them around. As you can imagine, animals are always popular subjects with collectors.

Oh, and the Custer photo was professionally restored. It was deacified and the not shown backing is modern acid free paper. It's an original of a famous image that appears in a Custer biography.

Last edited by drcy; 12-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM
J Stone

Love the Lucky Luciano photo…the dog's got a "whadda YOU looking' at?" look. Gangsta Chi-hua-hua...
Old 12-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Mikeknapp

It’s no secret that I love baseball photos as well. However, I often find myself tempted by non-baseball images but have managed to fight the urge to purchase them. The only time I stray from baseball is when original images of Pancho Villa surface. For some reason I have to have them and cannot contain myself. Fortunately they don’t appear very often because when they do they tend to be much pricier than any of the baseball images I have added to my collection. The two examples below are from 1914 and are the most expensive original pictures I have purchased to date. I thought they look cool together and represented the changing times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pancho_Villa.jpg (69.5 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Villa.jpg (72.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 12-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Joey,
Even though I have a modest collection of vintage baseball photographs compared to others on this board, I'm with you that I very much enjoy this aspect of collecting.

I have seen what images you have been adding to your own collection that you've posted here on net54.

Answering your question though, I believe that no matter what you collect, you can never lose by collect collecting quality. Without question, the images that you are choosing are first rate by any measure.
Thank you very much scott. Your collection is top notch as well and its good to share the hobby with guys like you who can appreciate it. Would love to see some of your other favorite photos you have in your collection. You can pm me and ill send you some pics of my newest additions
Old 12-22-2013, 04:29 PM
David Buckingham

Love reading about and seeing these photos. Each one is so unique.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 PM
chris

Here's one of my favorite snaps. Spring training with the Reds in 1913. That's Dick Hoblitzell on the right...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131222_211518_881-1.jpg (68.3 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131222_211551_843-1.jpg (70.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM

I didn't think sports photography would gain traction at first, except for the early stuff (19th century), but I'm amazed at how it has taken off. I guess there is so much money out there in the pockets of sports collectors and limited amount of material that it is bound to spill over. I'll admit I've even started to get drawn into the non-commercial snapshots that are out there.

Rob M.

Jimmy Shields 1.jpg

1.jpg
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Yeah, the snapshots are fun. I'd not say they're completely overlooked but relative to other stuff, still quite a deal. Some I've picked up over the last year:

Rocky Marciano:

Joe Louis:

Gabby Hartnett:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-23-2013 at 12:39 PM.