NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
But just think about picking up a (relatively) lot of cards from a super obscure set? It can feel pretty good to have a large accumulation of cards almost no one has (or cares about, sometimes ) even one of.
This hits my current collecting habits dead on. The longer i've collect, the more i've moved from more common to rarer cards, regardless of who else likes the set. I love the feeling of knowing I have 40% of the known cards from a set. It just stinks when you know where half the other cards are and know they won't be available for a long time.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
It just stinks when you know where half the other cards are and know they won't be available for a long time.

DJ
+1000 (except “stinks” is an understatement).
Old 06-20-2018, 08:12 PM
Luke Lyon

So, the reason I started this thread is that I recently got into the "1917 set" (for lack of a better term). It's kind of a weird feeling to get all excited about a set, read everything you can find about it online, and then..........wait for something to show up that you can buy.........

On the bright side, it probably saves me money since there aren't a ton of cards out there on the market for me to overpay for before I know what I'm doing.

I'm working on the five different backs as if they are one set, because that's the way it feels to me. Still need my first Standard Biscuit back. Since I'm just starting, I'm probably not looking to set any new records for prices, but if anyone has any of these laying around that they would sell for a fair price, please let me know. Brian has already been a big help (thank you Brian).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917 Weil Baking Carey GAI 1.5.jpg (77.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 1917 Boston Store Doyle SGC 82 .jpg (77.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 1917 Boston Store Schalk PSA 3.5.jpg (77.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Store Collins Shauno.jpg (78.5 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Merchants Bakery Rixey SGC 20.jpg (78.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Store Fournier.jpg (77.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Store Jones Fielder.jpg (78.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Boston Store McBride PSA 1.jpg (77.7 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg E135 Gardner VG.jpg (78.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg Blank Back Jones Fielder SGC A.jpg (73.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-20-2018, 08:28 PM
Val Kehl

Luke, collecting the 1917 b & w cards with different backs should be a fun endeavor - good luck with it. I believe a sixth back, a blank back, also exists for these cards. Nice pickup re the Merchants Bakery - Rixey card; I almost picked up this same card a couple of years ago when it appeared in Heritage and LOTG auctions, but I decided to impatiently hold out for the re-appearance of the Merchants Bakery - WaJo card that sold in Heritage a few years ago.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 PM
Luke Lyon

Val, you're right. Shouldn't be that hard to count to six, but I am pretty tired, heh. I have 5 of the 6 so far and hopefully will end up with multiples of each back.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I also like regionals from the West, esp. CA. Zeenuts, Standard Biscuit, Atlantic Oil, Mothers Cookies, etc. But since I only collect stars and HOFers, not commons, it can be quite a while between cards I want. Which is nice, frankly, since having one pop up is special. And there is the added benefit of so many PCL sets having pre-rookies and only cards of some players.

The Cubs at spring training on Catalina, doing the Seven Dwarves (HI Ho, It's Off To Work We Go).

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-21-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Val Kehl

Adam, over the years, I have greatly enjoyed seeing the eclectic cards from your collection that you have shared with us. And, the above group is no exception, my favorite of which being the Evers card, because the D350-3 Standard Biscuits are so tough to find.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Danny Smith

Default Mello Mints

Well I’m 42 cards into the 50 card e105 Mello Mint set. It’s taken maybe 10 years but it’s a ton of fun. It started because I liked that it had Smith in the name and I was getting bored of the t206 set (which I completed this year without plank / Wagner). I’ve since completed a number of caramel and tobacco sets but this one is my ultimate chase.

I started when no one really cared about mellos and picked up 25 pretty easily. There are some other awesome Mello guys who have come and gone which has at times led to some crazy prices but spirited competition and strong collecting friendships. The cards are tough to come by now because they have grown in popularity as type cards and are just a mysterious set but I keep on trucking,

I get super pumped when they come up at auction or someone reaches out regardless of whether I need the card - and when one of the ones I need comes up it is beyond exciting. Most of the time I don’t win the last ones I need which totally sucks but man when I win it is just awesome - despite royally overpaying sadly. For better or worse there are 2 or 3 of us going hard for the same cards.

It’s a tough set. It’s getting pricey. But damn it I’m gonna finish it. And my kids will get them knowing how much of a bear it is to complete.