NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1911 E-Unc Baseball Bats cards

I noticed a nice Baseball Bats card in the new pick up thread. So why not show some? I always tried to upgrade to ones with big borders.

Flynn, Walsh, Bender

Last edited by Leon; 05-25-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Val Kehl

I like this card so much that I made it my avatar!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 Baseball Bats - Johnson.jpg (64.2 KB, 352 views)
Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Dave_Berg

Beauty, Val!
Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Val,

Being real photo's of the Player's...
I can See why You would take a likeN ta Walter...
He's Brilliant!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Jeff

Nice one Val.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-25-2015, 12:45 PM

Nice stuff Leon.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 PM

We have a bunch coming up in our next auction starting June 1.

www.hugginsandscott.com

James
Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM
Val Kehl

Dave, Denny and Jeff, thanks for the kind words!

James, I just took a look at the Baseball Bats cards that H & S has in its upcoming auction - very nice cards with several HOFers, including a nice WaJo! I notice that none of the 10 examples in the H & S Auction are the white border style (see Leon's example above) - do I correctly guess that this is the most difficult of the 3 different styles?

Val
Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 PM
Daryl

Nice cards, gentlemen; I like this set.

Just curious: why does Old Cardboard list these as 1912?
Old 05-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Dave, Denny and Jeff, thanks for the kind words!

James, I just took a look at the Baseball Bats cards that H & S has in its upcoming auction - very nice cards with several HOFers, including a nice WaJo! I notice that none of the 10 examples in the H & S Auction are the white border style (see Leon's example above) - do I correctly guess that this is the most difficult of the 3 different styles?

Val
My personal experience is the ones with the white borders are scarcer than the other two. FYI, the 3 cards I showed will be one lot in the upcoming auction. SO a collector can complete the little Baseball Bats type set with full big borders, in one fell swoop, if they so desire.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:06 AM

Default Late 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Nice cards, gentlemen; I like this set.

Just curious: why does Old Cardboard list these as 1912?
Daryl,
I believe the 1912 date Old Cardboard assigns to the Baseball Bats set could be based on the fact John Flynn played for Pittsburgh until August 1911, then was sold to St. Paul. He never played for Chicago (his affiliation in Baseball Bats) and was briefly with Washington in 1912. However, he may have had or been rumored to have a trial with Chicago in late 1911 or 1912 (player movements weren't as easy to access then as they are today). Also, Elmer Criger did not cross paths with the Red Sox until spring training of 1911 when he caught their eye pitching against Boston in exhibition games. He, too, never played for Boston in the majors.
As for which style of Baseball Bats is more common, over many years of collecting this set I've found the cards without orange borders slightly more common than those with orange borders, but the sample size (100+) is too small to make a definitive pronouncement. It's worth pointing out that I've never seen any of the 12 cards with red backgrounds in any other format. Most of the bigger stars are found with red backgrounds (and orange borders), so you naturally see more of these in auctions and on this board.
By the way, I need four "commons" to complete this set: Ames, Bridwell, Miller, Sheckard. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (I have duplicates to trade).
B.ob Ri.char.dson
Old 05-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
Daryl,
I believe the 1912 date Old Cardboard assigns to the Baseball Bats set could be based on the fact John Flynn played for Pittsburgh until August 1911, then was sold to St. Paul. He never played for Chicago (his affiliation in Baseball Bats) and was briefly with Washington in 1912. However, he may have had or been rumored to have a trial with Chicago in late 1911 or 1912 (player movements weren't as easy to access then as they are today). Also, Elmer Criger did not cross paths with the Red Sox until spring training of 1911 when he caught their eye pitching against Boston in exhibition games. He, too, never played for Boston in the majors.
As for which style of Baseball Bats is more common, over many years of collecting this set I've found the cards without orange borders slightly more common than those with orange borders, but the sample size (100+) is too small to make a definitive pronouncement. It's worth pointing out that I've never seen any of the 12 cards with red backgrounds in any other format. Most of the bigger stars are found with red backgrounds (and orange borders), so you naturally see more of these in auctions and on this board.
By the way, I need four "commons" to complete this set: Ames, Bridwell, Miller, Sheckard. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated (I have duplicates to trade).
B.ob Ri.char.dson
Bob
Thanks for the info. I always appreciate you chiming in as I know you have been collecting for a good while. It is interesting to note you have seen more of the white border cards than the other 2 types? All of the 10 in the current Huggins and Scott Auction are not the white border variety. Of the 20-40 I have seen I don't recall more than a few with the white borders. However, if you have 40 of the 44 checklisted you must have insight far, far beyond my piddly experience. Thanks again!!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Val Kehl

Leon, both OC and my 2011 edition of the Std. Cat. of Vintage BB Cards show 50 cards in their checklists - and, Miller is not included.

Bob, I assume you have 47 of the 51 cards in this set, which is absolutely amazing! Do you know if anyone has ever completed this set? I wouldn't think so.

Val