NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2002, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Default Favorite Finds of 2002

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

As we all look forward to better times in 2003, I thought I would start a new thread to highlight some of our favorite finds of 2002. I thought breaking our finds down into the following categories might make for some interesting reading.

Best EBAY purchase: Near Mint Chief Meyers Yellow Colored S74 Silk in Blue Ink

Best SHOW/Auction find: Near Mint George Gibson W600 Sporting Life Cabinet purchased from Terry Knouse

Best purchase form another board member: Excellent Plus Chief Meyers White S74 Silk with Brown Ink

Item I regret passing on or a deal I was unable to close: Near Mint Roger Bresnahan Fatima T222 Card

Old 12-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

EBay: Mayo Anson from Jay Miller; James Morrison: minor chess player who wrote a lot about chess. 19th century cabinet photo. Closed in the middle of the night for 25.00

Show: T206 Plank, Fan Craze Ned Hanlon, both from Mark Macrae, one at each of his shows this year.

Favorite card from board member: Old Judge Radbourne portrait and Peck and Snyder Cincinatti Red Stockings from Jay Miller.(the peck and Snyder hasn't come yet, but i have the back among my ikons before i get on the internet).
How about mail order? Mayo Nichols from Terry Knouse. S.F. Hess Ewing from ditto.
Biggest disappiointment: (Starving?) All I can think of is forgetting to bid on a T202 I really wanted a couple of days ago (Tiner-Evers-Chance).

Old 12-28-2002, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I bought a small stack of old baseball letters. Unknown to seller (and thus to me when I bought it) were included a handwritten Jack Glasscock autobiography and a Tommy Bond handwritten letter to Ford Frick about baseball in 1876.

Old 12-29-2002, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Best EBAY purchase: Allen & Ginter Indian banner. An early, well received X-Mas gift to myself.

Best SHOW/Auction find: 2 Allen & Ginter "Black Stocking Nine" female baseball player cabinets (similar to the N173s).

Best purchase from another board member: Was able to work out a deal for a nice PSA T206 Bliss.

Item I regret passing on or a deal I was unable to close: N28 SGC 84 Mulvey.

Wishing everyone good luck and happy hunting in the new year, Keith

Old 12-29-2002, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Kieth, you told me you were giving that banner to me for Xmas

Since I didn't go to a show all year, all I have is eBay deals to brag about. The best is probably the e93 Collins I got cheap that graded SGC 70 and my A&G album of Indian Chiefs that I got $125.

A&G Indians have actualyl turned out to be a good investment. When I started buying them a little over 6 months ago I could get high grade examples for $25-30. Now it costs double that, thanks to the increased intrested since Mastro auctioned off the 2 sets a few months back.

Jay

Old 12-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Ebay:SCG graded T206 O'Hara St. Louis version
card shows: havent been to any since Nov. 2001 but Andy found me a hard to find Old Judge variation,at a show and i ended up buying it the day after the show....thanks again Andy!
From a board member: Jay Miller,a couple nice Old Judges at the beginning of the year(this answer will be the same for next years question,thanks Jay)
Card i regret passing on: Im sure theres some T206's that i wanted but passed on but the card that stands out twice was a T207 Hoff

Old 12-29-2002, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: marty

My best find was not real old. Someone was cleaning out there parents house and found 10 1958 Bell Brand Dodgers still in the original celophane package. I also was able to buy a complete set of 1933 Goudey including the Lajoie from the daughter of the one who opened the packs in 33 and asked for the missing #106 card.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Mathewson

...would have to be: (by the way, damm these pop-ups!)

1. Matty - Nadja Caramels in surprisingly nice cond.

2. Matty - M116 Blue Bkgnd also in great shape

3. Matty - 1910 E-98, red bkgnd & great stance

4. A couple neat R423 Purple Back strips (with Matty)

I also found a few T206's (lower grades) with rare backs that I really enjoy. There are a few more that I also got that I'm realy pleased with, but I'll keep the list short. All in all, a pretty good year for the collection, and a pretty bad year for my bank account (thanks to the collection...I'm glad I have a one-HOF'er habit...anymore than that, I'd be card-rich and living in a tent).

Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Show: t206 common with great ghost image on the back, $30

ebay: T229 Pet Cigs Attell and Choynski (huge $$ for me, but soooo rare . . .). 1927 Zeenut Lefty O'Doul (been searching for that one for ages). 1926-30 Exhibit PC back Hornsby, printed name variation, ex-mt.

private sale: T229 Kopec Cigs Jeffries (even rarer than the Pet Cigs), one of only two Kopecs I've seen offered in the last five years.

personal find: long-lost but newly found second cousin in Chicago sent me a photocopy and scan archive of press clips and photos about my cousins Ray Miller and Benny Berris (her father), who were professional fighters in the 1920's.