NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Which T206 Cobb would you choose?
Red Portrait 26 23.42%
Green Portrait 31 27.93%
Bat On Shoulder 11 9.91%
Bat Off Shoulder 43 38.74%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Eugene
Eug,ene St.ump

Default Which is your favorite T206 Ty Cobb pose?

My favorite is the Red Portrait.
If price was reasonable and condition was equal for all four, which of the 4 poses would you choose?

Below is a pic from Huggins & Scott Auctions that I located from google.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:05 PM

I might be the only one that chooses Bat On. I don't care much for portraits and I like the fact you can see his famous batting grip on the Bat On card.

I never noticed that the artist seems to have taken some creative liberties with the Red Portrait "D" on his jersey. Can't find that particular style on the website that has all the Detroit jerseys. Lines in the middle are curved the wrong way and too close together compared to all the ones I've seen during a quick search.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Nope, you're not the only one to choose bat-on. That was the first pre-war vint I bought many years ago (Thanks Mom! $5! Nobody choke) so it has sentimental value. I too like that grip, and that stare-down defiant look on his face. I lack only the green. Wouldn't you know it, but I turned that down because my thinking back then was, "Heck, I already have three of them".

Last edited by Paul S; 12-31-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:28 PM
Mike C@.v3

I love all of the poses and for me, it was between the Green Portrait and Bat on. IMO the Bat off is a little overrated, although I do like it. Can't see any choice being the wrong one!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 12-31-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
...I like the fact you can see his famous batting grip on the Bat On card.
That's why I like the bat off just a little bit better, as it shows his "hands apart" grip, similar to the technique shown in this photo:

I think all the Cobbs from T206 are cool, but the bat off just has everything going for it, putting it at the top of my list.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM

That was actually a little tongue in cheek. When I was a kid, I was told he held his hands apart when he batted. Only years later, reading quotes from him, did I learn that he didn't swing the bat like that, which is very tough to do. The grip allowed him to bunt easier and if he swung the bat, he slid his top hand down. Basically he said, keep them always guessing. If the infield came in, he could slap one past them, if they didn't, he laid down a bunt
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Bat off. I'm not a fan of the portraits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

I like all of them but love the intense look on Ty's face.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 PM
Bill Gregory

I really like all four, and you couldn't go wrong with any of them. But there's just something about the bat off shoulder that grabs me.

When it comes time to add Mr. Cobb to my T206 collection for the first time, that will be the one. And I'm as big a portrait fan as there is. But I love the background on the bat off. Plus, there's something pensive, almost regal about Cobb's pose. Plus, he seems to be staring down an opposing pitcher, as if to say "hey, bud, I'm the Georgia Peach. I'm a career .367 hitter. You've got nothing for me, so you might as well toss that triple right over the plate, and get it over with."

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 PM

Default How now bat on cocked brow?

In the survey I chose the bat off version, because I really like the colors and composition of the card, but I have always really appreciated the bat on as well. I think this is partially because of the cocked eyebrow...it looks like he is challenging the viewer to a fight.

Brian
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 AM
D@vi d B@zi ni

The 'bat off' is the best if the color and registration are right. If things aren't lined up properly, the card can get ugly. The 'bat on' is more forgiving.

The red portrait usually looks better than the green in my opinion but sometimes a green can sparkle if it was printed correctly.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 AM
Bill

Picked this up a few weeks ago in a lot of 5 different HOF T's and 3 N28's. I have a tough time not looking at the bat off card it is such a beautiful art piece. Perfect, IMO. And the look of determination for me... LOVE IT. The portraits don't stand a chance with me I just thought Id buy one bat off and one portrait when I started.... The stories & observations you folks share about the bat on make it more appealing and the just got bumped ahead of a portrait next. Thanks. man I love the colors of the T206 set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Ty Cobb_0001.jpg (78.8 KB, 63 views)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM
Ted Zanidakis

I equally favor the green and bat off shoulder poses of Cobb....but, I cannot vote twice in this poll.

TED Z

LOOKING for these 6 - T206 guys to complete my AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 sub-set (75 cards)
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
AMES (hands over head)....CAMNITZ (hands over head)....DOYLE (portrait)....McGRAW (portrait-cap)
McQUILLAN (bat)....TINKER (bat off shoulder)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM
rgpete

Portrait
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ty cobb 002.jpg (27.8 KB, 46 views)