NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-19-2016, 07:07 AM
Orlando Rodriguez

Default Million dollar mantle

Maybe I am naive. Maybe I love baseball cards and value their appearance over their grade. Maybe I am just a centering freak. But the mantle below sold for over a million dollars. I could have Bill Gates' bank account and still wouldnt pay amillion bucks for a card that isnt well centered and actually has a tilt. I compared it to an sgc 7 currently on ebay at 300k obo (i am not the seller nor do i know the guy). Am I crazy to prefer the sgc 7??? Or in the alternative, is the difference a 700k difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.3 KB, 411 views)

Last edited by orly57; 11-19-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:34 AM
pete ullman

im with you...i'll take the 7 and a sweet house!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Dave_Berg

I prefer the PSA graded card, but agree, if I had to pay the cash I'd buy the SGC example.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:20 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Sell the holder not the card..

I do remember a few years ago when i re-entered the hobby how i was surprised how everyone was looking at centering this and centering that

when i was growing up i just looked at the corners...if the corners were bad that was the dealbreaker... not sure if i am alone in this.....
Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Maybe I am naive. Maybe I love baseball cards and value their appearance over their grade. Maybe I am just a centering freak. But the mantle below sold for over a million dollars. I could have Bill Gates' bank account and still wouldnt pay amillion bucks for a card that isnt well centered and actually has a tilt. I compared it to an sgc 7 currently on ebay at 300k obo (i am not the seller nor do i know the guy). Am I crazy to prefer the sgc 7??? Or in the alternative, is the difference a 700k difference?
I posted it in this thread, which wasn't about the Million dollar Mantle but I am surprised it didn't at least get someone talking?
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=231296

It is hard to believe the price it got but I will say, if it isn't just the scan, the card looks super vibrant compared to the SGC copy.

Personally, if I had Bill Gates money, I would buy both!
Old 11-19-2016, 10:09 AM
Todd Jenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Sell the holder not the card..

I do remember a few years ago when i re-entered the hobby how i was surprised how everyone was looking at centering this and centering that

when i was growing up i just looked at the corners...if the corners were bad that was the dealbreaker... not sure if i am alone in this.....

I will totally agree with you on corners over centering but I am one of the few in this forum who absolutely does not mind off centering. Way more important to me personally over both centering and corners is creases/wrinkles and color/focus. I absolutely hate creases but no way a card gets a 7 or 8.5 with a crease. If a card is crease free and has great color and focus, I am good! I actually like the PSA 8.5 Mantle better because of color and focus but for a cool MILLION...no way.

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/187700522@N03/

Recent positve trades with: Brian Van Horn, frank bmd, nkesterke09, ajg, esehombre, mrmantlecollector, KC Doughboy, gregr2,bn2cardz, sycks22
Old 11-19-2016, 10:37 AM
David Peck

I spoke to a high end collector on his way home from the National on the phone for an hour and he said the card is hand is stunning. Like it was printed yesterday.

I have said it a thousand times but cards like this are bragging rights pieces. This is a Pop 3 with only 6 PSA 9's and 3 PSA 10's. If you own a copy of a Mantle in this grade you are in rare company and at the end of the day that matters when it comes to price.

A PSA 9 sold for 3.4 million so this price isn't shocking at all.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM

The PSA is a much nicer card, but both are way over priced. Aren't SCG 7s about 150-175k?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:36 PM
Matt

The Heritage 8.5 certainly has tilt and centering that would turn off many guys who aesthetically go for centering, yet it is also undeniably crisp, bright, and ultra sharp. I would grade it an 8, personally, due to the tilt and centering. That said, PSA made their assessment and it seems the overall "freshness" of the card carried it to the half point bump. Any card cracking the million dollar barrier is certainly good press for the hobby we all love.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:39 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I spoke to a high end collector on his way home from the National on the phone for an hour and he said the card in hand is stunning. Like it was printed yesterday.

I have said it a thousand times but cards like this are bragging rights pieces. This is a Pop 3 with only 6 PSA 9's and 3 PSA 10's. If you own a copy of a Mantle in this grade you are in rare company and at the end of the day that matters when it comes to price.

A PSA 9 sold for 3.4 million so this price isn't shocking at all.
Any story on where the card came from or was found? It does look pack fresh, those borders look snow white.

Going to have to look into the 9 copy that sold for 3.4 mil. I don't recall hearing about that one?

Edit: Seen it was traced back to Al Rosen's find.
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...-11m-au/ntBKr/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
The Heritage 8.5 certainly has tilt and centering that would turn off many guys who aesthetically go for centering, yet it is also undeniably crisp, bright, and ultra sharp. I would grade it an 8, personally, due to the tilt and centering. That said, PSA made their assessment and it seems the overall "freshness" of the card carried it to the half point bump. Any card cracking the million dollar barrier is certainly good press for the hobby we all love.
More than likely the case, and I agree with your "Is certainly good for the hobby" opinion.

Last edited by irv; 11-19-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Any story on where the card came from or was found? It does look pack fresh, those borders look snow white.

Going to have to look into the 9 copy that sold for 3.4 mil. I don't recall hearing about that one?

More than likely the case, and I agree with your "Is certainly good for the hobby" opinion.

It was a raw copy that Heritage brought to the National to get graded is what I was told. They were trying to get 1.3 or 1.5 million for it. The collector said they drove it there something like 11 hours. Not sure of the origin but as you can see from the scan it is a pack fresh looking example.

I am not certain if the person who bought the Mantle wants to be outed so I am not going to be the one to due so. That said I have seen a picture of the card and it is spectacular.

There were rumblings on this board about a sale over 3 million months ago and after speaking to a few people I believe there have been two.

On the CU board five years ago I stated I thought a 10 would easily bring 3 million. To the right buyer I bet that number is north of 10 and it wouldn't necessarily end up in a baseball card collectors hands. My thesis has always been a hedge fund manager or private equity guy who wants to showcase it on display in their Manhattan penthouse in a glass case. Talk about a conversation piece. One of only three cards to ever achieve the top grade of the most famous baseball card of the past sixty five years.

Last edited by Dpeck100; 11-19-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
It was a raw copy that Heritage brought to the National to get graded is what I was told. They were trying to get 1.3 or 1.5 million for it. The collector said they drove it there something like 11 hours. Not sure of the origin but as you can see from the scan it is a pack fresh looking example.

I am not certain if the person who bought the Mantle wants to be outed so I am not going to be the one to due so. That said I have seen a picture of the card and it is spectacular.

There were rumblings on this board about a sale over 3 million months ago and after speaking to a few people I believe there have been two.

On the CU board five years ago I stated I thought a 10 would easily bring 3 million. To the right buyer I bet that number is north of 10 and it wouldn't necessarily end up in a baseball card collectors hands. My thesis has always been a hedge fund manager or private equity guy who wants to showcase it on display in their Manhattan penthouse in a glass case. Talk about a conversation piece. One of only three cards to ever achieve the top grade of the most famous baseball card of the past sixty five years.
I edited my post above. Said it was/could be traced back to Al Rosen's find in 86?
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...-11m-au/ntBKr/

The 3.4mil card, I could find no info on, so, more than likely, it was a private sale.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:37 AM
Ke.ith Conr@d

I think we are seeing an era where very few new submissions are coming to market with high end cards like Mantle's, Aaron's, Clemente's... so premium prices are being paid for centered examples. Within a grade like PSA 7 or PSA 8 there is such a large range of factors like centering, eye appeal, corners, color, focus... prices can vary dramatically.

I also think the market from May-August experienced some exuberance and manipulation with certain rookie cards so people are leery of getting back into those cards and cards they spent $30k on which are now $15k. Think about the persons who bought the Goodwin Clemente PSA 8 examples for $146k and $150k in June/July, and now they are back to the $50k range. Same with the Koufax PSA 8 and Rose PSA 8 which are both trading at much lower prices now versus June/July.

When all this happened I think people decided to stick with what they know and have poured money back into Mantle cards which are about as sure of a bet in the market as anything.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallCat View Post
I think we are seeing an era where very few new submissions are coming to market with high end cards like Mantle's, Aaron's, Clemente's... so premium prices are being paid for centered examples. Within a grade like PSA 7 or PSA 8 there is such a large range of factors like centering, eye appeal, corners, color, focus... prices can vary dramatically.

I also think the market from May-August experienced some exuberance and manipulation with certain rookie cards so people are leery of getting back into those cards and cards they spent $30k on which are now $15k. Think about the persons who bought the Goodwin Clemente PSA 8 examples for $146k and $150k in June/July, and now they are back to the $50k range. Same with the Koufax PSA 8 and Rose PSA 8 which are both trading at much lower prices now versus June/July.

When all this happened I think people decided to stick with what they know and have poured money back into Mantle cards which are about as sure of a bet in the market as anything.
That is definitely the case, imo, too. I have followed many many cards and have noticed that as well. Some big money is definitely gone and if sellers/consignors think they are going to get the same money as what summer cards sold for, their sadly mistaken.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-Topps-1...vip=true&rt=nc

Last edited by irv; 11-20-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Dustin Bellinger

The hyperfocus on centering is perplexing to me. The SGC card is better centered but I find every other aspect of the PSA card superior. If priced equally I would choose that card every time. Whether I would pay the exponentially higher price the flip would command is another issue and a large reason I am happy to stick with collectors grade cards.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.

Last edited by Shoebox; 11-20-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:12 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
The hyperfocus on centering is perplexing to me. The SGC card is better centered but I find every other aspect of the PSA card superior. If priced equally I would choose that card every time.
Agreed. Centering isn't the end all, be all for me. In fact, it's not Very high at all on my priority list. Corners and lack of tilt are the first things I look at. Agree with boynton that I never thought about centering for even a split second when I was a kid.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:07 PM
J0hn Collin$

A friend (who doesn't collect cards) sent this story to me earlier this week and the first thing I said was "Wow, that is some tilt and o/c for an 8.5!" Not much room to talk because I can't afford a PSA 1 '52 #311, but yeah. I'd much rather have a centered card in a lower grade that is still presentable than a card that everyone would immediately say, "That's perfect, EXCEPT for..."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk