NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-09-2015, 08:31 PM
chris

Default Help Identifying: Circa 1911 Cincinnati Reds Player

Anyone out there know who this may be? I know this is a 1911 Reds uni, but it could have been taken a few years later due to the fact its a spring training shot. Thanks.

Don Stokes ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circa 1911 reds pic 2.jpg (76.7 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg circa 1911 reds pic.jpg (73.7 KB, 226 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Anyone out there know who this may be? I know this is a 1911 Reds uni, but it could have been taken a few years later due to the fact its a spring training shot.
It resembles Armando Marsans, who joined the Reds in 1911.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:15 AM
chris

It appears you may be correct :^)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 AM
T. Scott Brandon

It is not Marsans. Here he is in 1913 and 1916, respectively. Note the left (viewer's right) ear, nose shape and lips, among other distinguishing characteristics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Armando_Marsans_(1913_Reds).jpg (27.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Armando_Marsans_(1916_Browns)_3.jpg (58.9 KB, 186 views)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:53 AM
Kevin O'Gara

I agree
Old 02-10-2015, 10:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnfoto View Post
It is not Marsans. Here he is in 1913 and 1916, respectively. Note the left (viewer's right) ear, nose shape and lips, among other distinguishing characteristics.
One of the things that always gets me is how much difference there can be even when the subject is known.

For instance the two pictures shown, the distance between the eyes compared to the distance between the mouth and eyes is different. I wouldn't think that's something that would change especially over only three years, but there it is.

It's a good thing I don't have to rely on my abilities in this field. I'd probably starve.

Steve B
Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Mark

Jim Bagby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jim bagby.jpg (41.3 KB, 97 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 02-12-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 PM
chris

Thanks Again, Mark
Old 02-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
One of the things that always gets me is how much difference there can be even when the subject is known.

For instance the two pictures shown, the distance between the eyes compared to the distance between the mouth and eyes is different. I wouldn't think that's something that would change especially over only three years, but there it is.
Steve B
Steve - I don't agree. These dimensions would not change, and the photos do not indicate that they have.

Keeping in mind that only approximate measurement comparison is possible, you first have to get the relative scale right. In this case you have to consider that the face on the left is turned a bit to his left and also tilted forward compared to the face in the photo on the right, which is of poor quality. I've matched the distance from eyes (approximating where the pupils should be) to the base of the nose. This is as I said approximate. This is better than matching the distance from eyes to mouths because mouths can move.

Note that the two light blue lines are the exactly the same size. You can use them to compare the respective distances across the foreheads - they are very close. Similarly the 2 yellow lines are exactly the same size - they indicate that the respective distances between the irises are also pretty close.

Lastly, for the face on the right the bottom of the chin is a little lower, but it's easy enough to open one's jaws somewhat while keeping the mouth closed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marsans.jpg (68.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 02-12-2015 at 10:44 PM.