NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default Forum Shopping within grading companies

So this card has me drooling (currently on Goodwin at $7,500). It is gorgeous. The back doesn't bother me a bit. But you know what does? This is a 5-figure card (or close to it), in a psa 5 holder, but if this card goes to sgc, it is a 1.5 due to the paper loss. Correct me if I am wrong here, but that has been my experience both personally, and from my observations.
The lack of consistency within grading companies themselves is bad enough, but now we have astronomically large differences from one grading company to another, which results in forum shopping! The card has paper loss? DONT SEND TO SGC! That card is a 5 to psa, but a 1.5 to SGC. You have a handcut Bazooka Mantle or Ruth BigHead? DONT SEND TO PSA, because they won't give a numeric grade. SGC WILL! They are different companies, and have every right to grade cards as they see fit. But these huge discrepancies bring the legitimacy and purpose of the grading process into question.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 941C1BE3-91DD-4EC1-B17E-C539F403AE6D.jpg (73.5 KB, 781 views)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:07 PM
pete ullman

totally agree. and if that's not bad enough...disparities amongst the different TPG'ers grading standards...its disparity amongst one TPG'ers standards over time...such as the case with PSA.

It's a big crock!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 12:13 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

One need to look no further than the biggest card in the hobby, which as we know should be be in an Authentic Trimmed holder!
Old 03-25-2017, 01:18 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

That's a misgrade by PSA. If you crack it out and send it back to PSA, it would get a 1.5 or 2.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:20 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
That's a misgrade by PSA. If you crack it out and send it back to PSA, it would get a 1.5 or 2.
See Pete's comment above.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
And let's assume for a second that is true. Let's say it's really a psa 2. Would guys shell-out 7500-plus on it? It's the SAME CARD isn't it? Only the holder has changed. Are we card collectors or are we flip collectors? It is such a joke, and we continue to feed into the myth by buying holders over cards.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:43 PM

JuST A Few Observations:

1st ~ When PSA were iN their Primal Stage
They would Boost their Grade Opinion to an Extreme!
There's NothiN "PROFESSIONAL" About THiS iN Any Way Shape or Form,
Hence the PSA 8 Wagner!

2nd ~ to Note PSA's Primal Beginnings We Should Look to the "Flip" itself,
It Tells us Alot!
THiS one of Mr. Cobb's wit a Green Background,
The PSA Flip is From Their "Primal Stage"...
Way Back THeN, THiS was a PSA 5 to Them,
At THaT Time, Some Even Agreed to THiS Standard.

If You Look at the "Rounded White Corners, Wit the Red Background"
THiS Configuration Tells us THaT "The Slab is Very Old!!!"

JuSt to End...
When it Comes to "Flips", I Only Remember the Basics
I Do Know THaT There are a Few Members oN Here
THaT Could Teach a Class oN "Flips: Bar Codes & Configurations"

https://goldinauctions.com/1909_11_T...-LOT29129.aspx
Old 03-25-2017, 02:59 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
And let's assume for a second that is true. Let's say it's really a psa 2. Would guys shell-out 7500-plus on it? It's the SAME CARD isn't it? Only the holder has changed. Are we card collectors or are we flip collectors? It is such a joke, and we continue to feed into the myth by buying holders over cards.
That's true BUT you can argue that if that card were graded a 2, it would have superior eye appeal to practically any other green Cobb that was graded a 2. So even card collectors (and not flip collectors) would still value the card significantly above the average VCP for a 2. Saying all of that, I don't think the card should sell for what a 5 does.

Last edited by glchen; 03-25-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
That's true BUT you can argue that if that card were graded a 2, it would have superior eye appeal to practically any other green Cobb that was graded a 2. So even card collectors (and not flip collectors) would still value the card significantly above the average VCP for a 2. Saying all of that, I don't think the card should sell for what a 5 does.
Agree with Gary.

That card is a 2 at best. A nice visually 2 and will sell at a large premium...but no more a 5 than a 10.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:54 PM
keith janosky

The amount of money these grading companies make a year is unreal and people keep feeding them more of it just to have a number and a slab for there card. If that card was without a holder and you tried to sell it verses some clown slabbing it and putting a number on it that he decides and only him so now it's 2 maybe 3 times as much in value? Maybe even more depending on who it is. All because it's slabbed with a number. When you think about the grading companies and only them deciding what the value of a card is because there is some number on a slab it hard to make sense of it. Another words basicly 3 companies controlling the whole market and what the value of cards are. Can't we do that on our own? It's funny when a guy wants to have a card reslabbed to see about a higher number or he'll say PSA will get me more money than SGC. Right there it's all about the slab and not the card so fueling the grading companies more money. They have to sit back and just love it.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:43 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Definitely an old grade. What the seller should do is send it back in to PSA and have them refund the difference of what they paid and whatever the card is worth as a PSA 2 (which I would expect it to grade now).

Is the white spot on the front also a tiny paper loss? If so, it might be a 1.5 now at PSA. Does the back actually have paper loss or is it possibly a print defect? There seems to be mild discoloration where paper loss would be, but I don't see any tears.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:48 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Definitely an old grade. What the seller should do is send it back in to PSA and have them refund the difference of what they paid and whatever the card is worth as a PSA 2 (which I would expect it to grade now).

Is the white spot on the front also a tiny paper loss? If so, it might be a 1.5 now at PSA. Does the back actually have paper loss or is it possibly a print defect? There seems to be mild discoloration where paper loss would be, but I don't see any tears.
You can expand the card fairly large in this link posted earlier.
https://goldinauctions.com/1909_11_T...LOT29129.aspx#
Old 03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Dave

There's TWO obvious spots of paper loss and glue residue on the back. Not tobacco..........glue.

It was obviously soaked out of an album or scrapbook.

I thought I was annoyed when I picked up a 1960 Jim Brown PSA 7 without a scan of the back and found the back centering was like 120/-20 when I had it in hand.

If I spent that kind of money on a PSA5 Cobb, and it showed up looking like that, I'd be furious. Luckily there's a nice back scan on that listing so you can judge for yourself.

That said, I've never sent in a card to a TPG in my life, though I've occasionally bought graded cards, and there is certainly a benefit to their existence.

I've been around long enough to remember the old wild west days of SCD and Card Shows when one dealers NM was another dealers VG was another dealers EX was another dealers GD/VG.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Thanks. I read about one earlier, but wasn't sure they were talking about the same one. Grading from 20 years ago is a little different than today. Definitely should be sent back by the new owner for a rebate. Nice that it's also a factory 30 card...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:13 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

When thinking about grading companies, you always have to keep one thing in mind. It's a business.

Baseball itself (except for specific things like ground rules at certain stadiums), is governed by universal rules. An out is an out and a home run is a home run, no matter where you are playing. The rules are codified. When an expansion team enters the league, they, too, play by the same exact rules as everyone else.

But that is not the case with grading companies. They do not share standards that fall under universal guidelines. What's an 8 to PSA may not be an 8 to SGC or any other company. They are not grading cards by using the same specific rules, so there will never be uniformity. Quite frankly, graders can do whatever they want and apply their own standards to the task at hand, just like Ford conducts business differently than Chevrolet.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Ford and Chevy CREATE their own product. In the case of grading companies, they EVALUATE an already existing product. And unlike Ford and Chevy, the decisions made by these graders as to the condition of a product could mean tens of thousands of dollars on one card. I didn't mean in my post to imply that they should conduct their businesses identically. I am saying that us collectors are putting too much stock into their opinions by putting too much value on flips. Their divergent grading policies and arbitrary means of valuation was at the heart of my post. It has gotten to the point where we ship cards to particular companies depending on the particular flaw. Trimmed? Send to BVG and cross your fingers. Paper loss? Send to psa. Handcut? Sgc is your company. We are hungrily feasting on their opinions, rather than judging the cards for ourselves. We are paying 200k for a 52 Willie Mays 9 that looks virtually idenntical, and in some cases not as nice, as many 7s or 8s. This Green Cobb was one of many of my observations about the insanity of grade-worship. I, for one, WISH that Cobb were a 2; I would buy it happily at a fraction of the price that it will inevitably sell for.

Last edited by orly57; 03-25-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

For those that didn't see/read it, I did this little experiment just a short time ago. (These were purchased already graded)
2 were recent/newly graded, which was a surprise to me as I always found older graded to be graded less harsh. From what I have seen lately, PSA has lessened/lowered their standard or they are screwing up bad lately.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235854

Regardless, none of my cards will be sent to PSA anytime soon.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Ford and Chevy CREATE their own product. In the case of grading companies, they EVALUATE an already existing product. And unlike Ford and Chevy, the decisions made by these graders as to the condition of a product could mean tens of thousands of dollars on one card. I didn't mean in my post to imply that they should conduct their businesses identically. I am saying that us collectors are putting too much stock into their opinions by putting too much value on flips. Their divergent grading policies and arbitrary means of valuation was at the heart of my post. It has gotten to the point where we ship cards to particular companies depending on the particular flaw. Trimmed? Send to BVG and cross your fingers. Paper loss? Send to psa. Handcut? Sgc is your company. We are hungrily feasting on their opinions, rather than judging the cards for ourselves. We are paying 200k for a 52 Willie Mays 9 that looks virtually idenntical, and in some cases not as nice, as many 7s or 8s. This Green Cobb was one of many of my observations about the insanity of grade-worship. I, for one, WISH that Cobb were a 2; I would buy it happily at a fraction of the price that it will inevitably sell for.
Well you dont go by the grade on the holder when you bid..so there are probably others like you that wont bid as much due to the paperloss so the card wont get what other 5s would get. We have seen super 3's sell for 2 grades higher as well so i dont think this is such a big deal. Someone that is just buying the number 5 wont be able to sell it to people like you for a price he likes.

Its still better than no grading company. How many returns would there be when a seller says a card is near mint and the buyer upon holding the card argues its only excellent. Would be ridiculous. People already return graded cards as it is but it would be much worse if all cards were raw in regards to returning cards due to not being described accurately
Old 03-25-2017, 09:34 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

I agree with you there Jake. There are a lot of smart collectors out there who will pay over vcp on exceptional cards, and often times crappy cards sell under vcp. Even if this were a 2, it would have gotten STRONG bids well over vcp.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 AM

Default Matty's Tale of TPG's ~ Revisited ~

JuST Because...

I Sent iN my E95 of The "BiG SiX"
About a Year Ago...

To All 3 TPG's!!!

Here is WHaT THeY Thought...

"WHat Do You THiNK!?!?"

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ale+of+tpg%27s
Old 03-26-2017, 02:00 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
I'm confused. You're acting like for some reason you disagree with my post, but I'm saying exactly what you're saying. The graders don't use the same standards, so there are always going to be reasons why number-chasing people choose one over the other. And my remark about Ford and Chevy was obviously in regard to the fact that they are both in the same business, yet do things differently (just like grading companies 'do the same thing' but differently). It doesn't matter that they CREATE their own product instead of EVALUATING an already existing product. That has nothing to do with my point.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

It may seem that way because I made the distinction, but you are right, we are basically in agreement.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
It may seem that way because I made the distinction, but you are right, we are basically in agreement.
Aw, c'mon man, we need a "fight" today on the main board.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Aw, c'mon man, we need a "fight" today on the main board.
No matter what you are collecting, be it hummells or yadro pieces or Victorian music boxes, people are always going to go nuts and pay a small fortune where someone can say this is 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 graded by so and so agency. Human nature.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:

In the older cards, obviously a lot of the premiums for even small grade bumps has to do with the pop reports.

But those are dangerous assumptions people make. Not only are there ungraded cards in collections that, if/when graded would alter the pop reports, but there are likely still attic finds that will do the same. I would never play that lottery but many do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

FWIW I sent in an N28 in very similar condition last year (a bit more back damage but no staining) and it got a 2 from PSA.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-27-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
No matter what you are collecting, be it hummells or yadro pieces or Victorian music boxes, people are always going to go nuts and pay a small fortune where someone can say this is 1 of 1 or 1 of 2 graded by so and so agency. Human nature.
I used to get my music boxes slabbed, but it made them hard to hear.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:39 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I used to get my music boxes slabbed, but it made them hard to hear.
... and comic books are hard to read when they are graded too.

I cannot wait until someone starts grading video games and DVD's, and sealing them in slabs.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:49 AM
Glyn Parson

Default video games

they do slab video games.

https://cgagrading.com/VideoGameGrader/default.aspx

Last edited by glynparson; 03-28-2017 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:12 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Look who made his way into a new holder and is currently on eBay. When it sold at Goldin in April, I posted this thread. You can see the pic in the old holder in post #1. The card is gorgeous, but with the paper loss, "there is no way it's a 5 in a NEW holder," we thought!. Looks like psa didn't want to take the hit and pay the difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33070FC2-B87B-4F6C-A069-DF44C98F2454.jpg (68.2 KB, 225 views)

Last edited by orly57; 08-04-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

At least it didn't bump to a 5.5.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
At least it didn't bump to a 5.5.
me and 2000 other guys just laughed.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Jeff

Ridiculous.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-04-2017, 05:09 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
me and 2000 other guys just laughed.
Don't get it. From another thread?
Old 08-04-2017, 07:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Would have both of these cards, in number sequence, (98, 99) been graded by the same grader?
Personally, I give up trying to figure out card grading!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-TOPPS-ED...kAAOSwr7tZgqgH
Old 08-04-2017, 07:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Grading companies miss things. Why does this call into question the legitimacy of the whole industry? Doctors miss things sometimes. So do lawyers. So do people who draft players for the NFL. The folks at NASA missed something a few years ago that led to a terrible tragedy. Judges, teachers and detective miss things. So people post examples here of stuff that was mishandled. What does this prove other than every human endeavor is subject to human error?
Old 08-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Grading companies miss things. Why does this call into question the legitimacy of the whole industry? Doctors miss things sometimes. So do lawyers. So do people who draft players for the NFL. The folks at NASA missed something a few years ago that led to a terrible tragedy. Judges, teachers and detective miss things. So people post examples here of stuff that was mishandled. What does this prove other than every human endeavor is subject to human error?
To be fair, I don't think Orlando is complaining about the missed grade so much as people being slaves to the flip in terms of how much they pay.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
In my opinion, this goes on and on far too often. I am unsure how many TPG's PSA employs but you would think it was a 100 or more based on the grading discrepancies that one sees far too often.

Look at those cards I just posted above, 98 and 99. There is no way both are 4's. Miller is either a 2-3 or Pellagrini is a 5-6. Even the back on the Miller is stained and Pellagrini's is clean.

Color me confused, but this inconsistency, over and over again, leads me to believe these guys don't really know what they are doing.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:01 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
To be fair, I don't think Orlando is complaining about the missed grade so much as people being slaves to the flip in terms of how much they pay.
Thanks Peter, but not this time. This card actually sold for only 9k in April (with BP),so people took the paper loss into consideration and didn't pay "5-prices." I just recognized a card I posted about monthsback and realized it was in a new holder. I was shocked to find that it made it into the new holder at a 5 despite the obvious paper loss. So I guess PSA made the same mistake TWICE. This appears to be ok with Steve, so there is nothing to see here.

Last edited by orly57; 08-04-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Thanks Peter, but not this time. This card actually sold for only 9k in April (with BP),so people took the paper loss into consideration. I just recognized a card I posted about monthsback and realized it was in a new holder. I was shocked to find that it made it into the new holder at a 5 despite the obvious paper loss. So I guess PSA made the same mistake TWICE. This appears to be ok with Steve, so there is nothing to see here.
I am not sure it gets much if any review on reholder.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I am not sure it gets much if any review on reholder.
As long as the slab is not compromised there is no review of the card.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Would have both of these cards, in number sequence, (98, 99) been graded by the same grader?
Personally, I give up trying to figure out card grading!
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-TOPPS-ED...kAAOSwr7tZgqgH
Irv, it's the same card. It's the same serial number. It WAS in an old psa holder at a 5. Then it was sent to re-slab and psa left it at a 5 rather than correcting the mistake. It's not a big deal, because, after all, they are human.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
As long as the slab is not compromised there is no review of the card.
I personally know a board member who sent in for a reholder and they knocked his 51 mantle like 2 grades. They apologized, and told him they couldn't allow that error to continue. They paid him the difference.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I personally know a board member who sent in for a reholder and they knocked his 51 mantle like 2 grades. They apologized, and told him they couldn't allow that error to continue. They paid him the difference.
Never heard of that happening. Glad to know they do it sometimes and refunded the difference. It still had to really suck for the owner of the rookie Mantle.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Peter Spaeth

I am much more concerned about altered cards in holders than overgraded ones. We can spot the overgrading from scans for the most part and bid/pay accordingly. Highly skilled alteration, much less frequently.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-05-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:35 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Irv, it's the same card. It's the same serial number. It WAS in an old psa holder at a 5. Then it was sent to re-slab and psa left it at a 5 rather than correcting the mistake. It's not a big deal, because, after all, they are human.
I have heard that before, and that's only part of the problem I see with TPG's, namely PSA. Like has been talked about, that card should have never been graded a 5, but, as you say, it's a human factor, but it's hard to believe, unless the owner specifically requested no grading change, that PSA didn't correct it when it had the chance.

The 2 cards I posted just reiterated my thoughts about grading in general. I have seen many that make me scratch my head but thinking those 2 were likely graded by the same person, it just reconfirms my thoughts that grading has turned into a joke, if it wasn't already?

I think of the Dimaggio card with PWCC, and all the others I have seen since joining the site.
I have, time and time again, thought about getting some of my high number/value cards graded but based on what I have seen, they could grade at 2's or could grade at 5-6's? I am not about to take the chance, and that's all it is, nor spend all that money knowing my cards could come back at such a low grade. It simply isn't worth it, imo, and will add no value to my cards if they do.

Of course, I could roll the dice, but I'm not much of a gambler, and hope they come back at least 4-5's? It's frustrating, especially after you think you have educated yourself only to see what you have learned get thrown right out the window again.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Never heard of that happening. Glad to know they do it sometimes and refunded the difference. It still had to really suck for the owner of the rookie Mantle.
You would think so, lol, but he was actually thrilled. He got the card on the cheap because it was clearly overgraded. If I recall correctly, he was only into the card for like $1600 after psa cut him the check.