NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 01-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default 1948 Exhibits -- why no PSA?

Does anyone know why PSA won't grade these? Or the hockey or Olympics ones?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-05-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Carl Lamendola

I think because many of the same exhibits may have been printed over multiple years and it’s difficult to discern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I think because many of the same exhibits may have been printed over multiple years and it’s difficult to discern

That was my working theory, but it doesn't seem to have stopped SGC?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:32 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post

I agree with Carl. Here is what I have in my set notes:

The 1948 – 1952 Football Exhibit (catalog designation W468) set consists of 59 unnumbered player cards and a checklist that were produced over a five year period. It is believed that they were released in 32 card groups, primarily in the years 1948, 1950, and 1951. Some cards were printed in multiple years while others were not. The 1951 cards were all reprinted in sepia and distributed in 1952 as well. The year a card was originally printed can be determined by the height of the “Made in USA” text at the bottom of the card. The text on 1948 cards is 5/8”. The text on 1950 cards is 7/16”. The text on 1951 and 1952 cards is 1/2”. ESCO continued printing and selling these cards at least into the mid 50's, making it difficult to pinpoint the year that any particular card was printed.

jeff
Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Does anyone know why PSA won't grade these? Or the hockey or Olympics ones?
Only cards manufactured by ESCO (Exhibit Supply Co.) can be called "exhibits." Now the hockey ones we see floating around online were not made by ESCO - nobody really knows who made them! The only thing we do know is that they were made somewhere in Canada. They copied the baseball ones ESCO made as well. And finally, I am not even sure if they bought a licence from ESCO.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Only cards manufactured by ESCO (Exhibit Supply Co.) can be called "exhibits." Now the hockey ones we see floating around online were not made by ESCO - nobody really knows who made them! The only thing we do know is that they were made somewhere in Canada. They copied the baseball ones ESCO made as well. And finally, I am not even sure if they bought a licence from ESCO.
Yeah I have seen Howe and Richard and Beliveau. Good to know.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:33 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yeah I have seen Howe and Richard and Beliveau. Good to know.
They are still pretty popular though, and I think that's because most collectors believe they were manufactured by ESCO. I remember I sold my NM Gordie Howe for around $300 USD, and I thought I asked for a little too much for it, but then PWCC sold a VG-EX example for $921 USD - I couldn't believe it!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:10 PM
John

I emailed PSA on this (specifically football exhibits) and they said "We only grade baseball exhibits – there have been counterfeiting issues with the other sport exhibits."

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 01-09-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:52 AM
Steve Birmingham

Sooo........

"We're the experts. Unless being an expert is hard, then we're not. "
Old 01-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Sooo........

"We're the experts. Unless being an expert is hard, then we're not. "
Similar to their stance on Star basketball. Although given their guaranty I guess I understand the cost-benefit analysis.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-12-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have been trying for years to change their minds. Maybe the Exhibit book I hope to publish in 2018 will help.

Technically speaking, PSA's position is nonsensical. Anyone who knows Exhibits knows that the stock is very distinctive and was used across all the card sets, and that the only way to counterfeit a halftone print like an Exhibit card convincingly is to use the original art or the original plates. Anything else made from a card is an obvious re-screen (2nd generation halftone print made from a photo of a halftone print). Takes all of about ten seconds to weed out a counterfeit. That is why the Canadian arcade cards are clearly not ESCO products. They could not have vended through the machines without fouling and are re-screens. They are, however, vintage and quite desirable.

I can also second Jeff's observations re the duration of the FB card run. This is from a 1955 catalog:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Sam Lemoine

And when the book is ready, I shall be a buyer. Exhibits are absolutely fascinating!
Old 01-13-2018, 03:12 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I believe there was at least one other company that many an exhibit baseball card set, circa 1920s. I believe it includes Babe Ruth.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

There are a number of arcade cards and pseudo-arcade cards. I will cover those too.

Or not...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
There are a number of arcade cards and pseudo-arcade cards. I will cover those too.
At least with cards of movie stars and singers from the 50s and 60s, one often sees what appears to be the same card referred to as both an exhibit and an arcade card. Is there a difference? I usually just adopt the terminology used by the seller in my records, but wouldn't mind being more accurate.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Arcade cards refer generically to cards sold in arcades. Exhibit cards should refer to products of the Exhibit Supply Company, a subset of arcade card. Like tissue and Kleenex or photocopy and Xerox.

Or not...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Thank you.