NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default RIP HOFer GEORGE KELL

Posted By: Dan McHugh IV

Hofer George Kell has died today. I had met him once at a show and he was very nice. My thoughts and prayers go out to his Family.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4011970

[linked image]

-Dan

Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Wow. He was my voice of summer growing up.

When I lived out east years ago, I was talking to home and waiting for someone else to come to the phone. The Tigers were on in the background and I heard George Kell say "They're gonna wave him home!". That was the moment I decided that I was moving back to Michigan the second I graduated even if it meant abandoning the field I was in school for. It was a lot of things about Michigan, of course, and not just George or the Tigers. But waiting on the phone listening to George Kell in the background was the moment that sealed it.

I'd give my eye teeth to get my hands on a copy of any game he called, or any part of a game.

Shoot. Detroiters will feel this one.

J

Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

about five years ago I mailed cards to be autographed by the living members of the Philadelphia A's. Now at least two of them have died- George Kell and Sam Chapman.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Joann,

Keep you're teeth, you'll need 'em one day. I, or someone else here, will locate some Kell play by play for you.

Mr. Kell was a kind gentleman. I think modern fans know little or nothing about him. Those that saw him play are satisfied he was a legitimate Hall of Famer. I don't doubt that.

Frank W.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Coe Biggers

George Kell was a very good friend of my late great uncle and also my grandmother. They grew up all in the same vicinity of each other and I believe he still had lingering injuires from when his house caught on fire in 2001 he tried to go back into the house and save some of his memorablia from his playing days and lost quite a bit of memorablia and also was burned some in the process. He was a great guy and one of the most caring individuals in the hall of famer. I remember I asked for one autograph on one of his cards and he gave me a autograph on the card but he also pulled out cards of his own and autographed them for me and gave them to me.
he will be missed

Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

There are fewer third basemen in the Hall of Hame than any other position, a fact that, in my mind, makes Kell's achievements even greater ...

Photobucket

Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Carek

I grew up in northwest Ohio, and therefore had access to WKBD, television home of the Tigers. I'll always remember one particular telecast from Kansas City, where Detroit and the Royals were playing on a beastly hot, humid day. In the middle of the game, the director cut to a shot of the broadcast booth, where both Kell and Al Kaline, his on-air partner, were sitting shirtless at their mics. A pretty funny moment, as it was clear that neither guy had any idea they were about to go half-frontal on TV.

Anyway, farewell to a nice guy, and one of the voices from my boyhood.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McCarthy

I never got to see him play but I know that he always took the time to sign things for fans through the mail, which is beginning to be a rarity these days. I believe he even responded to questions about his career if you asked. It's unfortunate that in the hobby a lot of great players' careers get looked over because of how easy it is to obtain their autograph (I think Kell, Feller, Doerr fit in this category, to name a few). Based on what I know of him he had to be one of baseball;s nicest guys. RIP.

Here's one from his final season with Baltimore:

[linked image]

Old 03-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

May GOD BLESS his soul and comfort his family.

I watched him play in the early 1950's with a formidable Detroit Tigers team that would give my Yankees
some tough competition.
I especially remember the 1950 season with George Kell (3b) who was second in the American League in
batting .340 average and led the ML with 218 hits and 56 doubles. A favorite of the Detroit fans was Hoot
Evers who batted .323 with 109 RBIs. The fans would chant "HOOT-HOOT-HOOT" when he was at bat. Vic
Wertz at RF hitting 27 home runs with 123 RBIs. Pitcher Art Houtteman with a 19-12 and four shutouts.
A really great team that fought the Yankees down to the wire.

I will never forget one game in 1950 at old Briggs Field where the Tigers and the Yankees set a new HR
record for a BB game. If I recall correctly The Yankees and Tigers combined for a Major League record 11
home runs during a 10-9, June 23rd game at Briggs Stadium. It was also the first time that nine different
players connected for home runs in a single game. Detroit tallied 4 home runs in the 4th inning thanks to
Dizzy Trout, Gerry Priddy, Vic Wertz, and Hoot Evers. New York's Hank Bauer connected for 2 HR's while
Joe DiMaggio, Jerry Coleman, Yogi Berra, and pinch hitter Tommy Henrich also belted HR's. Detroit's slugger
Evers finally won the contest with his 2nd blast, an inside-the-park two-run game winner in the 9th.

[linked image]

TED Z

Old 03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick Edson

As a kid, I played with my 1960 and 1961 Topps baseball cards on the floor of our living room as I tried to imitate George Kell's voice as a Detroit Tigers broadcaster. Later, as a sports editor who spent many spring trainings in Lakeland, I got to know George. As great a player as he was, he was even a better person. Always treated people with respect. I lost a bit of my childhood today.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

As many have mentioned Mr. Kell was very obliging with mail requests for his autograph. IIRC he signed many years for no charge and later in life began asking for a modest donation to the local Methodist church for each signature. RIP Mr. Kell.
[linked image]

Old 03-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I have no first-hand experiences with him, I have heard nothing but very nice things about him.
[linked image]

Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

Met Mr. Kell about ten years ago at a show. Was a great person and very knowledgeable about baseball. Rest in Peace George.

Joshua

Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

This is sad news to hear. I don't display many items I have but on my desk I have a card and ball holder that says "George Kell HOF 1983" with a signed ball,one of those Topps archives signed cards,a signed cooperstown plaque postcard between the ball and card and one of those modern game used bat cards leaning on the front. I've never met him but have heard nothing but good things about him

Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Extremely sad news for Tiger and baseball fans alike. Best to his family and friends. May God Bless.

Joe Gonsowski

Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

"I read the news today oh boy , about a lucky man who made the grade." George was a great ballplayer but even a greater human being. Guys like Kell and Kaline etc don't come around very often. I will miss George. I use to listen to 1000's of Detroit games and his voice is in my memory therefore he still lives.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matthew

Great player & ever greater person. He is one of the most underrated HOFers as it seems he never gets his due. He as nice enough to sign a ball for me years ago when I was a teenager.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

From a fellow Arkansan, I give a fond R.I.P to Mr. Kell. I mailed him an auto request 4 years ago and asked him about his home town. He wrote all about it including directions to his farm. Was a mentor to another Arkansan Hall of Famer, Brooks Calbert Robinson. God bless him and his.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I echo James' sentiments, our State (Arkansas) has lost another true gentleman, (Preacher Roe having died recently also).

Old 03-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Wow,just read that Johnny Blanchard died, I actually did get to meet him about a year and a half ago at a local card show and got an autographed ball. Went with my dad who grew up watching Blanchard play,and they had a nice little conversation. Mr Blanchard really took his time with the autograph he gave me and signed it "To John, Johnny Blanchard, 1961-62 world champions". I mentioned it up above,I dont display much and I really dont collect autographs,so if I was Dick Groat,I'd go see a doctor for a checkup immediately. I have 3 different players autos on my desk and they say bad things happen in threes,and hes the other autograph I have besides Blanchard and Kell.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Roger

[linked image]

Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

One really fine gentleman.........RIP.

[linked image]

Old 03-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis O'Brien

Joann should indeed save her teeth. Rare Sports Films, in Naperville Il., has a George Kell narrated video "Baseball for Little Leaguers" in which he also demonstrates fielding technique. Mr. Ewing says he also offers a 1962 Tigers DVD with some of George Kell's voice. As for broadcasting games..it seems the Miley Collection in Evansville Indiana may offer some nuggets. I once sent a ball to his home for an autograph. I asked that he reference his time in Chicago. He declined and instead wrote 'HOF 83'.