NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2020, 03:22 PM

Default Help for the Unenlightened!

I'll start this by saying I know virtually nothing about sports memorabilia. This forum was kind enough to guide me when I found a Babe Ruth ball in my father's basement. Well, I now have two more via my father-in-law's estate. I haven't had either authenticated, and would appreciate opinions if its worth it. I have no reason to believe they are not authentic, as apparently they have been in his family since they were signed, and both are in very good condition. I believe the are from the early '40s, the first being signed by all the Boston Boston Braves and the second by all the St. Louis Cardinals (including Stan!). These have no sentimental value and we will donate any proceeds we get. So, is it worth sending them to PSA when they reopen? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0116.jpg (40.4 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0115.jpg (47.7 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (37.6 KB, 444 views)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:33 PM
Mark

It's always hard to judge from a photo, but those show every sign of being printed signatures to me.

There's no feathering in the signatures. They all appear very similar in pressure and size. One would expect much more fading on the signatures consistent with the fading on the ball.

Just my opinion, though
Old 04-10-2020, 03:42 PM
Scott Russell

I disagree, they are not uniform in intensity, they're not signed in perfect placement, even over the top of printing, and the ball is nowhere near complete. Also don't understand Frankie Drews on the ball unless he coached for STL. I can't say definitively if they are authentic, but I am fairly certain they are actual signatures.

EDIT: OK guessing he got this at a Boston Braves vs Cardinals game in 1944 or 1945. Tommy Holmes was a Brave as was Drews. Drews only appeared in the majors in 1944 and 45. Almost guarantees it's not a stamp. You don't have stamped balls of a handful of players from two teams. Unfortunately multi signed balls without a real theme aren't the most valuable things in the world even with a Musial signature.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-10-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM
Bill H@e1ig

definitely not printed
Old 04-10-2020, 04:25 PM

Thanks - so based on this (I knew the value would be less with multiple signatures) do you think it's worth having them authenticated? I am in the Boston area so we'll donate the Braves ball to a charity auction, so I'll focus on the Cards ball.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Chuck Price

What I can tell is, they are some really strong autographs. Like they were done yesterday....I would prefer to see a little more wear, but that’s me

Drum Daddy, "10 Drum's and counting"
Green Cobb’s, “7 and counting “
Red Cobb’s, “12 and counting”
Working on my Ruth, Cobb, Joe Jackson, Gehrig, Wagner, Mantle collection
Old 04-10-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietheexterminator View Post
What I can tell is, they are some really strong autographs. Like they were done yesterday....I would prefer to see a little more wear, but that’s me
Thanks - the family can trace the balls back 50 years - not quite back to the signatures which, from the names I can read, are from 1943.

We also have a ball signed by all the Fisk-era Red Sox. It's pretty beat up - that one we know is real because my father-in-law was a news anchor out here and got those autographs personally. That one we're hanging on to....

Last edited by Bonk!; 04-10-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:01 PM
Scott Russell

Oh I thought we were looking at one ball. Team balls year becomes very important if it was a world series year etc. Sorry for my confusion but they are better than I was thinking.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-10-2020, 05:05 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
We also have a ball signed by all the Fisk-era Red Sox. It's pretty beat up - that one we know is real because my father-in-law was a news anchor out here and got those autographs personally. That one we're hanging on to....
That ball I would love to see, on the two shown they look very well preserved and would have to see them in person..
Old 04-10-2020, 05:08 PM
Joe Hunter

Default autographed balls

Those are definitely not printed and I would say they are authentic. I've owned some printed balls from the forties, and they are easy to spot. These are nice baseballs, but probably not worth the extra cost of having then authenticated. How many signatures are on each ball? That would make a difference.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
How many signatures are on each ball? That would make a difference.
Both probably have 15 - 20 signatures.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattioli View Post
That ball I would love to see, on the two shown they look very well preserved and would have to see them in person..
Where are you located?! The Sox ball's condition is nowhere near the others. The signatures are faded and the ball is roughed up. I don't know if it was a game ball or played with in later years. I can take some photos if you'd like.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Joe Hunter

I would definitely not worry about getting them authenticated. Most team ball collectors want to see more players. Still collectible, though, especially since they are in nice shape.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Team balls year becomes very important if it was a world series year etc.
Interesting, because the Cards went to the series in '43 and '44, the latter they won. I guess I need to pin the year down on that one.
Old 04-10-2020, 05:31 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Where are you located?! The Sox ball's condition is nowhere near the others. The signatures are faded and the ball is roughed up. I don't know if it was a game ball or played with in later years. I can take some photos if you'd like.
Located in CT.. PM me for contact info if you'd like to send pics..
Old 04-13-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
I would definitely not worry about getting them authenticated. Most team ball collectors want to see more players. Still collectible, though, especially since they are in nice shape.
Thanks for the input - any suggestions as to the next step if I want to see the Cards ball? Anything we get from this will be donated to charity.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those are both nice baseballs and authentic in my opinion. You could photograph them well and attempt to sell on eBay if that is possible for you. Otherwise you could send to one of the auction houses that specializes in autographs for them to sell. Value depends on the exact year which you can tell by who is on the ball and what years they played on the team as someone has eluded to. Price also depends on how many signatures are on each ball and if all bigger names players are there. Also if the team won the World Series or played in it that year.
Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Otherwise you could send to one of the auction houses that specializes in autographs for them to sell.
Thanks - is there an auction house you'd recommend I reach out to?
Old 04-13-2020, 02:55 PM
Jeff P0tter

Hi, I sent you a PM and can help you figure out the years and approximate value if you would like. Thank you.
ebay: AuthenticTradingPost

http://www.ebay.com/str/jeffpotterautographs