NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
I don’t generally take any advice that is given with only 10,000 % certainty. My closest friends and advisors never give me anything less than 14,000-15,000 % probability, and sometimes my wife will even go as high as 20,000 % on her advice.

Until today, I didn't know someone could be more than one hundred percent confident of something being authentic. With that said, nine hundred ninety-nine point nine percent seems pretty amazing, so I'll take your word for it...anything that is 10 times higher than the previously-known maximum is good enough for me.

When corporate shills post here they tend to hyperbole just a tiny little bit.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-05-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I know but I was making the claim that the PSA cases are just plain ugly on a display.
Completely agree.

The slab itself is ugly, the wrinkled cellophane is hideous, and the Bar Code has no place in a vintage memorabilia display. By their very nature, bar codes clash with vintage items. I much prefer a simple screw-down holder (which PSA always discourages because of self-serving reasons.).
Old 06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
$cotty @.utin

Terrible picture, but I like how my display came out

I hung it next to this set of early 1900s hand-drawn plays

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 06-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Completely agree.

The slab itself is ugly, the wrinkled cellophane is hideous, and the Bar Code has no place in a vintage memorabilia display. By their very nature, bar codes clash with vintage items. I much prefer a simple screw-down holder (which PSA always discourages because of self-serving reasons.).
++++++++

Self serving? PSA? Oh my goodness,,, I learn something new here every single day
Thanks so much Mark for informing me.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-06-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:03 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
Terrible picture, but I like how my display came out

I hung it next to this set of early 1900s hand-drawn plays

You know what i dont like...Is that PSA couldnt even bother to take the time to put all your tickets in the holders facing the same direction...
That way the barcode is on the same side on every one...So lazy...
Andy
Old 06-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Again, not to defend the TPGs but I was very pleased with the care that PSA took in handling this ticket. The ticket was delicate and very tough to find (I've only seen two of them) and they did a good job for their fee. I felt it was a good value and I am very pleased with the result, especially since I can stop worrying about damaging the ticket with my klutz kung fu:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-07-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:40 PM
keith janosky

Yeah why is it that PSA doesn't put tickets or whatever they slab in the same direction so all the labels are the same way? Makes no sense to just put the item in a slab with no regard to the direction of the label unless the customer asks for it in a certain direction. Say cards all on the right and the rest on left as an example. I have multiple things I wanted to display where the labels were in opposite direction and had to have them reslabbed. I bought the items already slabbed so it wasn't my fault not telling them. Stupid
Old 06-07-2016, 01:51 PM
Richard Simon

If I buy something in a slab,,, here is my solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hammer-image-0025.jpg (3.0 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg animated-hammer-image-0025.jpg (3.0 KB, 332 views)
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 06-07-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:33 PM
Taylor Hamilton

All very helpful... seems split 50/50. Quite the polarizing topic. In my view, there is no harm in getting slabbed. And $125 is smart for the investment. The ticket is off to PSA!

Stay tuned!
Old 06-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Grade just popped. Pretty pumped... It got a psa 3. Only 8 copies have registered higher. Can't wait to get it back in the mail!!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:11 PM

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Now it's something it wasn't before.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi David
Per the rules, at the top of every page in bold letters, please put your full name in your posts when giving opinions.Thanks.

BTW, I don't think grading a ticket is a bad thing. Heck if it increases the value more than the grading cost I would say it's a win. I picked this one up already graded. Not a ticket, and shown a few times before, but close enough for this argument....

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalimey View Post
Hi my name is David
I am an actual PSA consultant when it pertains to Regular Season Yankee Tickets , in my opinion you should 10000% get this slabbed by PSA and no other company please regardless of price savings
to make sure it is authentic , I was watching this ticket on sell on ebay
I personally know two of the bidders you were up against they would know it was real hence their bids , I give it a 999.9 % of being real however as far as condition by the looks of the ticket it has some rounded corners maybe a possible dinged corner, soiled slightly round the edges but I cannot tell if it has any wrinkles or creases based on none of these issues it would come back as a VG 2 maybe a VG 3 but not much higher they grade by the same strict standards as a Baseball card
FYI you have to pay a $100 extra to get it done in ten working days, also the valuation for insurance based in price paid
for $50 it is 45 working days which actually can take longer
bottom line your into it for nearly 3 grand so for a couple of hundred more
its slabbed in tamper evident casing you then can show it to your to whoever with out fear of being damaged or mishandled , what ever you do not put it in a screw down plastic holder , any questions contact me
thanks David

Last edited by Leon; 06-30-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Hamilton View Post
Grade just popped. Pretty pumped... It got a psa 3. Only 8 copies have registered higher. Can't wait to get it back in the mail!!
Congrats, and nice pickup.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:40 PM
Davi.d Sha.kir

Default PSA or not

Hi in my opinion getting PSA authenticated does several positive things
and here are the PROS's
most important, A shows its Genuine to the average Layman with the PSA Label noting the event
B: encapsulated which preserves its current condition ,
C: you can show it to all all your friends with out fear of damage or poor handling
D: it will be eventually sold to some one else unless your planning on living for ever or your family will want to cherish it , its not like you went to the game, so it will get at least a Fair shot of maximum price either on ebay or any other of the major auction houses
these are the PROS !!!!!!!!
here are the con's , sorry cannot think of any maybe the paltry minor cost of about $75 to get it authenticated ,
Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

David,
I am not sure why you felt the need to answer this thread again.
Obviously you like slabbing because you work for PSA and have a vested interest in people continuing to do so. My assumption is that you posted so that it would be the last post in the thread that people would read perhaps without reading all the posts above.
If you read many of the posts above you will see how each of your points has been shown to be without merit.

Let me help summarize...
Quote:

A: shows its Genuine to the average Layman with the PSA Label noting the event
In significant as the majority of the people buying this type of ticket will know what they are looking for.

Quote:
B: encapsulated which preserves its current condition ,
So can any $5 holder.

Quote:
C: you can show it to all all your friends with out fear of damage or poor handling
So can any $5 holder. Plus if someone is idiot enough to let their friends handle a ticket of this magnitude without it being in some holder they are the ones to blame for any damage.

Quote:
D: it will be eventually sold to some one else unless your planning on living forever or your family will want to cherish it , its not like you went to the game, so it will get at least a Fair shot of maximum price either on ebay or any other of the major auction houses
Considering that research that was done above showed that unslabbed versions of this ticket actually sold for more than slabbed versions, I am not sure how you can actually think it is logical to make the exact opposite conclusion.

Quote:
here are the con's , sorry cannot think of any maybe the paltry minor cost of about $75 to get it authenticated ,
Perhaps you can't think of any because you work for PSA in their ticket division.

Anyway, for people reading, slab if you wish. It's your money to spend. I don't see the value, as I would rather spend the money, spent on slabs, to buy more stuff. Either way buy what you enjoy.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-22-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:26 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Well said!

I can think of a con.... The slabs are ugly.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM
Taylor Hamilton

I started the thread... And I will close it...I got the ticket stub slabbed for peace of mind... It's in a tamper proof case, it got a psa 3 (only 8 graded higher) and it's a great item in my collection! Thanks to all who helped with opinions and thoughts... It's discussions like these that make the community so great!

Now on to the next find:-)

Last edited by T_Hamilton; 08-23-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I started the thread... And I will close it...I got the ticket stub slabbed for peace of mind... It's in a tamper proof case, it got a psa 3 (only 8 graded higher) and it's a great item in my collection! Thanks to all who helped with opinions and thoughts... It's discussions like these that make the community so great!

Now on to the next find:-)
You drank the Kool Aide, Taylor. Only eight graded higher? Oooh... I hope you understand that that does not mean there are only eight better. You have no idea how many may exist in better condition. How many are owned by sophisticated collectors who don't need some spotty-faced kid working for PSA to sell them his opinion.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:51 AM
J0n@th@n P@rker

IMHO items encapsulated are very ugly when displayed, and I usually crack them out if I buy somthing encapsulate. I also try not to waste my money to get things authenticated, graded, etc cause I feel it is a waste of money (I don't sell anything so I'm not worried about increasing the value right now). Besides I trust the opinions of the members on this board way, way more the PSA or JSA. I went to a local card show recently and they hyped up that JSA was going to be there authenticating. They had 2 kids maybe no more then 22 years old authenticating items. I have been collecting longer then that.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

fwiw. I get my tickets done by SGC. They don't grade them, just authenticate them. I know they are athentic already, but those cases make any ticket look beautiful and much more presentable. How can you grade a ticket with a clear background? it does not make any sense. nothing stands out. I don't even do it for resell, I do it so everything looks identical and beautifully presentable (OCD)
Old 08-24-2016, 11:51 AM
qu@n nguy3n

c'mon guys. if the OP didn't get it graded, he wouldn't have known there are only 8 copies graded higher. i think that's the important part here.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
c'mon guys. if the OP didn't get it graded, he wouldn't have known there are only 8 copies graded higher. i think that's the important part here.
Why is that important? As I said before, that doesn't mean that there are only eight better. It simply means that only eight owners of better tickets--out of all the other better tickets there may be--were needy enough that they had to have their egos stroked by PSA.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Taylor Hamilton

same thing with cards... why bother to get them graded? a discerning eye can tell the difference.

Yes, I am well aware that there are not 8 better copies... but I also know that the PSA sample size gives me and other collectors a good idea of where the condition ranges on this stub... maybe my stub isnt 9th best, but based on PSA distribution, you can make the case it is probably in the top 20% condition wise of all copies out there, both graded and non graded
Old 08-24-2016, 12:04 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

But who's to say those eight are really even 'better'? It depends largely upon which person graded it, and other random factors.

I honestly couldn't tell whether Quan's comment was serious or sarcastic.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-24-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
same thing with cards... why bother to get them graded? a discerning eye can tell the difference.

Yes, I am well aware that there are not 8 better copies... but I also know that the PSA sample size gives me and other collectors a good idea of where the condition ranges on this stub... maybe my stub isnt 9th best, but based on PSA distribution, you can make the case it is probably in the top 20% condition wise of all copies out there, both graded and non graded
No, you can't. You have no idea how many ungraded stubs exist. Nor are the ones graded a random sample. They represent only insecure owners.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 PM
qu@n nguy3n

sorry sarcasm, should've added . i'm the last to tell anybody how to spend their money, i just found it funny how stuck on "only 8 graded higher" the OP was he needed to remind us in every post. but if the whole experience makes him happy then money well spent.

personally i think the grading game for cards/autographs is great for flipping. many people won't buy a raw card or autograph, and would often pay 3x-5x for the flip. other than that i don't need PSA or SGC to tell me how real or nice my cards/autos are.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
They represent only insecure owners.
Or owners who like to protect their investment, owners who aren't experts in ticket authentication, owners who are reasonably skeptical of Internet transactions, owners who are trying to profit off of their purchase or even owners who enjoy collecting graded tickets.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:30 PM
Chris

Quote:

I would tend to think that people are more likely to grade the better looking examples and that there would be a disproportionate number of the better looking stubs graded compared with lesser condition examples.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Taylor Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I would tend to think that people are more likely to grade the better looking examples and that there would be a disproportionate number of the better looking stubs graded compared with lesser condition examples.
Even better for my graded example!
Old 08-24-2016, 01:52 PM

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Your ticket keeps getting better and better. Without changing at all.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

How about the fact that getting it graded shows that it has not been altered.
That would be my concern . I would think a raw ticket off eBay could be trimmed , recolored or doctored in some way. I know of o was dropping a few grand it would be nice to know it was unaltered.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:45 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
Or owners who like to protect their investment, owners who aren't experts in ticket authentication, owners who are reasonably skeptical of Internet transactions, owners who are trying to profit off of their purchase or even owners who enjoy collecting graded tickets.
I don't know why people continue spouting the same old stuff. Despite the fact that the TPAs and their proponents keep saying it, getting a ticket graded DOES NOT protect your investment. As a perfect example. the OP bought this ungraded ticket for more than any graded ticket of the same game has sold in the past few years. So how exactly did grading raise or protect the value of his ticket. If anything, the exact opposite happened. His purchase raised the value of theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
I tend to disagree with this as well. I think what is correct is that ones sold through auction houses are more likely to be graded as it is the standard operating procedure of most auction houses to grade/authenticate/slab everything they can to try and eliminate any responsibility they have for anything. Plus by promoting the propaganda about how being authenticated makes thing more valuable, they can inflate bids and make more money. The items haven't changed, but the prices have because someone you know nothing about, hiding behind a large corporation, has given their stamp of approval.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:49 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post

someone you know nothing about, hiding behind a large corporation, has given their stamp of approval.
For all we know the "someone" is a twelve year old boy who is flipping a coin to help him decide what grade to give.
I have always found it very annoying that they cloak the identities of authenticators behind closed doors and blanket certs. What are they afraid of, daylight is good.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 08-24-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
I don't know why people continue spouting the same old stuff. Despite the fact that the TPAs and their proponents keep saying it, getting a ticket graded DOES NOT protect your investment. As a perfect example. the OP bought this ungraded ticket for more than any graded ticket of the same game has sold in the past few years. So how exactly did grading raise or protect the value of his ticket. If anything, the exact opposite happened. His purchase raised the value of theirs.
All the tickets that have been linked to this thread have been graded without a numeric grade. A PSA 2 sold ten days ago for $3,900.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lo..._cubs_ticket_s

So there, PSA protects your investment.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:14 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Glad you were able to finally find ONE singular example to prove your point.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
All the tickets that have been linked to this thread have been graded without a numeric grade. A PSA 2 sold ten days ago for $3,900.

https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lo..._cubs_ticket_s

So there, PSA protects your investment.
Just goes to show that there are still some people out there who drink the Kool Aid without asking questions.
--
Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Glad you were able to finally find ONE singular example to prove your point.
Here's the worlds ugliest ticket getting $3,100 because it's a PSA 2:
https://goldinauctions.com/mobile/lo...called_shot__g

It has a program with it, but the program isn't worth particularly much.

If you can find a PSA 3 or higher Called Shot ticket go for less than $2,800 you would have some sort of argument I guess. You seem convinced though, so could you send a link?

Last edited by jhs5120; 08-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
It has a program with it, but the program isn't worth particularly much.
Oh, really? It's a scored Game 3 program. It's worth quite a bit.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Here's the worlds ugliest ticket getting $3,100 because it's a PSA 2
There's a sucker born every minute.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Just goes to show that there are still some people out there who drink the Kool Aid without asking questions.
Just a hobbiest who knows how the world works and isn't bitter about it.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Oh, really? It's a scored Game 3 program. It's worth quite a bit.
Maybe $500-600. The lot sold for $3,100 so the ticket sold for around $2,500-2,600. Are you saying that this ticket would've sold for more if It weren't graded? It's missing an entire corner and looks burnt. Far nicer raw tickets have gone for less.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

There is no reason to continue this discussion with you if you think a scored WS game program from the Called Shot game isn't particularly valuable. If you really think that, then there is nothing else to discuss.
There are many more of that ticket in existence than scored programs from that game. An advanced Ruth or WS collector would likely pay as much, perhaps more, for it than the ticket. The tickets are desirable, but aren't really rare. OTOH, I can't remember ever seeing a scored program from that game. Not being sarcastic, but does anyone know of an example of a scored program from that game being sold previously? IF so, do you know when it was and how much it sold for?

Old 08-24-2016, 03:40 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Maybe $500-600. The lot sold for $3,100 so the ticket sold for around $2,500-2,600. Are you saying that this ticket would've sold for more if It weren't graded? It's missing an entire corner and looks burnt. Far nicer raw tickets have gone for less.
Which leads to entire other point about how stupid ticket grading is. If tickets are graded using the same scale as cards, which is what was posted earlier in this thread, how in the world did that one get a 2? What cards do you know of looking burnt and missing corners that would get a 2? Even more of a sham.

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-24-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:40 PM

The ticket is worth 2500+ The program is worth aRond $500 ... I've owned 5 or more of both... True only a few were scored... The only other game was game 4 and it was Ruths last w.s. Game that the program could be for if it was unscored.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I find it hard to believe that a scored program from that game is only $500, the same as unscored. Do you have any links to sold ones?

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-24-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I just realized, the one that just sold in Goldin was also graded a 2. How in the world is it possible that both are 2's? Who graded those and why aren't they being held accountable for this type of nonsense? Is there no quality control?

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-24-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
There is no reason to continue this discussion with you if you think a scored WS game program from the Called Shot game isn't particularly valuable. If you really think that, then there is nothing else to discuss.
There are many more of that ticket in existence than scored programs from that game. An advanced Ruth or WS collector would likely pay as much, perhaps more, for it than the ticket. The tickets are desirable, but aren't really rare. OTOH, I can't remember ever seeing a scored program from that game. Not being sarcastic, but does anyone know of an example of a scored program from that game being sold previously? IF so, do you know when it was and how much it sold for?
Scored programs sell all the time:

$637

$650

No bid - $200 minimum

Here are scored program/ticket combos with BEAUTIFUL tickets that all sold for less than the ugly PSA 2:

$500 Less

Also $500 Less
Old 08-24-2016, 03:57 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Ok. I stand corrected on that value.
Still $2500 for the ticket is going rate.

Any response on the lack of quality control to the grading?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
How about the fact that getting it graded shows that it has not been altered.
That would be my concern . I would think a raw ticket off eBay could be trimmed , recolored or doctored in some way. I know of o was dropping a few grand it would be nice to know it was unaltered.
Valid point I guess that is that .
Old 08-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Ok. I stand corrected on that value.
Still $2500 for the ticket is going rate.

Any response on the lack of quality control to the grading?
Not really. I think they do a better job than most, but make more mistakes than they should. PSA numeric grades carry a premium, why? People can be idiots. Those idiots help fund my hobby, so I'm not going to complain.