NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Default O/T Why doesn't MLB Celebrate Larry Doby more?

I was speaking with my brother Rhys on the phone today and we both got to speaking about Jackie Robinson and the other players from 1947 that "broke the color barrier" (and in the case of Johnny Wright, the other African American that broke in with Montreal in 1946 along with Jackie). I find it interesting that the American League does nothing to celebrate the man who broke their color barrier, Larry Doby.

I have heard people speak about the two situations and they described Jackie Robinson's situation as a slow roll-out after being with Montreal for a season while Larry Doby just sort of showed up one day. I think it is a bit lost that only the National League was involved in games involving Jackie Robinson, while the A.L. guys were also quietly paving new ground as well.

Also, almost never spoken about are the other 1947 guys that also faced a lot heat... Hank Thompson, Willard Brown, and Dan Bankhead.

Interested in hearing other peoples thoughts on this.

Again, I am not trying to take anything away from Jackie just not seeing a lot of love for Larry Doby.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 05-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default A Post on Tuesday

Thalia Menninger more loved than Larry Doby or Dobie in the long run.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:59 PM

I just read his autobiography. I agree he should be recognized as well. In his second season he helped them win the pennant. He said Bill Veeck was also a visionary who didn't see color and treated him not only equally as a player but also like a family member. As a side note My dad lived in Ohio around those glory days of the late 40's - early 50's Indians (in Berea after his family was released from japanese-american relocation camp - they moved there thanks to some family connections to temporary escape post war hostilities still present in California) and he rooted for Larry because he understood in a way the prejudice that he would and did face in the early days.

Ricky Y
Old 05-07-2018, 01:23 AM
Dave Foster

Like Avis, he was #2.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:09 AM
Sean McGinty

Here is an interesting fact. We all know that Doby is famous as the "second man" not only for being the second to break the color barrier as a player but also as a manager (each time beaten by a guy named Robinson). But there is an overlooked third major accomplishment that he also came in second at.

In 1962 he and Don Newcombe became the first Major leaguers to play for NPB teams in Japan (the pro league there). They both played for the Chunichi Dragons in Nagoya (where, coincidentally, I now live). Newcombe made his debut on June 23 that year. Doby made his on.....June 30th! So he missed being the first MLBer to play in Japan by a week too!

If there was ever an award for "Most lifetime achievements of being a close second at major things" then he would win it hands down.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 05-07-2018 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:17 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Perhaps it's simply a case of the ole 'First Man on the Moon' effect. Everyone always talks about Neil Armstrong, but far fewer give Buzz Aldrin his due respect. Could be a parallel there.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.