NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Michael calv.ello

Default I need help to identify old polo grounds world series pre game photo

An original 5" x 7" photo at the polo grounds which i purchased with an original 5" x 7" carl buckeye, tris speaker, ty cobb, max wilde in their hunting outfits photograph (posted in separate thread) need help to identify the gentlemen at the polo grounds. Thank you for any info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3008.jpg (76.1 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3009.jpg (72.3 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3010.jpg (78.8 KB, 315 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 02:12 PM
Joe

Guessing 1913 World Series. The gentleman to the far left appears to be Ardolph Loges Kline, who was acting Mayor of New York at the time. Try doing some research on New York and Philadelphia politicians or executives who may likely have attended.

Last edited by vintagesportscollector; 11-08-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Joe

On further thought this could be 1911 or 1912 World Series. If so person second to the left appears to be New York Mayor William Jay Gaynor, who died in Sept. 1913, and to the far left is Loges Kline who would have been in Gaynor's administration.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:39 PM
Joe

Bingo. Found the photo. Apr. 1913 Polo Grounds. See link...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8623220@N02/2635672845/

Photo shows (left to right) Captain Hill, New York City Mayor William Jay Gaynor, unidentified man, and Col. John Whalen.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Brock

So Evajoy when you going to answer the question about you consigning a stolen item to auction??
Old 11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default I need help to identify old pologrounds photo

THANK YOU SO MUCH vintagesportscollector. MEMBERS LIKE YOU ARE INVALUABLE TO THIS SITE. THIS IS A GREAT SIT FOR INFORMATION. YOU GUYS ARE THE BACKBONE TO THIS HOBBY.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 View Post
THANK YOU SO MUCH vintagesportscollector. MEMBERS LIKE YOU ARE INVALUABLE TO THIS SITE. THIS IS A GREAT SIT FOR INFORMATION. YOU GUYS ARE THE BACKBONE TO THIS HOBBY.
You are welcome, but all I do is read and learn from the outstanding members of this board like Brock, and so many others. Take a lesson that with a little effort you can do some research on your own too. All I did was google "Polo Grounds 1913", and looked through the images - you could have done that.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:47 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Unfortunately he does not want to do that. He would rather have others do his work so he can then list it on ebay as a rare photo with a price of $500 or more. Take a look at the prior conversation on the Rangers photo. Told by several including myself that it was not taken in Lake Placid but rather in either Switzerland or France. He then lists it on ebay stating that Net54 members identified it as Lake Placid.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195142

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-RANGERS...item1e93e6b2ac

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-09-2014, 05:12 AM
D@vid Fel@

Third from the left looks like comiskey and secind from the right is definitely joe Jackson. And I am pretty sure I see a young babe Ruth in the stands

Last edited by felada; 11-09-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
Third from the left looks like comiskey and secind from the right is definitely joe Jackson. And I am pretty sure I see a young babe Ruth in the stands
Nah, ears don't match
Old 11-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by felada View Post
lol
Old 11-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Unfortunately he does not want to do that. He would rather have others do his work so he can then list it on ebay as a rare photo with a price of $500 or more. Take a look at the prior conversation on the Rangers photo. Told by several including myself that it was not taken in Lake Placid but rather in either Switzerland or France. He then lists it on ebay stating that Net54 members identified it as Lake Placid.
Definitely NOT Lake Placid. I ski there every year, as well as go up there for college hockey tournaments, and there are no rocky mountains like that anywhere near Lake Placid - in fact no where on the US East Coast is like that.

Evajoy, I suggest you change your Rangers photo listing. If you show your willingness to do the right thing, and use the information given to you correctly (not just selectively pick what fits your story), then you may see more willingness from from others on the board to help you with items like your "Carl" Buckeye question - which, by the way, is very easy IF YOU JUST LOOK CLOSELY AT YOUR PHOTO AND THEN GOOGLE SEARCH - I mean really look, it is right in front of you.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Joe, you should charge this lazy guy for doing his work for him. He did not have time to google, but he had time to list it on ebay for $500. He starts these individual threads for each of his photos, purely as advertisement for his sales. All have been listed on ebay after he first has us do his research for him.

I guess he supplies hits for the website advertisers, but that's about it.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesportscollector View Post
Definitely NOT Lake Placid. I ski there every year, as well as go up there for college hockey tournaments, and there are no rocky mountains like that anywhere near Lake Placid - in fact no where on the US East Coast is like that. .
Yes, I agree with you on that. I have been to LP many times for Olympic related events - 1998 Ski team trials, women's ice hockey team tournaments and games and my Olympic collectors club shows. The mountains are actually too old and nothing in the east comes anywhere near that age of them.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Dan Bretta

HELLO JOE!!! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Nah, ears don't match
Doesn't matter, just use the points system!!