NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Help ID a White Sox and Cub Player???

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Anyone have an idea who this guy might be? There is writing at the bottom of one photo that says "Uncle Bill Star Pitcher". The Cubs uniform appears to be from between 1919-1924 and the White Sox Uniform appears to be from between 1922-1929. Any help appreciated.

I also have no clue who the other Sox Player/Manager? is.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC McKenzie

Could the Cub's player be Bill Killefer? It kinda looks like he has a catcher's mitt on.

edit to add this..
...here's Killefer from 1918, doesn't really look like the above photo...

Old 04-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Administrator

I'm certain the guy in the Cubs photo and the Sox photos are all the same guy....they all came from the same auction so it wouldn't be Killefer. I also think the glove is a first basemen's mitt.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike H

Dan, did you find those in another estate auction or ebay? You are one of the top hidden treasure collectors I know! Congrats.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:55 AM
Administrator

Hi Mike. I found them on ebay years ago. Yesterday I was bored and started digging out some old unidentified photos to see if I could identify any of them.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Hey Dan, pretty puzzling..I am fairly sure the Cub uniform in the top photo is 1925 and (maybe I'm off here and you're right?) the Sox uniforms are mid-teens. Seems as if (it is the same guy) the Cub player looks older. Then the "star pitcher" throws you off with that glove? It's definitely not Killefer, left as Cub mgr. to St. Louis and never any Sox affiliation that I'm aware of.
My original instinct was of Billy Piercy who was a pitcher and retired in '26...but then again, why that mitt? And don't think any Sox connection unless he went as a coach after '26...but that throws off my Sox uniform date unless I'm off? Weird one..

Old 04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Kern

The Sox player on the right in the bottom photo is most probably Red Faber. Can't come up with anything for the other. Looks too old to be a player, but no intersecting White Sox/Cubs coaches that I found in that era.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

David, thank you....I think you are right that the guy in the bottom photo on the right is Urban Faber. He's almost a dead-ringer for Faber in the photos I found on the net.