NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-21-2024, 12:50 PM

Default Crossroads on selling my collection since childhood

I'm 78, in reasonable health, and have a collection of cards since collecting as a kid from 1953-1959.
I have 55 baseball cards that sat in a cigar box for decades when about 10 years ago I transferred them to penny sleeves and top loaders and put them in a baseball album.
Players range from 1951 Bob Feller Bowman, 53 Mantle, Ford, Campanella Topps, 54 Robinson, 55 Ted Williams, Koufax, 56 Mantle, Mays, 57 Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Drysdale, 59 Mantle, Koufax, 61 Mantle, and Maris. I have a 62 Maris that I acquired in 62 because of his stats on the back. The rest are semi-stars not commons.
The condition is used by a boy to handle, trade and enjoy them as everyone did then. but upon inspection none have any creases. Doubt any would go above 3-4 in condition.
No one in my family is interested in them and wondering if I should go to the expense of grading or not. Grading was unheard of then and I still enjoy the feel of a raw card that these fingers touched way back then. I get nostalgic at times and these were an important time in my life.
Your thoughts please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240414_193944835.jpg (172.5 KB, 303 views)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:01 PM

Default sorry, wrong picture

Wrong picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240421_120108705.jpg (182.2 KB, 301 views)
Old 04-21-2024, 01:07 PM
D.an Jackso.n

Great story and beautiful cards. If you are going to sell them, I would definitely get them graded.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:02 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Just want to make sure I'm reading this thread right. Whoever cleans the SUV in the first pic will get the cards in the second pic as payment, correct?? My soapy sponge is rarin' to go!!!!

Definitely grade them for maximum return. (Someone is inevitably going to suggest that you should think of placing them for sale as is in the B/S/T section, so there's that, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:57 PM
J@son Per1

It is probably worth grading every card in that photo other than the 1961 Roger Maris. Great collection and good luck with the sale.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:56 AM

Very nice cards. Agree with poster above. It is nice that you still have your boyhood cards and they are in decent shape.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The question about grading or not is kind of simple, if you will get more for them graded, than what the grading costs, then do it. I agree with the others, get them graded if you are selling. Good luck, nice collection!!
Old 04-22-2024, 11:18 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Maybe just to give you some thoughts about which grader to use, it seems like the primary factors should be cost, speed, and whether the stuff from that grader sells at a discount compared to slabs from other graders.

From what I'm seeing and based on your narrative, it mostly looks like midgrade 50s and 60s. Probably a lot of stuff in the 3-6 range, give or take?

As a practical matter, I would rule out Beckett, simply because their stuff sells at a significant discount when it comes to vintage. At present, I think you can probably also rule out CGC as well. While they might get there in the near future, the market doesn't seem to be quite ready to pay full price for stuff in their slabs.

That really leaves you with PSA or SGC. Given that they're now under the same corporate umbrella makes it fun, although they seem to still be operating very separately at the moment. PSA will take a long time or cost a lot of money (or both). If you submit to PSA at the bulk service level, your timeline is probably around 4 months, give or take, and it could be quite a bit longer, just depending on the randomness involved in when the grader decides to pick up your submission.

That leaves you with SGC. SGC seems like their turnaround times have grown a little lately, but still seem to be under a month door to door, which is pretty zippy by comparison. Their fees, while not crazy low, also seem to be rather reasonable by comparison. And while there's certainly some good data that their stuff sells at a discount at the top of the pop charts, for midgrade vintage stuff, the discount seems like it is usually small to miniscule. Assuming that you don't have forever to be patient on getting them graded, SGC seems like it could hit the sweet spot between the important factors at play here.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 04-22-2024 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:27 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all input. I'll keep you posted.
Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Bruce Mattioli

Surely get them graded for resale but if your keeping them without the intentension of selling them just enjoy the collection. That's what I do.. Nice collection..
Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM
Luk3 @ll3n

Would get the HOFers graded with SGC. Least hassle / forms to fill out, and cheaper than PSA. These look nice enough that you're not trading much value for SGC vs PSA slabs in my opinion. Excited to see them hit the market. Id be bidding when they do.

Signed 1948/1949 Leaf Baseball Set - 44/98.
Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

All is see is a bunch of common cards……nothing of value……I’ll give you 5 bucks for the lot lol…….but NO PSA all the way…..you’ll get more back in the long run